Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s sh*t because it has come to this, it didn’t need to, but greed wins out.

They aren’t clubs anymore, but multi National franchises, and it’s truly sad to those of us who grew up with football and the real rivalries.

Losing those teams would be great, lose the dollars, whatever, we’ll have a better league then.
The championship shits on the premier league as a competition.
We are just never gonna agree on this. I started supporting Pool before I started supporting Port so definitely watched before the days of Abramovich and massive $$. I loved it then and love it now.

Respect your opinion though and those that feel that way. Just finished Sunderland Til I Die which gave me a whole different level of respect for the Championship.

Or put it this way..... The team's what join the superleague continue to grow and prosper ect.. The team's still in the EPL become like Norwood.... Nobody cares except the old timers hanging onto the great days as the snafl I mean the EPL becomes a feeder league...

For the supporters of those involved, I hope it works.

Go back to the original proposed ESL. The League was to be overseen by, what were identified as, Foundation Clubs. Would you think that the non-Foundation Clubs would get the same deal and be able to operate on an even keel?

Your team wasn‘t identified as one of these elite teams and would effectively operate in a competition that is managed by their competitors. Do you think Spurs (who were identified as a Foundation Club), or any of the other clubs, would‘ve given up any of their advantage for the benefit of Arsenal?

Given the various proposals, the proposed ESL would effectively replace the latter stages of the current Champions League and have a much smaller impact on the local, national leagues, than the AFL had on the state leagues.

We are just never gonna agree on this. I started supporting Pool before I started supporting Port so definitely watched before the days of Abramovich and massive $$. I loved it then and love it now.

Respect your opinion though and those that feel that way. Just finished Sunderland Til I Die which gave me a whole different level of respect for the Championship.

Hah, nice one, I know I’m not necessarily correct.

Just my opinion, and it’s nice to talk about football.

I loved football, but hate what it has become and rarely watch anymore. When a rich owner changed Cardiff’s colours to red my passion died.

The way the FA Cup (for example) is now treated is the biggest travesty in sport.

It was so purely about the game.

Money has destroyed the game I loved, I’ve been to 64 of the current league stadiums and plenty in Europe. I’ve transferred that obsession to Port now.

All that being said, I’m still going to rant :). I’m like the ex that will never get over his first love!

I'm not for or against the superleague... I think one day it will happen anyways?

Now I'm not an expert on European sports but don't a few (basketball for one) already have superleagues?

If... And it's a big if they could set it up (superleague) properly with main teams from all the countries and yeah relegation ECT.... It could work.

I loved football, but hate what it has become and rarely watch anymore. When a rich owner changed Cardiff’s colours to red my passion died.
There is nothing worse than s**t like this.

To use an AFL analogy, it would be like a new senior coach coming in to Port and destroying the captain wearing the #1 tradition.... wait

I'm not for or against the superleague... I think one day it will happen anyways?

Now I'm not an expert on European sports but don't a few (basketball for one) already have superleagues?

If... And it's a big if they could set it up (superleague) properly with main teams from all the countries and yeah relegation ECT.... It could work.

I’m all for the European league , it’s too far gone now. I’m also a Juventus fan (Italian football was shown on fta in Wales in the 80’s and 90’s and has a decent following because of it, as well as players like John Charles, Ian Rush and Aaron Ramsey having the Welsh connection) I’ll have a team to ‘follow’ in it.
There was a loophole that allowed non English language channels to show it, so the Welsh language channel 4 (S4C) did.

The issue with football is there are very different cultures and traditions around the game in different countries.

Spain (for example) has only really ever had the top division, lower divisions were used for reserve teams etc. whereas in the UK due to the pyramid system ALL clubs technically always had a chance to get to the top or to win the FA Cup, even the team you and your mates would have a kick around with on the weekends.

To use a footy analogy, Port Pirie has as equal a chance of making it to the AFL as Norwood. All you needed to do was be good at football. That WAS special, it’s gone now.

