Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I am disappointed Mexico is out. They have been great to watch. They just have a problem scoring more goals from all their counter attacking moves.

I thought they were the dominate side in the first half and I drifted in and out of sleep for the second half but from what I saw it was brilliant defence from Brazil that saved them in the first 60 minutes. How do you rate Brazil's defensive efforts GremioPower compared to previous world cup efforts?

The Japan v Belgium game was a beauty. I made it to 2-2 and then fell asleep. Cant believe Belgium scored in the dying minute and how they drove the ball from the goalie catching the ball from a final Japan corner. He could have played it safe and killed the last minute, but did a quick accurate throw to a teammate who took the ball quickly forward and a couple of passes and kick the winning goal with about 15 seconds to go.

Its been a great World Cup. Lots of upsets, the VAR controversy, the standard of play with some of the big sides taking their time and being patient and the smaller sides using fast movement especially on the counter attack to rip open the big sides.

And some of the goals on the half volley, slicing the ball with lots of spin and the goalies don't pick the trajectory, have been brilliant.

Its ****ed up my sleeping patterns the last week or so, with so many 3.30am games since the double up group games, compared to the first 10 days or so when there was a 9.30pm game, an 12.30am game and a 3.30am game so I got to watch 2 games without nodding off and sometimes catching part of the last game of the night. And when the host does well it always add to it.

And thanks Optus for ******* up and giving all but 7 of the 64 games to SBS so I don't have to watch on a phone or lap top.

Last edited:

I am disappointed Mexico is out. They have been great to watch. They just have problem scoring more goals from all their counter attacking moves.

I thought they were the dominate side in the first half and I drifted in and out of sleep for the second half but from what I saw it was brilliant defence from Brazil that saved them in the first 60 minutes. How do you rate Brazil's defensive efforts GremioPower compared to previous world cup efforts?

My comment as the game went on was that Brazil has a "Plan A," but no "Plan B." So, when the opposition presses us up on the field, we have no idea on what to do. However, it could be "Plan B," but I am who is not comfortable with it. I still think we are too slow in our transition from defense, and if we are pressed, we are unable to move forward.

It has happened against both SUI and MEX. Still, in both games, our D hold on, absorbed the attacks (but for a corner), and kept any inferiority away from the scoreboard. When the opposition got tired and moved back down field, we switched to "Plan A" and went for the kill.

We couldn't retake the lead against SUI, and we failed to score in the 1H against MEX (Ochoa was brilliant!). However, we managed to raise our game in the 2H, William made his "debut", and it was too much for MEX to handle.

On Brazil's capacity to defend, I may be biased, but this hasn't been an issue for years. We only defended badly when nothing was working properly; otherwise, Brazil has been a balanced side. I may be wrong, because I haven't checked our numbers, but I don't think we had no philosophical problem between defense and offense for quite some time.

The Japan v Belgium game was a beauty. I made it to 2-2 and then fell asleep. Cant believe Belgium scored in the dying minute and how they drove the ball from the goalie catching the ball from a final Japan corner. He could have played it safe and killed the last minute but did a quick accurate throw to a teammate who took the ball quickly forward and a couple f passes and the winning goal with about 15 seconds to go.

BEL-JAP was the best bad game of this World Cup.

BEL counter was a beauty — brutal, powerful, fast, straight-forward, full of intent from beginning to end. Nominee for best team-play of the Cup so far.

But it shouldn't have never happened. JAP should never have crossed the ball and, once having done it, someone should have immediately fouled the keeper and not allowed BEL taking a quick FK. JAP paid with their elimination for being naïve.

Its been a great World Cup. Lots of upsets, the VAR controversy, the standard of play with some of the big sides taking their time and being patent and the smaller sides using fast movement especially on the counter attack to rip open the big sides.

And some of the goals on the half volley slicing the ball with lots of spin and the goalies don't pick the trajectory have been brilliant.

I am loving it, as always. It never fails to deliver!

Its ****** up my sleeping patterns the last week or so with so many 3.30m games since the double up group games compared to the first 10 days or so when there was a 9.30pm game, an 12.30am game and a 3.30am game so I got to watch 2 games without nodding off and sometimes catching part of the last game of the night. And when the host does well it always add to it.

That's how I feel since I started following Port. :)

Nerd talk, but I think JK Rowling got the rules wrong.

Catching the snitch couldn't be worth 100 goals, but be a game in itself. Match would still be over, but whoever catch it score 1 game. The team with more goals also scores 1 game. A quidditch match would have three possible outcomes: 2-0, 1-1, or 1-0 (if teams are tied on goals).

The 100-goal rule makes the scoring part of Quidditch irrelevant.

He can breathe again, he had promised to shave off his hair if Colombia won the World Cup.

And Maradona had promised to go easy on the white stuff. He can’t breathe easy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maradona accusing the England players of diving and cheating. Pot calling the kettle black. And in Maradona's case that probably should be pot belly, he's certainly jarmaned a bit after his exit from sport.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-c...es-anti-england-rant-calls-world-cup-victory/

QF schedule :

Friday 6 July
France vs Uruguay - Nizhny Novgorod, 3pm (Match 57)
Brazil vs Belgium - Sochi, 7pm (Match 58)

Saturday 7 July
Sweden v England - Samara, 3pm (Match 59)
Russia vs Croatia - Kazan, 7pm (Match 60)

Last edited:
Didier Deschamps looking more like Albert Steptoe these days

EBF3A2C1-5C2C-441F-9772-8B40C39EBC96.jpeg

B35315BE-BEFB-42E5-9405-BD978AA302D2.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back