AFLW Round 9 - Western Bulldogs v Richmond at Whitten Oval, Friday March 26, 5.10pm AEDT

1616463023623.png

TEAMS / INS & OUTS:

With Lavey unavailable this week due to commitments with the Australian Opals I think they might bring in Lesosky-Hay to provide another midfield rotation. Monahan could also come back into the team for Makur Chuot.

Richmond
B: R.Miller 15 H.Cordner 23
HB: S.D'Arcy 12 L.McLelland 16 I.Ross 21
C: S.Molan 1 S.Hosking 7 H.Burchell 9
HF: M.Brancatisano 5 C.Bernardi 6 E.McKenzie 22
F: T.Stahl 24 C.Wakefield 8
Foll: G.Seymour 28 K.Brennan - C 3 M.Conti 4
I/C: P.Monahan 2 K.Dempsey 19 K.Jacques 10 S.Frederick 14 Lesosky-Hay 26

Emerg: E.Harley 27 H.McLaren 29

In: Lesosky-Hay 26 P.Monahan 2
Out: T Lavey 37 (Unavailable) Makur Chuot 34 (Omitted)

Western Bulldogs

This is the team selected last week against Adelaide.

B: N.Ferres 16 E.Gamble 14
HB: A.Guest 19 K.Lynch 10 E.Brown 9
C: S.Hartwig 15 E.Blackburn - C 2 B.Lochland 1
HF: G.Newton 5 I.Huntington 4 K.McLeod 6
F: B.Toogood 8 N.Morris-Dalton 25
Foll: C.Moody 13 J.Fitzgerald 23 K.Lamb 27
I/C: B.Gutknecht 18 E.Georgostathis 17 H.Scott 22 I.Pritchard 20 G.Lagioia 12

Emerg: B.Hunt 21 D.Marshall 26

In: TBA
Out: TBA

FORM:

Richmond

R1 (L) Home 1.6.12 v Brisbane 5.11.41
R2 (L) Away 2.4.16 v Melbourne 7.2.44
R3 (L) Home 4.7.31 v Collingwood 7.6.48
R4 (L) Away 7.4.46 v Carlton 8.3.51
R5 (W) Away 9.6.60 v Geelong 2.1.13
R6 (L) Home 5.2.32 v Nth Melbourne 10.6.67
R7 (W) Away 6.5.41 v Gold Coast 4.2.26
R8 (W) Home 5.12.42 v West Coast 5.4.34

Western Bulldogs
R1 (L) Away 6.6.42 v St Kilda 8.3.51
R2 (W) Home 6.6.42 v Carlton 5.6.36
R3 (W) Away 3.6.24 v Geelong 1.3.9
R4 (W) Home 6.1.37 v Melbourne 2.12.24
R5 (W) Home 7.5.47 v GWS 3.4.22
R6 (L) Away 2.3.15 v Collingwood 7.9.51
R7 (L) Away 3.8.26 v Nth Melbourne 5.7.37
R8 (L) Away 3.4.22 v Adelaide 12.6.78

LADDER:

1616646560646.png

PREVIEW

Firstly, have to say, as was the case with our R6 clash against Nth..... 5.10pm is a s**t time.

Western Bulldogs looked all set to claim a finals spot mid season before 3 losses in a row put paid to any chance of finals action in 2021.They are a very young side, fielding 8 teenagers so the season has probably caught up with them a bit and having to travel to Hobart and Adelaide in the last 2 weeks probably didn't do them any favors in the end. A bit of an injury cloud may also hang over gun mid Ellie Blackburn as she spent large parts of the game last week off the ground. They don't seem to have the midfield depth to match the top teams which will please Richmond who are also short a mid or two themselves but Celine Moody will be a handful in the ruck for Seymour. Brooke Lochland has certainly helped that midfield area moving further up the ground and seeing plenty of the ball. The dogs have some height down back with Gamble and new recruit Katie Lynch (a mad Tiger supporter) having her best season after switching from Collingwood's forward line to CHB. A fit Ellie Blackburn aside, the Dogs strength lies in their twin forwards Huntington and Toogood who are a very clever and dangerous pair kicking 19 goals between them for the season.

