AFLW Round 9 - Western Bulldogs v Richmond at Whitten Oval, Friday March 26, 5.10pm AEDT

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I kinda liked this season in the end (much better than last year). We ended up kicking above 30 points every round since Round 2, something that only Carlton can say.
A lot of positives and I think that we can progress next year to establish ourselves even more in the league.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Not only were the girls taking on the dogs also taking on the Umps. It was literally amateur land, seriously, invest in professional umpires.

Anything and everything went the dog's way but for Richmond, even the obvious free's for holding the ball, in the back, too high you name it weren't called. Even the commentators harped on about it. Tigers absolutely crucified. Dogs 24 frees to Tigers 11

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
I tipped this game would go down to the wire....pity the appalling umpiring decided it and then some 24-11 frees...13 more kicks, at crucial times in crucial positions on the ground...resulting in at least 2 goals

how can umpiring be so pathetic...it’s not adjudicated fairly...one maggot pays very soft frees...at the other end...
play on

Will Frederick ever mark the ball?

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Prob a fairly true margin gap between the sides , thought we were dead set stiffed by the umpire, HTB decisions turned on the head and pinned for holding man instead , head high missed to branc dead in front , several of these, absolute bs , solid game without too many highlights , gotta say , gee dargan is bloody ordinary , if she gets a contract I’ll be stuffed

Really good steps forward this season and I’m proud of em.
More resilient and played some really good footy.
We’re not easy beats anymore and got some real quality on the ground and in the coaching group.
I dont really want to throw down anything negative today, however
...I was a bball referee for about 10-12 years and I never complain about umpires, but fmd that was bloody atrocious

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Really good steps forward this season and I’m proud of em.
More resilient and played some really good footy.
We’re not easy beats anymore and got some real quality on the ground and in the coaching group.
I dont really want to throw down anything negative today, however
...I was a bball referee for about 10-12 years and I never complain about umpires, but fmd that was bloody atrocious
Yep I reckon they were a shade better however we gutsed the game out and with a ounce of luck could have closed that gap further ,pace and depth is the key to leap frogging a few sides , well done girls have enjoyed the year ,watched all the games

From a marketing aspect Sabrina has been great for the club. Her story, her look, 2 x All Australian. No problem at all having her as our marquee player as she was at Brisbane. She brought the exposure the media interest and that turns into sponsors dollars.

To be honest I think she got a bit comfortable after 2017/2018. She stopped improving while the AFLW just got faster, stronger, bigger. No doubt she got caught out but I think the penny has dropped. She has gotten a lot fitter this year and is playing much better than 2020.
Not sure it was a case of getting too comfortable, likely the opposite with personal and family issues messing her up a bit.

From 8 contested marks in one game against the reigning premiers (in R1 2018) to 5 contested marks across 2021's 9-game season. The competition has improved, but her on-field slide probably says more about the momentum she lost while dealing with some off-field stuff.

There were times in tonight's game when she was covering the ground the best she had in years. Where to from here, who knows.

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep. Highly rated junior. Adelaide’s first draft pick a couple of years ago.

Metcalfe playing well but closer to the end of her career than the start. Not sure Adelaide would let her go.

Adelaide girl. Would she even move states?

Metcalfe has been serviceable this year but Gould appears to be the be well ahead of McKinnon. Other gun Youngsters like Bella, Strom and Caris have been getting games so a player of a similar pevelwho isn’t might be gettable.

Plenty of SA girls have relocated to QLD, WA and Victoria and there is no harm in asking with the appeal of playing in the Melbourne market having worked well previously for the likes of North, Richmond and St Kilda.

I am not sure whether Richmond will be as successful this offseason in luring the likes of Cordner and Hosking from other Victorian teams. While the draft is the way forward one or two more mature players may balance the list nicely as they cut the dead wood and improve their depth once again.

The Lions, Bulldogs and Tigers been the competitions big improvers in 2021, if Richmond can back it up again they are an outside chance of finals next year, but it will be tough to push past the likes of Melbourne, North and the Dogs in 2022 unless they win all of their direct head to head games which will be difficult.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
The fact that we rebounded in the 3rd qtr showed spirit. We just seemed to lack that bit of class across the field....I wish Conti would take the occasional easy option when she first gets the ball. She often doesn't hit targets with her kicks, and make her skill an advantage to the team.
Dunnno how to fix it. Maybe just across the board skill improvement of her team mates
Great to see the team have multiple wins. Congrats to all involved

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure it was a case of getting too comfortable, likely the opposite with personal and family issues messing her up a bit.

From 8 contested marks in one game against the reigning premiers (in R1 2018) to 5 contested marks across 2021's 9-game season. The competition has improved, but her on-field slide probably says more about the momentum she lost while dealing with some off-field stuff.

There were times in tonight's game when she was covering the ground the best she had in years. Where to from here, who knows.
Fair enough , she certainly wasnt fit last year and played well below the level, this year was ok in parts. IMHO just survives as a list spot , not marque though

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
The fact that we rebounded in the 3rd qtr showed spirit. We just seemed to lack that bit of class across the field....I wish Conti would take the occasional easy option when she first gets the ball. She often doesn't hit targets with her kicks, and make her skill an advantage to the team.
Dunnno how to fix it. Maybe just across the board skill improvement of her team mates
Interesting comment on Conti , early on she was handballing more and her teammates werent clever enough to navigate thru the congestion so no doubt she was told to get on her bike and kick it . I agree should work further on her craft to sharpen those passes , i back her to do it

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Metcalfe has been serviceable this year but Gould appears to be the be well ahead of McKinnon. Other gun Youngsters like Bella, Strom and Caris have been getting games so a player of a similar pevelwho isn’t might be gettable.

