Fixture Round One 2019 - Sunday game against GWS in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind a trip to Perth to face the Dockers first up. We only went down by 16 points last time we played Freo in Perth in round 2 this year, and I remeber well when we beat the Eagles over there by 28 points in round 14 - so our form in Perth is pretty damn decent!
We will also have a much better team this time around. I just had a look who didnt play in that round two 16 point loss to Freo - and we will likely add the following players to our 22;-

Shiel, a fit Daniher, Gleeson, Francis, SMACK, and Fantasia

Thats 6 pretty good ins right there - plus the likes of Laverde, Myers, Redman, Ridley & Guelfi all who didnt play last time and could play roles. We are so much better positioned this year to beat the Dockers over there - or even beat West Coast again. Got a feeling we are in for a HUGE year

Last edited:
We will smash them and every other team next season. Lots of natural improvement from the best u25 list plus Shiel and the injured players back will be massive.
Wouldn't be surprised if we only drop a couple games next season.
Easily our best team since 2000.

Fremantle in Perth?

Enough to make many of us nervous in the past. In 2019? Doubtful.

Games aren't played on paper but if we are even half serious about going places next year, this is a game we win. Travel and playing in Perth isn't really a factor... yep, the Dockers will want to start the year on the right foot and are even more 'dangerous' at home... but we are a team they won't want to be playing too much next year.

My only preference is for an evening/night game! Sick of playing these guys early in the season when it's about 37 degrees over there. Not only does it impact this particular game but future weeks of lethargy.

The players know another soft start to the season cannot be tolerated.

Get the Shiel trade organised this week, add him to the midfield, get a good pre-season in a majority of our list and have them up and running for the start of the season... we win.

We should've beaten them by 80+ points this year at Etihad had it not been for dreadful inaccuracy (and them kicking them out of their arse most of the game).

Sat night (pref fri night) with a Sunday game the following week.
Whilst the game itself has been a curse for us in recent years, the followup is generally no better.

Freo evening game in Perth Rd1.
Suns in Vic the following week on a sunday please. At Marvel with the roof closed please.

Would this be played March 23rd/ March 24th 2019?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Isnt round 1 always a split round? Playing Freo and having nearly 2 weeks off will be good.
When has it ever been a split round?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beat them in their first ever game in Perth and spanked them in their first final, also in Perth. Go for the hat-trick lads!

Ah well, the last two round one games at home have been nice. The AFL were bound to use Essendon to put bums on seats for an interstate team sooner or later.

Before that it was 2 in 16 years I think. Use us? We are their go to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back