Richmond will be choc full of confidence after back to back wins. Some may say they were easy kills but you can only play who you are fixtured to play and you still have to go out and get the job done which is exactly what they did. Katie Brennan is in career best form while Ellie McKenzie has been a revelation in the midfield as has Sarah Hosking. The backline combination of Cordner, Miller and D'Arcy have been huge this year and have got better and better as the season has progressed. The forward line of Wakefield, Brennan, Stahl and Bernardi seems to be finally clicking together now putting no less than 30 goals collectively through the big sticks for the year.

I can't see either team winning by a big margin and I'm expecting a hard fought close affair. Brennan and Conti should be fired up for this clash against their old side but they can probably expect a few choice words flying their way from the doggies crowd.

Head says Bulldogs at home by less than a goal but heart is tipping Tigers sneaking over the line.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 1083962

TEAMS / INS & OUTS:

With Lavey unavailable this week due to commitments with the Australian Opals I think they might bring in Lesosky-Hay to provide another midfield rotation. Monahan could also come back into the team for Makur Chuot.

Richmond

Western Bulldogs

FORM:

Richmond

Western Bulldogs
R4 (L) Home 6.1.37 v Melbourne 2.12.24

PREVIEW

Firstly, have to say, as was the case with our R6 clash against Nth..... 5.10pm is a sh*t time.

Western Bulldogs looked all set to claim a finals spot mid season before 3 losses in a row put paid to any chance of finals action in 2021.They are a very young side, fielding 8 teenagers so the season has probably caught up with them a bit and having to travel to Hobart and Adelaide in the last 2 weeks probably didn't do them any favors in the end. A bit of an injury cloud may also hang over gun mid Ellie Blackburn as she spent large parts of the game last week off the ground. They don't seem to have the midfield depth to match the top teams which will please Richmond who are also short a mid or two themselves but Celine Moody will be a handful in the ruck for Seymour. Brooke Lochland has certainly helped that midfield area moving further up the ground and seeing plenty of the ball. The dogs have some height down back with Gamble and new recruit Katie Lynch (a mad Tiger supporter) having her best season after switching from Collingwood's forward line to CHB. A fit Ellie Blackburn aside, the Dogs strength lies in their twin forwards Huntington and Toogood who are a very clever and dangerous pair kicking 19 goals between them for the season.

Richmond will be choc full of confidence after back to back wins. Some may say they were easy kills but you can only play who you are fixtured to play and you still have to go out and get the job done which is exactly what they did. Katie Brennan is in career best form while Ellie McKenzie has been a revelation in the midfield as has Sarah Hosking. The backline combination of Cordner, Miller and D'Arcy have been huge this year and have got better and better as the season has progressed. The forward line of Wakefield, Brennan, Stahl and Bernardi seems to be finally clicking together now putting no less than 30 goals collectively through the big sticks for the year.

I can't see either team winning by a big margin and I'm expecting a hard fought close affair. Brennan and Conti should be fired up for this clash against their old side but they can probably expect a few choice words flying their way from the doggies crowd.

Head says Bulldogs at home by less than a goal but heart is tipping Tigers sneaking over the line.

Makur Chuot needed to be dropped...out of form...but

no Lavey no tigers

then again...it will be a very very tight contest...go tigers

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
So there’s at least one spot up for grabs this week.

Dargan
Monahan
Sansonetti
Lesosky-Hay
McLaren
Harley

Which one?

so your op is suggesting Lavey def out but maybe Chuot out ( I agree by the way...)

so it might just be Lavey out? So just 1 in....so I’d go with Monahan ( or samsonetti) we need leg speed)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Showed plenty Lavey , expected to return and another Pre season hoping she can step up again, this will be a great reference for where we re at in terms of pecking order for finals contention, nm blues and wb are the teams we need to leap to be a contender , prob require 4 more players and continued improvement from the rest
Go girls

View attachment 1083962

TEAMS / INS & OUTS:

Richmond

Western Bulldogs

FORM:

Richmond

Western Bulldogs

PREVIEW

Firstly, have to say, as was the case with our R6 clash against Nth..... 5.10pm is a sh*t time.

