Review Round 9 vs Fremantle, Metricon Stadium, Sunday 15th May, 1:40pm AEST

Emerald Sun

All Australian
Mar 16, 2022
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Over 6000 there yesterday
Seemed less but I guess a fair few of us were standing up behind the seats out of the rain
Made enough noise for 15000 though
I was certainly surprised by the noise coming from the stands. I looked around quite a few times looking for all the Suns people cheering!

I was beside the Suns players race as well

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Loved the defensive unit we have now. 3 pretty mobile bigs, Lemmens is good match up we've missed for Dusty/Toby Greene types, Will Powell just glides around and mops everything up in the air or on the ground and Budas gives us a bit of decent ball use out of the back...Weller is fine but not irreplaceable at any price.

Getting big blokes that actually hit packs is great and makes me wonder what we were doing with Sam Day for years.

To thinks Ranks has developed from lairising in his early years to doing all the hard stuff now. If he keeps doing this stuff the scoreboard will start looking after itself in a big way pretty soon.

Brenton87

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Loved the defensive unit we have now. 3 pretty mobile bigs, Lemmens is good match up we've missed for Dusty/Toby Greene types, Will Powell just glides around and mops everything up in the air or on the ground and Budas gives us a bit of decent ball use out of the back...Weller is fine but not irreplaceable at any price.

Getting big blokes that actually hit packs is great and makes me wonder what we were doing with Sam Day for years.

To thinks Ranks has developed from lairising in his early years to doing all the hard stuff now. If he keeps doing this stuff the scoreboard will start looking after itself in a big way pretty soon.
I think Day got games for being loyal at a time when players were leaving, Day will be a purely back up players from one now we have these two.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No secret that our backs were down against StKilda Collingwood and Lions
Big difference is no makeshift backs now
All true defenders
Problem is we're one injury away from being average again
Having to use Graham Day Burgess or godforbid repeating the Swallow as a back experiment to see if the result is different( let me save some time and agony-it won't be)

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
No secret that our backs were down against StKilda Collingwood and Lions
Big difference is no makeshift backs now
All true defenders
Problem is we're one injury away from being average again
Having to use Graham Day Burgess or godforbid repeating the Swallow as a back experiment to see if the result is different( let me save some time and agony-it won't be)

I know it is extraordinarily early, but is Sandy Brock any chance of getting some senior reps should the need arise? Mac Andrew? Have not watched any VFL this year so honestly got no idea, just curious.

Probably got Sam Day too who if nothing else could make a contest down back.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know it is extraordinarily early, but is Sandy Brock any chance of getting some senior reps should the need arise? Mac Andrew? Have not watched any VFL this year so honestly got no idea, just curious.

Sam played his best footy for us a key defender IMO
They should be playing him at CHB in the VFL as the Break Glass in Emergency KPB
He's way better than Burgo or Caleb and would be great mentoring for Mac Andrew

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Just echoing what Justin Longmuir said in the press conference: it seems like the media tear into you when you lose and say your opponents played poorly when you win, but the truth is your team is playing great footy and today was a damn impressive win.
Classy of you to come and share your thoughts, thanks

The opening post on your boards GameDay thread was hard to read, poked a lot of fun at our club about Brodie and pick 19 etc but gee it was hard to argue with as it was such a dumb decision. Not the first our club has made, all the best for the rest of the year

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

IMO, no chance for Brock or Andrew this year to debut by watching them so far in VFL.

I would expect vaccination requirements to be dropped sometimes this year so personally, I would then get Liam Jones in the off-season for a couple of years (as Casboult suggested) to make sure we have a backup if Rory needs a spell or breaks down and while Brock/Andrew develop.

Last edited:

Descent

All Australian
Oct 10, 2019
Ascendant
AFL Club
Fremantle
Classy of you to come and share your thoughts, thanks

The opening post on your boards GameDay thread was hard to read, poked a lot of fun at our club about Brodie and pick 19 etc but gee it was hard to argue with as it was such a dumb decision. Not the first our club has made, all the best for the rest of the year
Footy banter is dumb. I just want to watch my team win a premiership and then watch the two new clubs win a premiership. I don't think your team needs Will Brodie, but I think we do! Maybe not the most win-win trade in the world, but I don't think you lost a lot given the profile of your midfield.

I hope there is good will between our clubs for many years to come.

Jessbek

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
Footy banter is dumb. I just want to watch my team win a premiership and then watch the two new clubs win a premiership. I don't think your team needs Will Brodie, but I think we do! Maybe not the most win-win trade in the world, but I don't think you lost a lot given the profile of your midfield.

I've told my Freo mate that if we don't make finals (likely), that I'll be firmly on the Freo train in September. Hoping for good between us also

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
IMO, no chance for Brock or Andrew this year to debut by watching them so far in VFL.

I would expect vaccination requirements to be dropped sometimes this year so personally, I would then get Liam Jones in the off-season for a couple of years (as Casboult suggested) to make sure we have a backup if Rory needs a spell or breaks down and while Brock/Andrew develop.

Liam Jones would start.

Dunno how tall Dew would wanna play but

Jones Thompson Collins Ballard

Powell Budarick lemmens is a perfect backline

Geelong have played with 6 blokes all 190cm + so it is possible.

Give Collins and Ballard the license to fly for intercepts all day!!!

Given I was keen on Darcy Moore his Free agency (800-900k) Liam Jones for half that price would be a steal

May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sam played his best footy for us a key defender IMO
They should be playing him at CHB in the VFL as the Break Glass in Emergency KPB
He's way better than Burgo or Caleb and would be great mentoring for Mac Andrew
Somewhat feel for him.

Has ended up almost being the closest thing to David Mackay in the sense of "how on earth did this player of such mediocrity make it so far", but I think it's very likely that he would have had a great career if he spent it in defence.

For players like himself, Liam Jones, and even Billy Frampton, where they have the obvious footballer skills, but just not the creativity to play forward, a more simplified role in defence can be all that's needed to completely change the face of their careers.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Freo is one of my "second" teams:p
I had the grave misfortune to witness Eagles fans first hand when I lived in Perth so decided to go to Dockers matches
Much more shall we say "family friendly?"

Back