Last edited:
I can thoroughly recommend the docudrama 'Anne' now showing on BBC First to all sports fans even those who do not follow the round ball code. The programme tells the story of the aftermath of the Hillsborough Disaster of April 15th 1989. In the crush 97 Liverpool fans lost their lives and one woman Anne Williams, whose son Kevin died in the crush, never gave up campaiging for a full and open Judicial Inquiry into the police action on the day. Maxine Peake is brilliant as Anne Williams.

I will not to spoil the story by telling what happens but Anne Williams was a champion who exposed a police cover up.

This is why a lot of, maybe most of Chelsea fans will back Abramovich to the hilt. 21 trophies over all 8 competitions Chelsea has qualified to play in over 18 years.

FNotl7YXIAEBwQs

.. 2016/17 Premier League is missing off this photo.

That's why you get tweets like this

But I reckon Matthew Syed sums up the full picture well. There is plenty of other sports washing of dirty money by individuals and dirty regimes over many leagues, and across the big sports, but especially the world game because of its global reach. Now might be the time to start cleaning things up, because soon the world will move on.

Last edited:
This is why a lot of, maybe most of Chelsea fans will back Abramovich to the hilt. 21 trophies over all 8 competitions Chelsea has qualified to play in over 18 years.

FNotl7YXIAEBwQs

But I reckon Matthew Syed sums up the full picture well. There is plenty of other sports washing of dirty money by individuals and dirty regimes over many leagues, and across the big sports, but especially the world game because of its global reach. Now might be the time to start cleaning things up, because soon the world will move on.

This is what makes Chelsea's case different than, for instance, Newcastle's. UKR has asked help from NATO, and due to proximity, NATO has decided to get involved - even if only indirectly. The UK is a NATO member. Thus, it is acting accordingly.

Politically, I know NATO is trying to hit Putin's supporting circle; which includes most of the Russian oligarchy. So, any mega-rich Russian has become a suspect and a target.

However, I have no idea what are the laws involved. I also have no idea whether such measures are effective. Therefore, I can't judge them.

Chelsea is simply another side-effect of the conflict.

FNotl7YXIAEBwQs

Abramovich opened the door for the bullshit it has all become.

But yeah, he's no worse than all the others. Including Cardiff's owner.

They are all money laundering and sports washing. British Football really sold its soul in 1992.

Fcuk you Liverpool 😎.
Nah, completely dominated us for most of the game. Yes if Zinks had put away that chance it might’ve been different, but there was only one team deserved to win that, and it wasn’t us. We did work bloody hard though, just a different class.
As for Klopp only knowing about Nottingham due to him watching Robin Hood as a kid. The only way I knew about Jurgen was through his more famous brother Klippity 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fcuk you Liverpool 😎.
Nah, completely dominated us for most of the game. Yes if Zinks had put away that chance it might’ve been different, but there was only one team deserved to win that, and it wasn’t us. We did work bloody hard though, just a different class.
As for Klopp only knowing about Nottingham due to him watching Robin Hood as a kid. The only way I knew about Jurgen was through his more famous brother Klippity 😉
I'm sure you've watched my old mate Johnny Owen's docco on Clough (I believe in Miracles).

Have you seen his others? Three Kings is perhaps the best sports documentary I've ever watched! The true origins of the best of British football coming from 3 men from similar backgrounds. Even madder when you consider Ferguson and Dalgleish worked under these guys as well.

I'm sure you've watched my old mate Johnny Owen's docco on Clough (I believe in Miracles).

Have you seen his others? Three Kings is perhaps the best sports documentary I've ever watched! The true origins of the best of British football coming from 3 men from similar backgrounds. Even madder when you consider Ferguson and Dalgleish worked under these guys as well.

Certainly have watched Miracles. It’s even had another run in recent weeks.
Will have a look for the others. Cheers 🍻

The Socceroos lost 0-2 to Japan tonight and will finish in third place in their group, meaning a play-off against the third placed finisher in the other Asia group (99.9% certain to be UAE) for the right to meet the 5th placed South American team for a place in the World Cup finals.

Trouble in the other group tonight - locals unhappy about their chances of progressing being snuffed out by the bottom ranked team?