Great preview TM2! Have you seen Lesosky-Hay play lately - I wouldn't elevate her off the back of Carlton and Willy games that's for sure, just not up to it yet. Bringing back Monahan is a no-brainer! This is not the week to drop Chout - maybe could bring back Sansonetti and put Chout to the wing she has been screaming out for. Harley would be the best but is slow, or, Chloe Saxon-Jones forward and send KB into the midfield (though Chloe looked a struggle to run a VFL game out still)

Last edited:
Sounds like Lavey might be done for the season. She has had an outstanding season given she hasn't played footy since she was a kid.

She has been worth every bit of her Pick43 or whatever she was - still can't believe some didn't think her worth it - brought a professionalism, another dimension to the team the moment she walked in! Loved her work!

Sounds like Lavey might be done for the season. She has had an outstanding season given she hasn't played footy since she was a kid.

When we picked her, I thought it was a mistake. I thought the young 'uns coming through would put a line through cross-code athletes getting a game. I was very, very wrong. Lavey will poll pretty well in the B&F, I reckon.

Another great preview, TigermanM2.

We'll miss Lavey. Reckon I'd push Chuot to a wing and bring in Monahan to play HBF.

I watch the Dogs pretty closely, having supporters in the family. They've been up and down this season. Their best is pretty good. Not top shelf, but when they fire, they are better than mid-table.

A lot of whether they fire comes down to Blackburn and Lamb. Their spread from stoppages can be as explosive as anything I've seen in AFLW. They charge forward with intent - whether they have the ball or not. (Pretty fun when they don't have the ball and just run through the oppo ball carrier again and again, barging the footy their way.) Lamb isn't a long kick, and can lob it a bit, but Blackburn does claim a lot of territory. Conti and Hosking are bloody important for us this game. They need to win their share of contested ground ball and get it away from the stoppages. Getting the stronger bodies of McKenzie and KB more rotations might be helpful too. (Crazy that the 1st year kid is the strong mid!) Moody will dominate the hit-outs, but I'll back Seymour and Frederick to have more impact around the ground.

Dropping the ruck into the hole at CHB might be worthwhile, because Huntington is a ridiculous contested mark. Absolutely dominates the air inside f50 for them. Send Cordner to her. Toogood and McLeod are bloody handy too. Big arvo for Miller and Ross, respectively.

Like every game for our current team, the forward line getting the job done is critical. Still our weakest area, IMO, but the backline is probably the Doggies weakness. I'm confident Wakefield will deliver her share. She usually does. The Dogs defenders seem a bit light, so this could be an opportunity for Frederick to get a few. The balance of KB's time in the midfield or forward might be the thing that keeps Ferg up tonight.

Whether Blackburn plays is probably the biggest factor. She channels passion into physicality and imposes herself on the game, when she gets revved up. The history with Conti and KB will make her revved up. And she's very, very chirpy. I don't expect KB to take a backwards step, but she may intimidate some of our young 'uns, including Conti. If Blackburn is out, or playing sore, I reckon we win this.

Great preview TM2! Have you seen Lesosky-Hay play lately - I wouldn't elevate her off the back of Carlton and Willy games that's for sure, just not up to it yet. Bringing back Monahan is a no-brainer! This is not the week to drop Chout - maybe could bring back Sansonetti and put Chout to the wing she has been screaming out for. Harley would be the best but is slow, or, Chloe Saxon-Jones forward and send KB into the midfield (though Chloe looked looked a struggle to run a VFL game out still)

Lesosky-Hay has been serviceable. She probably had her best game of the year last week for Port which was encouraging. I am picking her simply as midfield depth in the team. She is really the only mid available and with Lavey out its the best like for like among our reserve players. Doggies midfield pretty much relies on 2 players but they are game changers and is still serviceable so I am concerned if we go one short here compared to last week.

Chloe is a fair way off. Just good to see her out on the park so the future for her is to simply get a really good block of games under her belt. My worry for her is that AFLW is just getting faster and faster and she has to get fit and find some agility. She's still only 19 so has a heap of time. She has a power of work to do. Hopefully she is prepared to do it and Tigers give her another opportunity next year.

Yeah both Monahan or Sansonetti can cover for Makur Chuot if she is omitted. Sansonetti has been playing ok. Cordner and D'Arcy have really made them fight for their spot while last year it was just a given which is good. Would like Jacques to be fighting for her spot. Dargan hasn't quite come up to the grade yet.

so your op is suggesting Lavey def out but maybe Chuot out ( I agree by the way...)

so it might just be Lavey out? So just 1 in....so I’d go with Monahan ( or samsonetti) we need leg speed)

Not sure you are getting leg speed with Monahan or Sansonetti.