Plenty of SA girls have relocated to QLD, WA and Victoria and there is no harm in asking with the appeal of playing in the Melbourne market having worked well previously for the likes of North, Richmond and St Kilda.

I am not sure whether Richmond will be as successful this offseason in luring the likes of Cordner and Hosking from other Victorian teams. While the draft is the way forward one or two more mature players may balance the list nicely as they cut the dead wood and improve their depth once again.

The Lions, Bulldogs and Tigers been the competitions big improvers in 2021, if Richmond can back it up again they are an outside chance of finals next year, but it will be tough to push past the likes of Melbourne, North and the Dogs in 2022 unless they win all of their direct head to head games which will be difficult.
I can’t see why we wouldn’t be successful in securing trades , clearly we have an environment the girls want to play in

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Interesting comment on Conti , early on she was handballing more and her teammates werent clever enough to navigate thru the congestion so no doubt she was told to get on her bike and kick it . I agree should work further on her craft to sharpen those passes , i back her to do it
Or McKenzie to play Centre more?

Have thought this the whole season, but with not enough support around her at times have been loathed to be critical - so I agree with you TTT. The team simply doesn't get enough 'bang for it's buck' from Conti's remarkable amount of possessions. Given the season we had it seemed pointless to spend time trying to analyse it, but when you consider how much she has the ball, I'm sure the Club will spend time looking at the cause and effect. I think she often works so hard for such little effect (comparitively speaking to other mids at other clubs).

The Dogs were just too good in the first half. Cordner, not for the first time this season, was main thing keeping us hanging in the game.

When the half time siren went, the team all came together in a very tight huddle before heading down the race. You could feel the momentum had shifted when they came back out. Tigerish.

Second half was a stark improvement. I thought Seymour had taken mark of the year and then Ellie... Wow. First bonefide, knees on the shoulders hanger I've seen a female footballer pull down. She is something special.

I might be feeling sentimental about this being the last game of the "season", but I'm giving my BOG to Seymour. Thought she was tremendous all day. Competitive in the hit-outs against a much taller opponent. Won more contested ground balls than you expect your ruck to win. And provided a good marking target.

Cordner, Conti, Brennan and McKenzie all good.

Sigh. Sad it's done. It felt like it was just finding a rhythm.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
The Dogs were just too good in the first half. Cordner, not for the first time this season, was main thing keeping us hanging in the game.

When the half time siren went, the team all came together in a very tight huddle before heading down the race. You could feel the momentum had shifted when they came back out. Tigerish.

Second half was a stark improvement. I thought Seymour had taken mark of the year and then Ellie... Wow. First bonefide, knees on the shoulders hanger I've seen a female footballer pull down. She is something special.

I might be feeling sentimental about this being the last game of the "season", but I'm giving my BOG to Seymour. Thought she was tremendous all day. Competitive in the hit-outs against a much taller opponent. Won more contested ground balls than you expect your ruck to win. And provided a good marking target.

Cordner, Conti, Brennan and McKenzie all good.

Sigh. Sad it's done. It felt like it was just finding a rhythm.

Yeah that McKenzie was a ripper and she'll be a 25 possie per game player next year, our female Dustin Martin
Going forward i'd really like Seymour to play a true ruck rover of yesteryear possie
Even though she's only been in the game for 3 years, her improvement has been enormous
Let a taller player ruck and have her running through the midfield, i don't want her to get banged up rucking against bigger, taller players all the time
She's got good skills, very athletic, decent height, let her use these facets to our advantage more, let her be a mid rather than a 1st ruck
This season is going to be a spring board for more success next season, 3-4 wins against teams in the bottom to mid tier as a start, build on a few upsets against top 4-6 teams :)

Yeah that McKenzie was a ripper and she'll be a 25 possie per game player next year, our female Dustin Martin
Going forward i'd really like Seymour to play a true ruck rover of yesteryear possie
Even though she's only been in the game for 3 years, her improvement has been enormous
Let a taller player ruck and have her running through the midfield, i don't want her to get banged up rucking against bigger, taller players all the time
She's got good skills, very athletic, decent height, let her use these facets to our advantage more, let her be a mid rather than a 1st ruck
This season is going to be a spring board for more success next season, 3-4 wins against teams in the bottom to mid tier as a start, build on a few upsets against top 4-6 teams :)

I agree.

The first half of that game against Norf showed us what happens when we meet a proper dominant ruck. We just can't get the footy. To be more competitive against the top 6 teams, we'll need a ruck who, at least, is competitive against the likes of Emma King. Love to see Gabby play the Grigg wing / 2nd ruck role, but I can see her being a pretty handy ruck rover.

If it was my call, I'd settle for Seymour as our number #1 for now. Gabby goes well enough. She got more hit-outs than either Moody or Rennie.

IMO, we have bigger problems, and drafting a big batch of kids so we have depth is high on my priority list. We can all point to players that we don't think are up to the level, but the reality is that we don't really have many, if any, VFLW players putting pressure on them at the Selection Committee.

Back