1648130320551.png

Last edited:
Its all over for Qatar this year/quadrennium . Well we will go to the knockout games, but not the Big Dance IMO.

Because of Covid there are going to be one off games in the next two pases all in Doha Qatar.

First between the 2 x 3rd placed teams in Asia, win or lose against the Saudis we finish 3rd, will probably win that out in a penalty shoot out, that's on 7th June in Doha.

And then either on 13th or 14th in Doha the winner of the two 3rd placed AFC teams above, plays the 5th placed CONMEBOL which at this stage is Peru but could be either them or Uruguay or very slight chance it could be Chile as these 3 teams all have 2 games left and Uruguay 22pts v Chile 19pts, Peru 21pts v Uruguay 22pts, Chile play Brazil 1st away and Peru play Paraguay 9th at home.

On either 13 or 14th the other confederation knockout game will be played in Doha - 4th placed CONCACAF team likely to be Panama (Canada only needs 1pt to qualify from final 3 games and both USA and Mexico need 5pts from 3 games) and winner of Oceania which is almost certain to be NZ.

Last edited:
Sacking coaches is standard in soccer when things don't go to plan but they should wait. Maybe Arnie isn't the answer, but our bloody border policies have made it a bloody tough qualifying 2 years having to play so many home games away from home in neutral countries usually the middle east.

11 players unavailable, most because of covid protocols doesn't help.

We just don't have the cattle we once did and all the above issues make it even harder to get an auto qualifier like 2010, 2014 and 2018 out of Asian Confederation.

In 9 games its 4W-3D-2L. The 2 loses to Japan aren't anything unreasonable.

The draw to Saudi in pouring rain in Sydney was disappointing and was a poor result as we didn't play well.

But its 2 draws in the second part of the phase after we were 3-1-1 that is the real critical poor performance. The 1-1 draw with a weak China in neutral Sharjah (China's home game) and a 2-2 draw away vs Oman when we gave away a penalty in the 89th minute that was the result that said we won't automatically qualify.

If we have a full squad, we should beat either Lebanon or Syria in Doha on 7th June, Although the game might have to be played at midnight when its only 32 degrees - like the marathon at the World Athletics championships there in 2019. 7th June is around the traditional start date of a WC.

I can't see us beating Uruguay a week later in Doha, but are a chance if its Peru.

Sacking coaches is standard in soccer when things don't go to plan but they should wait. Maybe Arnie isn't the answer, but our bloody border policies have made it a bloody tough qualifying 2 years having to play so many home games away from home in neutral countries usually the middle east.

11 players unavailable, most because of covid protocols doesn't help.

We just don't have the cattle we once did and all the above issues make it even harder to get an auto qualifier like 2010, 2014 and 2018 out of Asian Confederation.

In 9 games its 4W-3D-2L. The 2 loses to Japan aren't anything unreasonable.

The draw to Saudi in pouring rain in Sydney was disappointing and was a poor result as we didn't play well.

But its 2 draws in the second part of the phase after we were 3-1-1 that is the real critical poor performance. The 1-1 draw with a weak China in neutral Sharjah (China's home game) and a 2-2 draw away vs Oman when we gave away a penalty in the 89th minute that was the result that said we won't automatically qualify.

If we have a full squad, we should beat either Lebanon or Syria in Doha on 7th June, Although the game might have to be played at midnight when its only 32 degrees - like the marathon at the World Athletics championships there in 2019. 7th June is around the traditional start date of a WC.

I can't see us beating Uruguay a week later in Doha, but are a chance if its Peru.
Uruguay are through so it’s Peru. Mind you I don’t think we’re anywhere near good enough to go past them. Unless we get another Gus like coach and start playing with some cohesion and pizazz. We’ve been boring for a while now.

Well, well - UAE beat South Korea last night to finish third in their group and will be Australia's opponent in the play-off on June 7. Peru, who finished 5th in South America will meet the winner for entry to the WC finals. Both those games are one-offs, not home and away, both to be played in Doha.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back