Another great preview, TigermanM2.

We'll miss Lavey. Reckon I'd push Chuot to a wing and bring in Monahan to play HBF.

I watch the Dogs pretty closely, having supporters in the family. They've been up and down this season. Their best is pretty good. Not top shelf, but when they fire, they are better than mid-table.

A lot of whether they fire comes down to Blackburn and Lamb. Their spread from stoppages can be as explosive as anything I've seen in AFLW. They charge forward with intent - whether they have the ball or not. (Pretty fun when they don't have the ball and just run through the oppo ball carrier again and again, barging the footy their way.) Lamb isn't a long kick, and can lob it a bit, but Blackburn does claim a lot of territory. Conti and Hosking are bloody important for us this game. They need to win their share of contested ground ball and get it away from the stoppages. Getting the stronger bodies of McKenzie and KB more rotations might be helpful too. (Crazy that the 1st year kid is the strong mid!) Moody will dominate the hit-outs, but I'll back Seymour and Frederick to have more impact around the ground.

Dropping the ruck into the hole at CHB might be worthwhile, because Huntington is a ridiculous contested mark. Absolutely dominates the air inside f50 for them. Send Cordner to her. Toogood and McLeod are bloody handy too. Big arvo for Miller and Ross, respectively.

Like every game for our current team, the forward line getting the job done is critical. Still our weakest area, IMO, but the backline is probably the Doggies weakness. I'm confident Wakefield will deliver her share. She usually does. The Dogs defenders seem a bit light, so this could be an opportunity for Frederick to get a few. The balance of KB's time in the midfield or forward might be the thing that keeps Ferg up tonight.

Whether Blackburn plays is probably the biggest factor. She channels passion into physicality and imposes herself on the game, when she gets revved up. The history with Conti and KB will make her revved up. And she's very, very chirpy. I don't expect KB to take a backwards step, but she may intimidate some of our young 'uns, including Conti. If Blackburn is out, or playing sore, I reckon we win this.

Great post RB. Yep Blackburn and Lamb are pretty much their midfield. Blackburn put the whole team on her back and carried them over the line for a few wins earlier in the season. An outstanding footballer when fit.

I really like how Ellie McK has been resting forward. Didn't have her goal kicking boots on last week but she is more than a handful and a really difficult match. Any time her and KB have the ball within 40-45m from goal its a scoring opportunity for us.

AFLW Tigers looking for consistent finish

1616640246396.png

Richmond AFLW coach Ryan Ferguson is targeting a four-quarter performance as the Tigers head into Friday night’s final round clash with the Bulldogs.

Ferguson, as he has all year, said the Tigers would focus on consistency of effort rather than the potential for a fourth win in five weeks, which would see the Tigers finish as high as eighth on the AFLW ladder.

“We are really excited about this week’s game,” he said, speaking to the media on Sunday.

“The biggest thing I have been impressed with about this group is their consistency with effort. That was the one thing I really wanted to see (this year).

“Regardless of the scoreboard, regardless of ups and downs, I just wanted to see us stick to our game and continue to improve and be consistent in those behaviours.

“That all season has not dropped at all, I have been really happy with that, and we have got another week to try and improve our game (and that) is what we will be focusing on (this week).”

Ryan Ferguson speaks to the media after the Round 8 match against the West Coast Eagles.

A key interest point of the contest will be Katie Brennan and Monique Conti’s return to Whitten Oval, albeit two years after they left their first AFLW club.

Brennan, who also captained the Bulldogs, is coming into the game in career-best form, having booted 11 goals across the past five weeks whilst also averaging 15 disposals.

“Katie is growing with the group, learning with the group,” Ferguson explained.

“She has been an unbelievable leader for us. She has been outstanding; her character has shone through this year and probably last year, to be fair.

“She leads the way with the way she tries to grow her game and improve, and that has been a standout feature.”

beCt23uv.jpg

Katie Brennan of the Tigers runs with the ball during the round eight AFLW match between the Richmond Tigers and the West Coast Eagles at The Swinburne Centre on March 21, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty Images via AFL Photos)

Ferguson also praised the work of recruit Sarah D’Arcy who has not only made a successful transition to Richmond but to a new role across half-back, having played as a marking forward at Collingwood for four seasons.

