Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that the FA Cup should qualify for the Champions League. It’s a shame not be taken as equivalent to the EPL.

The League Cup, then, would be a “cup proper”, while the Shield would be what it already is: for the minnows, a consolation tournament; for the big clubs, a heated practice for their reserves.
The FA Cup was considered a higher honour than the league until the late 80's and Premier League put the nail in the coffin.

The Croatia v Japan game was very entertaining to watch and draining. Japan's penalty shots were poor.

I fell asleep straight after it and woke up when Brazil were 4-0 up. Alisson performed some great saves when Korea were trying to score a consolation goal. GremioPower I was half asleep but were Brazil's defence cruising in the second half, trying to help set up flashy goals or were they truly defending hard, given defence has been your greatest concern since pre tournament.

Will have to watch the first half replay during lunch time.

Last edited:

That third goal the guy Richarlison? was taking the p***.
Was like he was playing beach football with his mates.

Serial lair - got roundly criticised for showboating in a Tottenham match earlier this year. I think he's scored more goals at Qatar than he has for Spurs this year though.

Who would lose more if the Olympics were disregarded?

If you thought Uruguay, you were almost right. It would be fully right considering semifinals-only.

In truth, Uruguay (-220 pts) would lose practically as much as the Netherlands (-206).

However, considering the Quarterfinals ranking, if the Olympics wouldn't count, then the biggest loser would be...
Italy!

Right after the Italians (-302) come 7 teams (5 of those being part of the Big-10).
For me, the rankings actually make more sense with the inclusion of the pre-World Cup tournaments than without it.

Still, these are the World Cup-only rankings:

SF: There's no more clear Top-8. From France (4th) down, everybody is packed close together.
QF: There's no more clear Top-10. From Argentina (3rd) down, everybody is packed close together.
Great stats but you need a better colour than olive green at the top. Either a bright green or light blue so the numbers and name are easy to see.

The FA Cup was considered a higher honour than the league until the late 80's and Premier League put the nail in the coffin.
Has a competition / cup had a greater fall in status in world sports than the English FA Cup?

As a kid even in Oz it was promoted as a huge event, stayed up to watch it most years, then once I started driving always went to a mates place or licensed venue to watch it, even for most of the 90's after the EPL had started. The last decade its been an after thought. I don't think its been on Free TV in Oz for a decade.

Has a competition / cup had a greater fall in status in world sports than the English FA Cup?

As a kid even in Oz it was promoted as a huge event, stayed up to watch it most years, then once I started driving always went to a mates place or licensed venue to watch it, even for most of the 90's after the EPL had started. The last decade its been an after thought. I don't think its been on Free TV in Oz for a decade.
Really, no. It's such a shame as well because it is (was) so unique and genuinely felt magical!

Europe and Man Utd didn't help it.

I aldo think a big part is the number of foreign players in the league, they don't get the 'romance' of playing against a non league side.

Really, no. It's such a shame as well because it is (was) so unique and genuinely felt magical!

Europe and Man Utd didn't help it.

I aldo think a big part is the number of foreign players in the league, they don't get the 'romance' of playing against a non league side.
So the Bosman ruling as much as the EPL has killed it off? Bosman probably allowed the Champions League to became so big.

So the Bosman ruling as much as the EPL has killed it off? Bosman probably allowed the Champions League to became so big.
It was all connected really, everything from Bosman to the Premier League were a long term plan.

The Croatia v Japan game was very entertaining to watch and draining. Japan's penalty shots were poor.

I fell asleep straight after it and woke up when Brazil were 4-0 up. Alisson performed some great saves when Korea were trying to score a consolation goal. GremioPower I was half asleep but were Brazil's defence cruising in the second half, trying to help set up flashy goals or were they truly defending hard, given defence has been you greatest concern since pre tournament.

Will have to watch the first half replay during lunch time.

It’s hard to say. Brazil clearly came back to the second half on cruise-control. The press wasn’t the same.

Also, our forward line tried really hard to set a goal for Raphinha.

Yet, I don’t think we were disregarding how dangerous the South Koreans can be. We just did enough to keep them away.

(I still think their goal was upheld on PITY grounds. It was offside.)

Again, it's stuff like this that doesn't endear the game to the Australian public. If that happened against Australia your average Joe dismisses the game as a game for cheats and divers. I know we are in the minority here and the rest of the world doesn't give a s**t about Australia or Australian soccer, but its why culturally soccer will never be a top line sport in this country.

One cannot kick an opponent. It can be accidental. It’s still a free.

One cannot kick an opponent. It can be accidental. It’s still a free.
He was kicking the ball. The Brazilian player stuck his foot in to try and get contact. The contact was minimal. The Brazilian went down like he'd been shot. The play was on the very outer edge of the box, facing away from goal. Even if technically there, it is at best cynical. The penalty for such actions is far far too harsh. It doesn't appeal to most Australians sense of fair play. It is part of the reason Australians don't particularly warm to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another reason why SBS have to keep the WC rights.

I reckon they have had 8 to 10 foreign nationals who have played in Oz at some time, some have moved here permanently who have been involved in pre/post game commentary and had Tunisian national team player Fahid Ben Khalfallah who played for Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar for 4 or 5 season and then coached an NPL side in Victoria, was commentating at the ground with Basheer and Wilkshire when Oz played Tunisia about their national team to give a different perspective.

When 9 had the rights in 2002 they just had the usual anglo suspects talking heads, who struggled to know much about other nations outside the big 8 or 10.

Ok have watched the first half on replay. Brazil could have been 8-0 up at half time.

Geez both countries could have scored in the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half.

This was a sublime goal by Richarlison

And this was pretty good by Paqueta but how deft was the kick, no gentle lifting of the ball by Vinny Jr.

All credit also to Paik Seungho for this ripper shot to finally get past Alisson.

GremioPower can you see videos in these SBS tweets I put up, or are you Geoblocked? Or do use a VPN?

I have been blocked watching videos on a couple of UK based twitter accounts

GremioPower does Vinni Jr get racially abused in Spain by his own fans at Real Madrid or just by opposition fans? I only half heard Martin Tyler talk about this at half time.

I don't think the Korean player was reckless, careless or used excessive force. He sole intention was to kick the ball away. The Brazilian stuck his foot out to try and illicit contact. That's what I saw.
He was careless. He was trying to play the ball, indeed, but didn’t pay attention to Richarlison.

GremioPower does Vinni Jr get racially abused in Spain by his own fans at Real Madrid or just by opposition fans? I only half heard Martin Tyler talk about this at half time.

I don’t remember mistreatment by Madridistas, but I could be wrong.

I don't think the Korean player was reckless, careless or used excessive force. He sole intention was to kick the ball away. The Brazilian stuck his foot out to try and illicit contact. That's what I saw.
That penalty decision is consistent with the way the game is officiated everywhere. Also consistent with / say the interpretation of tunnelling in AFL. It's on the aggressor to avoid dangerous contact.

There's two issues, first Aussies don't understand the rules because many only tune in every 4 years. Also, as you say, diving doesn't work with the Aussie sporting belief set. Some other nations think of it as a skill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back