Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

As I post this we will be versing USA in the playoff :eek:

After 86 minutes it's Trinidad and Tobago 2, USA 1, while Honduras lead Mexico 3-2 and Panama 1-all with Costa Rica

If those scores stand USA ends in 4th place in the group, sending them to the play-off with the Roundballaroos

EDIT - Panama just scored, which would place Honduras 4th, with USA missing out.

Into added time in all games now...

...and Honduras it is for the Aussies - in terms of world rankings, probably the best result for us.

In other news, Argentina saved their bacon with an away win against Ecuador, with Chile who did well at the last WC missing out this time. New Zealand gets to play 5th placed Peru for a spot at the big dance.

In Europe Holland missed out altogether, while Italy have to go through a play-off round

Last edited:
View attachment 427045 So many salty Syrian fans posting on the FIFA WC Facebook page, just about the same message :drunk:
I feel for the Syrian players. The Assad government has been know to punish players when they lose. Just like that idiot son of Qaddafi did on the Libyan players and Saddam Hussein apparently ordered on Iraqi players.

...and Honduras it is for the Aussies - in terms of world rankings, probably the best result for us.

In other news, Argentina saved their bacon with an away win against Ecuador, with Chile who did well at the last WC missing out this time. New Zealand gets to play 5th placed Peru for a spot at the big dance.

In Europe Holland missed out altogether, while Italy have to go through a play-off round
Just looked at the CONMEBOL results and can't believe Chile missed out. They were ranked 3rd mid last year and have floated between 5 and 10 since then. They were runners up in the Confederation Cup in Moscow a few months ago, and won the 2015 and the Century edition in 2016 of the Copa America.

Watching the Socceroos is almost like watching Port Adelaide play. I get what Ange is trying to do - instead of playing wingbacks (wingers who start in a defensive position), he's asking his wingers to start in a neutral position and then fall back and help defend. Kind of like Westhoff really.

I know exactly why he benched Mooy too - watching him take ten touches on the ball and then pass off instead of initiating fluid, crisp passing to pull the defence out of position just goes to show that playing in any English league other than the EPL (where there are enough foreign coaches and players to encourage better play) is hazardous for your health.

Reckon he's decided to quit because Australian football fans aren't interested in actually winning the World Cup by learning how to play a system that is fluid and adaptable - they just want to qualify and go on a trip every four years.

The above tweet asks for an examination of the grass that Syrian players could not keep their feet on. Is this serious? Although wickets to favour team bowlers is done the world over the only reason for their players falling down would be they weren't wearing the right boots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saw this on the news last night. I think the penalty shoot out was 19 all, this happens and then the next shot is missed.

Don't know what Guus Hiddink is doing at the moment, but if Ange walks away from the Socceroos gig there's another Dutchman at a loose end as of recent...

Everton sacks manager Ronald Koeman following poor start to Premier League season

RONALD Koeman paid the price for Everton’s poor start to the season, losing his job with the team in the Premier League relegation zone despite spending about $200 million on new players.

The Dutchman was dismissed on Monday, two months into his second season in charge following a 5-2 loss to Arsenal on Sunday.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/99427b707e3f8059e172f0fdb5017bde

Just looked at the CONMEBOL results and can't believe Chile missed out. They were ranked 3rd mid last year and have floated between 5 and 10 since then. They were runners up in the Confederation Cup in Moscow a few months ago, and won the 2015 and the Century edition in 2016 of the Copa America.

We are all in awe. But that's the life in Conmebol. It is the hardest of all soccer confederations.

They rebranded themselves as the Force because it was a directive from Soccer Australia to try and replicate what Perth Glory were doing. But in typical fashion, they thought they knew better and continued to 'appeal' to the Italian community. They were always Juventus.

It's all right here:

They did what they could, huh?

Also this:

The club was formed by an expatriate group of Italian migrants and took the name of the most glorious Italian Football Club, Juventus. The clubs’ initial attempt to don the famous black and white stripes of Juventus were thwarted when the local Football Federation ruled that there could only be one black and white team per league and the black and white of Port Adelaide took precedence. So it was that the newly formed Juventus wore a navy blue strip with a white “J” before finally being permitted to wear black and white stripes from 1949.

These campaigners sabotaged a Port Adelaide side in the league and stole their colours.

I'll say it again: **** City.

In São Paulo, Italian workers founded a club, initially with the name of the company. Few years later, however, they got an agreement and changed the club's name and colors. They were mostly from Turin, so the club was renamed "Juventus" and gained Torino's colors:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clube_Atlético_Juventus

saw this on the news last night. I think the penalty shoot out was 19 all, this happens and then the next shot is missed.

This from the Thaivisa website :

This is the moment a Thai lower league cup game was decided by the most bizarre penalty kick.
The Thailand Cup semi final game between Bangkok Sports Club and Satri Angthong finished 2-2 after full time and went to penalties.
Incredibly, the penalty shootout finished 19-19 when it was Sports Club’s goalkeeper’s turn to take a spot kick.
After stepping up to the penalty spot, his penalty struck the crossbar which sent the opposition goalkeeper rushing out in celebration.

Discovered the U-17 World Cup on Viceland tonight. England just beat Brazil 3-1 in the semi final, with the other semi between Mali and Spain to follow.

A fella by the name of Rhian Brewster scored all 3 goals for England after he had also scored a hat-trick in England's 4-1 quarter final win against USA. You'd think there might be a large amount of expectation heaped on him in the next few years. He's with Liverpool's academy at present and plays in the U23s. He's been on Liverpool's substitutes bench but hasn't made his EPL debut yet.

Discovered the U-17 World Cup on Viceland tonight. England just beat Brazil 3-1 in the semi final, with the other semi between Mali and Spain to follow.

A fella by the name of Rhian Brewster scored all 3 goals for England after he had also scored a hat-trick in England's 4-1 quarter final win against USA. You'd think there might be a large amount of expectation heaped on him in the next few years. He's with Liverpool's academy at present and plays in the U23s. He's been on Liverpool's substitutes bench but hasn't made his EPL debut yet.
Spain won other semi final

Thanks to Grave Danger for the info re the U17’s WC. A very attacking final between England and Spain, with the Spanish taking an early 2-0 lead only for England to hit back and win 5-2.

The Poms youth sides have had a great 2017, finishing 2nd at the U17 Euros, losing to Spain, and winning:
  • Toulon Tournoi (an U21 competition that is very highly regarded),
  • U20 WC, and
  • U19 Euros.
Now for the English system to really get hold of them and wipe any semblance of flair out of their body.

Thanks to Grave Danger for the info re the U17’s WC. A very attacking final between England and Spain, with the Spanish taking an early 2-0 lead only for England to hit back and win 5-2.

The Poms youth sides have had a great 2017, finishing 2nd at the U17 Euros, losing to Spain, and winning:
  • Toulon Tournoi (an U21 competition that is very highly regarded),
  • U20 WC, and
  • U19 Euros.
Now for the English system to really get hold of them and wipe any semblance of flair out of their body.

I recall seeing that about half of their U20 WC winning team might choose (or be convinced) to play for their ancestral African national sides at senior level. I wonder if the U17 team has a similar profile.

I recall seeing that about half of their U20 WC winning team might choose (or be convinced) to play for their ancestral African national sides at senior level. I wonder if the U17 team has a similar profile.

You would think it was fairly similar. If I was Gareth Southgate I would be playing a bit of youth in their upcoming WC warm up games an entice them with “perform and you’re off to Russia”.

Oh s**t...

869689734-compressor.jpg

http://dailyfootballshow.com/mixed-reactions-from-socceroos-fans-following-tim-cahills-ankle-injury/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back