“We struggled to win the ball back last year (with) intercept possessions and intercept marks,” he explained.

“We thought she might be able to give us something there (because) she reads the ball really well, and she is competitive.

“She is proving to be a really good half-back intercept marker, and she is poised, competitive, and resilient. She has given us plenty.”

oaU8rLP6.jpg

Sarah D'Arcy of the Tigers handpasses the ball during the round eight AFLW match between

From what I gather its only Woodward and Whitford on our injury list with Lavey unavailable.
Alice Edmonds is back playing for Port.

MAR 25. 2021. 12:01 PM
Injury wrap
Sarah Black

Star Richmond draftee Tessa Lavey will miss the Tigers' last game for the season due to Olympic training camp commitments with the Australian Opals.

Lavey – who had only one season of junior footy behind her before this year – has impressed with her athleticism and her booming kick, averaging 11 disposals in a hard-running role.

Fellow Tiger Alana Woodward will not play an AFLW game this year, with a calf injury having now sidelined her since January.

The Western Bulldogs will be without key back Hannah Scott against Richmond, having sprained her ankle in the final quarter against Adelaide last week.

But the Dogs will be looking to bring back Kim Rennie for their final game of the AFLW season, after the ruck overcame a two-week ankle injury.

Deanna Berry (ACL), Ange Gogos and Lauren Spark (both ankle) are the remaining injuries on the Dogs' list.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 1083962

TEAMS / INS & OUTS:

Richmond

Western Bulldogs

FORM:

Richmond

Western Bulldogs

PREVIEW

R4 (L) Home 6.1.37 v Melbourne 2.12.24, that's a win, they're on 4 wins, 16 points :)

R4 (L) Home 6.1.37 v Melbourne 2.12.24, that's a win, they're on 4 wins, 16 points :)

Cheers sometimes when you do these and you use the old cut and paste method you can get caught out.

Will Edmonds remain on the list or be cut , hadn’t had a look in with improvements from Seymour and Frederick goes into ruck pt too

Edmonds was a bit of a fave of mine in the VFLW, so it hurts to say, but I reckon she won't be re-contracted. Our ruck division has been good this year. Unbelievable improvement from Seymour and a better season from Frederick.

Having said that, we'll need an upgrade to compete against the top shelf teams. We saw what happened against North and King. Gabby isn't going to grow 4 inches. And Sabs isn't going to cover the ground better than she is this year.

When we picked her, I thought it was a mistake. I thought the young 'uns coming through would put a line through cross-code athletes getting a game. I was very, very wrong. Lavey will poll pretty well in the B&F, I reckon.

Yeah if votes go past the usual 1,2 and 3 - she will do well.

Edmonds was a bit of a fave of mine in the VFLW, so it hurts to say, but I reckon she won't be re-contracted. Our ruck division has been good this year. Unbelievable improvement from Seymour and a better season from Frederick.

Having said that, we'll need an upgrade to compete against the top shelf teams. We saw what happened against North and King. Gabby isn't going to grow 4 inches. And Sabs isn't going to cover the ground better than she is this year.

Bit the same RB. Last week against Geelong may have been Edmonds first hit-out for the VFL season - not sure how she went - I could find no vision. There is a nice spot there for her to show something i would have thought - I live in hope for her!

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Sabs will be moved off marque not sure where that stands couldn’t see anyone else throwing kitchen sink at her

Will Edmonds remain on the list or be cut , hadn’t had a look in with improvements from Seymour and Frederick goes into ruck pt too

Sadly reckon Alice might be in strife.

Perfect height at 189cm but has issues with kicking, hasn't offered much around the ground and not great at the ground ball.

If you look at the likes of Breann Moody and Lauren Pearce and even Sharni Norder they are tall but are like midfielders. Sharni is new to the game and looks awkward as hell but by god she puts in 200% and actually influences games with her grit and determination. Moody and Pearce are the types that we need to search for and you'll find some in the draft.

Gabby Seymour has really been an asset around the ground and her leap has made up for lack in height. Would still like us to pickup up another ruck in the draft though.

Last edited:
Back