Preview Round 9 (Yes....really!) Suns vs Hawks in Launceston Sat May 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tom Lynch's first game back last night and boy did it look like it
Currently we have one marking target in the forward 50...Dicko +/- Sexy I guess
Should Peter Wright get a call up to ease the pressure on Tom or just cotton wool him until the back half of the season against a less lethal backline
I can't think of a better place to give K Brooksby a run...a cold Tasmanian cow paddock in a no win situation
We should be trying to manage Tom Nicholls and Keegan seems the best shock absorber for that
Dion needs a rest....swap for Bozza?
Bring Matty Shaw back in for Hall or Russell....at least he breaks lines...as JK Snr famously said
"Dooooo something"

OUT:

Hall
Matera
Lonergan
Leslie OR McKenzie
Russell

IN:
Wright OR Brooksby
Shaw
Boston
May
Thompson

I know they play differing positions, but my OUTS were completely useless and made no real effort last night. Bringing in players who actually WANT to play will help develop them.

Swap Lonergan for May, Hall for Shaw, Russell for Boston, Leslie/McKenzie for Thompson, and Matera for either Wright up forward or Brooksby as back up ruck or sub.

I just want to see Wright play damn it! Plus I think Boston is worthy of a senior call up, especially after the s**t he's been through this year. Sounds like he's responded well.

As a side note, I kept my eyes on Raines most of the night because it was the only hilarity or excitement I could find. He was a true annoyance and pest, shutting down whoever he was on almost completely. He was being rotated around the Collingwood players like the town bicycle, but was extremely effective. Good work Rainsey!

Lonergan out and Brooksby as a sub?
Lonergan is undisciplined as *, and clearly has no self control. He lacks intensity, but not skill. He's a downer on our club and treats the game like a hobby, not a career. He's got the goods, but not the attitude (sounds like most of our players :p ). Needs to be dropped back to the NEAFL for a game or two.

As for Brooksby being sub, I was mainly referring to Nicholls (who has been excellent lately) running out of steam in the final quarter, but upon further research, Brooksby isn't an overly tall ruckman and plays well as a forward, so could basically take Day's usual role outright (which was why I said Wright OR Brooksby, both to play backup ruck - resting forward). In highsight, Shaw would be a better option as sub though.

Last edited:
From the short number of posts here so far, nobody has mentioned Jack Martin. Does anyone know when he'll be back? He's been listed as 1-2 weeks for 3 weeks now.

Whoever we take down to The Land That Time Forgot next week they should either be
1) Superfit and carrying nothing that a week or 2's rest won't help
2) Part of our longterm development
or
3) Sacrificial lambs

Selection policy will reflect a bit of all 3 I'd wager

I watched Rainsey closely last night as well
A very professional footballer and will make the trip on the steamer or gyrocopter (or whatever it is they run these days) over Bass Strait

Roughead, Gunston, Rioli, Bruest all up forward.
We need May, Thompson, Malceski back this week.
Martin next week?
Ablett should come back the game before the bye, get some match fitness before a week off.
Anyone know how Glenn is going? Would love to see him back soon.
Need to make a lot of changes this week. Shaw, Brooksby and Boston deserve a run in the senior team.
Might sound like a lot of changes but i don't want to wait for another 100 point loss. At least if these players get back we can have a little bit of excitement for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive oval. If you use your leg speed and ball use is half decent then you will be right in the game. (We are battling along this year)

Massive oval. If you use your leg speed and ball use is half decent then you will be right in the game. (We are battling along this year)
Ball use is certainly not a strength. Appreciate the polite encouragement.

What the hell is going on with our injury list,,, I mean , in 2013 we copped it, in 2014 it was worse, and 2015 is just unreal... our injury list so far this season ( and that's even injuries occurring during the pre season) is unbelievable. I haven't seen a club so decimated by injury in all my lifetime of following the AFL. Is there something wrong withhow the fitness coach and his department are training the players ?????

What the hell is going on with our injury list,,, I mean , in 2013 we copped it, in 2014 it was worse, and 2015 is just unreal... our injury list so far this season ( and that's even injuries occurring during the pre season) is unbelievable. I haven't seen a club so decimated by injury in all my lifetime of following the AFL. Is there something wrong withhow the fitness coach and his department are training the players ?????

Have you ever seen the effects of horse racing on 2 and 3yo thoroughbreds?
The attrition rate is appalling
Your dog is eating the results of a fractured baby horse cannon bone from trackwork every time you crack a can of Pal
A few of us on here could see this happening like a slow train wreck way back, but hey, we were The Suns
We were going to build a Champion team from a team of champion 16yos
18yo's being sent out week after week to face up to big hairy iron-men?
And the senior guys getting injured trying to cover for them or from pushing too hard
Color me un-surprised

Have you ever seen the effects of horse racing on 2 and 3yo thoroughbreds?
The attrition rate is appalling
Your dog is eating the results of a fractured baby horse cannon bone from trackwork every time you crack a can of Pal
A few of us on here could see this happening like a slow train wreck way back, but hey, we were The Suns
We were going to build a Champion team from a team of champion 16yos
18yo's being sent out week after week to face up to big hairy iron-men?
And the senior guys getting injured trying to cover for them or from pushing too hard
Color me un-surprised
Yep there is a reason the NFL in America have a college system so blokes debut at 22 or 23, and they wear pads. Bodies mature enough to compete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back