Fixture Round One 2019 - Sunday game against GWS in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Have heard that our first game will more than likely be against Fremantle in Perth either on Saturday night or Sunday twilight.

Reasoning is Freo are celebrating their 25th year in the comp and their first ever home game was against us, so they have requested for this fixture. I would say the AFL will tick this off. Freo will also wear another retro jumper that game (different to the "25" jumper they unveiled last week) So it could be the anchor jumper is back.

But seems as if we will be playing Round 1 vs Freo at Optus.

Always best to play away in round 1 plenty of time to prepare a chsnce to get an away game out of the way. The AFL loves the following we have in Perth

Makes sense Eagles got round 1 at the new stadium last year. Means Freo will this year and rotation of home derbies this year aswell.

I'd be fine with this, good to get a WA game out of the way early. Though I do reckon at the start of the season teams like Freo at home will be a danger game for most. Freo's list isn't that bad its just a bit thin so they get exposed once they get a few injuries.

Good news for the Perth-based Bomber fans, but another away Freo game in the early rounds usually spells trouble.

Bombers by 87, Shiel best on with 42 touches and 3 goals.

We've lost our last 3 games against Freo in Perth in the first 6 rounds (as a guide as to when it's usually still pretty warm/hot over there)

We've lost our last 3 games against Freo in Perth in the first 6 rounds (as a guide as to when it's usually still pretty warm/hot over there)

I can understand the 2017 loss being somewhat related to the conditions given it was really hot and we were playing our 3rd game in 11 days as a result of the midweek ANZAC day and faded badly in the second half.

In 2018 though we just put in an underwhelming performance. Ran out the game just fine. It had nothing to do with conditions.

I'm hopeful we may have got our crap together with interstate performances after going 4-1 this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mm first few rounds Fremantle is a very different side to latter season Fremantle. Would much prefer to play them in the 2nd half of the year.

Having said that, agree with those that say an interstate trip is always good to get out of the way Round 1.

Exactly, it's before they've figured out that they're terrible and lose hope/confidence/start tanking. They're a weak team, especially if they don't get Hogan or Kelly, and we really should be stuffing them but I'm sure they would get up for the big occasion and beat us yet again in a stupid game we shouldn't be losing - exactly the same as 2017 and 2018.

On the other hand, if we do get up and win it's a great start to the season - one interstate trip out of the way and one win on the board. Also, since I started seeing my current partner we're 0-3 against Freo in Perth (and 0-5 since that memorable 2013 comeback win) so would love to break the duck, as games against Freo at Etihad/Marvel are just too simple.

Get an interstate trip out of the way early. And Fremantle aren't 'good' early in the season, they are only good after getting thrashed by Port Adelaide like in 2018 and 2017.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back