Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Collingwood:
IN: Nathan Kreuger, Will Hoskin-Elliott
OUT: Mason Cox (ankle), Trent Bianco (omitted)

From the Collingwood website game preview:
"Collingwood kicked over 100 points on Friday night for the first time since round two last year. McRae's attacking game style sees players run and carry at every opportunity, always pushing towards goals.". In that game, the Pies also landed 60 tackles.

Questions:
Who will the Pies put on gun recruit Rachele, to keep him quiet?
Will Adelaide start as slowly as last Sunday?
How will Nicks use Dawson in this game and Gollant/ Pedlar/ Cook?
Will O'Brien/ Keays/ Sloane/ Mrouch be able to compete effectively against Grundy/ Lipinski/ Pendelbury/ de Goey?
Will Cox's absence help the Crows?
Can Schoenberg/ Himmelberg/ Sloane/ Jones lift from last week and do some proactive damage?
Will the 6-day/ 8-day break be a factor in the last quarter?

Many of the young Crows will benefit from the MCG experience.
However, I fear a solid loss is on the cards: Collingwood by 30+ points.

Collingwood:

"Collingwood kicked over 100 points on Friday night for the first time since round two last year. McRae's attacking game style sees players run and carry at every opportunity, always pushing towards goals.". In that game, the Pies also landed 60 tackles.

Questions:
Will O'Brien/ Keays/ Sloane/ Mrouch be able to compete effectively against Grundy/ Lipinski/ Pendelbury/ de Goey?
Can Schoenberg/ Himmelberg/ Sloane/ Jones lift from last week and do some proactive damage?

All valid questions. We need a very strong start with elite intensity. If we come in playing cute football again, Nicks will start losing the members very quick. Nicks has a habit of priming the squad for cute precise football though and I don't think that is serving him too well. We should have won the Fremantle game. So as long as we come out firing and make a game of it, whether we win or lose becomes null and void. I can stomach losing a match in a rebuild if we keep showing improvement and make a game of it and take our chances. Last weeks 1st quarter was like most of 2020, just submissive and crap.

The pies won't care about Rachele as his goals were mostly opportunistic, rather than the danger aerial dominance and lead up power forwards presents. It's maths really. By Rachele kicking five, Fremantle prevented twice as many goals through good defensive structures. So...five goals got off the chain to a small forward is something Fremantle couldnt have given two stuffs about. The mission to prevent Fogarty, Himmelberg and Thilthorpe from kicking a bag of goals each paid off and they got the win. If you change your defensive structures to prevent a small forward from scoring and the big talls kick 3 to 4 goals each then you've probably still lost the game. The only time they will care whose on Rachele is if the Crows clear out the forward arc and have him in the square 1 on 1.

Overall, If Nicks fails to get the club to fire a shot and we get smashed, question marks around whether Nicks is the right man for the job will be beginning to appear. The game against Essendon last year was inexcusable and right now, he doesn't have any excuses as to not have the crows making a game of it.

Not much to say really other than let's hope it's a better spectacle than last week. The close finish didn't make up for that diabolical first half.

The fact we got back into the game and almost stole it suggests we have character and ability. We showed a never die approach at times last year too. Which is fine, but we can't play cute and cuddly first quarters like we are saving ourselves for a grandstand last half running over the top of our opposition. This is becoming a pattern and almost expected we will have a flat quarter and our opposition will have a run on.

Are we thinking late change and Thilthorpe back in? Give him a bit of a rev up by dropping him on paper

Collingwood:

Questions:

We don't cope well with run and gun. We'll be getting destroyed if they run at us between the arcs. Our defenders will not want to read this thread. That our mids will be jogging towards them at half forward whilst their opponents are running in a wave unpressured and about to deliver into the 50 won't matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact we got back into the game and almost stole it suggests we have character and ability. We showed a never die approach at times last year too. Which is fine, but we can't play cute and cuddly first quarters like we are saving ourselves for a grandstand last half running over the top of our opposition. This is becoming a pattern and almost expected we will have a flat quarter and our opposition will have a run on.
The first half was terrible, and may well be the worst we've ever played, as judged by Sanders, but I don't understand the bolded reference. As I saw it, we were sluggish and reactive, but the main problem was a disposal efficiency of 0%, a skill problem. Everyone was kicking it straight to the oppo. If not, then we would have been in a much better position.

I wonder if we could come up with something to get our mind on the mob early.

Maybe just before the game starts we line up ............
Game is at MCG, not Victoria Park...

All I'll say is a couple of you blokes would give Leo Tolstoy a run for his money. Any chance we can get the abridged versions?
Adelaide by plenty.

The first half was terrible, and may well be the worst we've ever played, as judged by Sanders, but I don't understand the bolded reference. As I saw it, we were sluggish and reactive, but the main problem was a disposal efficiency of 0%, a skill problem. Everyone was kicking it straight to the oppo. If not, then we would have been in a much better position.

I think it was a system problem, coming out of defence we seem confused about how we wanted to move the ball.

What we did, skill wise, was horrendous; but the lack of system and organisation was stark

Things that are 100% coaching

I think it was a system problem, coming out of defence we seem confused about how we wanted to move the ball.

What we did, skill wise, was horrendous; but the lack of system and organisation was stark

Things that are 100% coaching
That sounds promising as it's more correctable than players being not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back