Review Round 9 vs Greater Western Sydney @ Metricon (Sun 2/8/20 - 3:35pm)

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This and this.

You've all been spoiled by the hype.

Embarrassing to have to read sometimes
It's not about hype it's about professional footballers being able to capitalise on opportunities my 14 yo would nail. Blind Freddie could see this coming why weren't players rested/omitted from a a side that a won one of its last 4 games blowing numerous opportunities. Hello would you not play some other players and see if they will capitalise on opportunities? Really it's not that complicated

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
True reflection of where we really are this year (about 12th) but that effort was just insipid...

time for some changes, but we’ve got 6 Kids out there in either their 1st or 2nd year... no need to spit the dummy Just yet. We’re improving and on track for a premiership in 2022/23

dust off, regroup, learn and back into them on Thursday

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
True reflection of where we really are this year (about 12th) but that effort was just insipid...

time for some changes, but we’ve got 6 Kids out there in either their 1st or 2nd year... no need to spit the dummy Just yet. We’re improving and on track for a premiership in 2022/23

dust off, regroup, learn and back into them on Thursday
I hope you are not suggesting no changes.
There needs to be an absolute minimum 3.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
The fact that was the probably our worst effort for the year and we only lost by 26 speaks volumes to the fact we have genuinely improved as a football team. We still defend well even if we are horrific going forward. Last year if we played that poorly we lost by 60+.
GWS are a good side and we were still able to limit their scoring when it looked like it was going to be a blow out.
Im pissed off by the loss and the effort but there is still positives there, Collins is a freaking star and should almost be in the AA 40 squad. Luko was brilliant today, his ball use is just awesome. Buddas played really well, and Benny Ainsworth looked like he was marking the ball better then he ever has. s**t game, team selection was wrong, but there is still positives to find. On the the Saints next week with some fresh faces and let's get the 4 points

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
just watched Dews presser and it really put some things in perspective.

super excited for Flanders on Thursday - lock him in 👍

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Giants were well off their game and have been all year, not the side they have been for the last couple of years. The score flattered us and frankly i won’t be going back anytime soon if Hanley is playing, someone in the selection committee needs to stand up. Why are we holding onto Sharp, 2MP, Brodie, Flanders, Joyce, Lennon’s etc if we won’t give them a shot.

for me Hanley, Day, Dmac have to come out as a minimum, even then I think a couple of otherswould be lucky to servive

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
2MP is not going to play any better than King.

Apparently 2MP was very quiet in the practice game today as well, so I doubt he's coming in.
Is there info published about the practice match or have you heard from some connection?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It looks like some people lost it here. At least someone should be happy - we lost by less than 30.

That was some flat performance. Yet, somehow we were down only 2 goals at HT and 3 goals at 3/4. I wish we converted our shots (only one less than GWS) and put some score pressure on GWS. I felt they were beatable despite our ordinary performance.

I wish people gave more credit to GWS. Look at their list. They are in their prime, back to a full list (minus Ward) and in decent form. They put some serious pressure on our ball carriers and as a result we coughed up ball even more than usual.

Yes, they beat us at contest and clearances.

I thought we were actually able to cover their spread contrary to past.

Just watching at the stadium I have to say Collins is fantastic. I was also very impressed by B Ellis. He is way better than I thought. Luko, Ainsworth and Sexton were also very good in my view.

I was disappointed by Witts (3rd very ordinary game this year), Rankine did not show too much either, at least from my seat.

People wanting to drop King need to wake up. Unless his body needs rest he plays.

Holding no calls by umpires were shocking.

Learn from it and move on. Growing pains. Very rarely you go from the wooden spoon and 19 losses in a row to play finals :)

Looking forward to see Flanders.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
Did somebody else also notice how friendly Zac Williams was with our players after the game? He gave a hug to Noah, had a great chat with B Ellis and others.
I am happy to start rumor that Zac will join us in the off-season :cool:
If he were to be the ‘big fish’ that we were targeting I say let’s go fishing!

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Did somebody else also notice how friendly Zac Williams was with our players after the game? He gave a hug to Noah, had a great chat with B Ellis and others.
I am happy to start rumor that Zac will join us in the off-season :cool:
Zac Williams is the guy you should be chasing. Harbrow is nearly done and Hanley should be playing 2s. It’s the only weakness on your list.

Meanwhile, Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew was disappointed with his team's performance, saying there would be personnel changes for Thursday night's match against St Kilda as a result.

The Suns have lost four of their past five matches, but against the Giants were uncharacteristically poor around the ball, beaten by 20 in contested possessions and 10 in clearances.

"We just didn't deal with the heat around the ball, we coughed it up way too often," Dew said.

"Our skill level was really, really disappointing."

Somehow the Suns stayed competitive and were still an outside chance of pinching victory at three-quarter time, finishing with just one less scoring shot than their opponents.

But that was papering over some cracks.

"There'll be changes," Dew said.

"We were hoping to bring Sean Lemmens in (this week), he had the birth of his daughter too close to the game.

"He was going to come in this week.

"Given there'll be a four-day break, and the performance, we'll make a couple of changes.

"I think our numbers suggest we're a far, far greater side than last year and we're really confident of that."

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Midfield is playing better this year overall, but Swallow, Touk, Greenwood and Weller are genuine B graders who sometimes play like A graders and sometimes like C graders.

We got the full set of C grade this match, including a lack of tackles and pressure. Witts 0, Greenwood 0, Weller 1, and Swallow 2 tackles. Full time midfielders, give me a spell. Somehow Touk had 6 tackles, but did nothing else.

If we can breakeven or stay close in the midfield then we will be in with a shout for a win against most sides. Our defence is improved (even with a weak link in Hanley or Powell), our wings and flankers are better (Ellis continues to play just as advertised; been really good so far), and our forward line is more dangerous (at least in theory).

But like most sides, if the midfield plays C grade you get a C grade result. Yes we need a half back flanker and a tall defender but if want to be a consistent finals team then strongly suggest we need another genuine A grader or two in the engine room to join Rowelly.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
But like most sides, if the midfield plays C grade you get a C grade result. Yes we need a half back flanker and a tall defender but if want to be a consistent finals team then strongly suggest we need another genuine A grader or two in the engine room to join Rowelly.
Seems obvious you'd drop Hanley, push Weller to HB and bring in another genuine mid in Brodie or Fiorini
Weller wasn't our worst yesterday but I think he's a better HB than on-baller

Back