Game Day Round V, 2019: The Lycett Strikes Back (West Coast vs. Port)

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Bull

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Great preview sir. Absolutely elite.

With the rate of improvement since my attempt 3 weeks ago even Tolstoy himself won't be enough for the grand final preview

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
If our performance matches the OP, we will win comfortably.

Think this one will be tight. Port have historically matched up well on us, Rain on friday does even it again.

Don’t think we’ve hit our best form yet, which is pleasing given we would go 4-1 with a win this week.

I’d like to see Hutchings to take Rockliff this week in the contests. I’m not worried about Rockliff getting 30 + touches, he does get a lot of the ball backward of centre, but his impact in clearances is pretty important.

Ebert is playing forward this year and I think Shep should take him as Ebert is good overhead. I think Cole could be given the job on Gray when he moves forward.

Should be a good game. Port started the year playing a more attacking brand of footy, I doubt the game ends up looking the same as last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Alright, thnx for playing all! Time for some (pseudo)analysis of our results.

METHODOLOGICAL LIMITATIONS

We've had almost 300 responses click through to 'submit'. However, these results of which are skewed by the mandatory 'back' button, which allows people to try out multiple endings.

A further problem is there is no population control, so some of you campaigners would have done this multiple times. Like you don't even care about the scientific method or replicability of this study. * you.

Lastly, thanks to a lack of precision in the tools, there's no way of tracking choices that loop backwards, such as the 'SPP melt' or 'Infinite Masten HTBs'.

All in all, there are so many flaws with this data set that we can be almost certain that the collective wisdom of the bigfooty eagles board is represented accurately here.

SOME (MINIMAL) WORRY ABOUT THE RUCK

1 ruck.JPG

Here we see that a significant number of people backed our champion premiership ruckman Scott Lycett to come out firing.

2 ruck.JPG

However, the number of people thinking that our ruck dept. would at least be able to break even was quite significant.

Looks like we are going in with both Vardy and Hickey, from Simmo's presser. There is some justified concern about this if the weather is bad, but we're not freaking out about this matchup.

MIDFIELD MATCHUPS

3 midfield.JPG

Some genuine disagreement about our midfield. What a surprise! #priddisholdingusback

But that's fair enough, given the highs and lows we have seen by our boys in the middle this year. Add in the possibility of any moisture. Time to get the oily balls out.

Meanwhile, some people (~19 or so) have identified Rockliff is a problem that needs containing. His own midfield coach came out earlier in the week saying that Rockliff needs to focus on being more damaging and not racking up dinky possessions. So let's chalk this one up to the "I want to explore every permutation" mob who took this survey multiple times.

4 mid.JPG

FORWARD EFFICIENCY

Some crazy stats going about lately re how efficient we are, and how inefficient Port have been so far. So it's interesting to see a clear consensus about who our matchwinner up front is gunna be, based on the options in the poll:

5 fwds.JPG

CONCLUSION

The Port board won't be happy if they win, as it gets in the way of their push to fold the club / sack woosha / putoutyrtarps / whatever. So it's hard to see anything but a resounding Eagles victory as the only happy ending to this natrrative.

Luckily, the very scientific results here confirm this hypothesis. Eagles by 5 goals!

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
For those interested, yes there was quite a bit of time put into this (somewhere around 15-20 hours, spread out pretty evenly over 6 weeks); and no, I won't be ever doing anything like this again in fact I retire and will spend my days on a beach with puppies / in germany enjoying hedonistic pleasures 'til I die.

Port_Girl_92

Senior List
Mar 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You guys still clapping Gaff on every possession even after his coward punch of an 18 year old.

but in all seriousness he guys a star - wish we had a Gaff. We have a sniper in Jonas but he'll assist more goals for you guys this week then for us.

Alright, thnx for playing all! Time for some (pseudo)analysis of our results.

METHODOLOGICAL LIMITATIONS

We've had almost 300 responses click through to 'submit'. However, these results of which are skewed by the mandatory 'back' button, which allows people to try out multiple endings.

A further problem is there is no population control, so some of you campaigners would have done this multiple times. Like you don't even care about the scientific method or replicability of this study. **** you.

Lastly, thanks to a lack of precision in the tools, there's no way of tracking choices that loop backwards, such as the 'SPP melt' or 'Infinite Masten HTBs'.

All in all, there are so many flaws with this data set that we can be almost certain that the collective wisdom of the bigfooty eagles board is represented accurately here.

SOME (MINIMAL) WORRY ABOUT THE RUCK

View attachment 657114

Here we see that a significant number of people backed our champion premiership ruckman Scott Lycett to come out firing.

View attachment 657115
However, the number of people thinking that our ruck dept. would at least be able to break even was quite significant.

Looks like we are going in with both Vardy and Hickey, from Simmo's presser. There is some justified concern about this if the weather is bad, but we're not freaking out about this matchup.

MIDFIELD MATCHUPS

View attachment 657119

Some genuine disagreement about our midfield. What a surprise! #priddisholdingusback

But that's fair enough, given the highs and lows we have seen by our boys in the middle this year. Add in the possibility of any moisture. Time to get the oily balls out.

Meanwhile, some people (~19 or so) have identified Rockliff is a problem that needs containing. His own midfield coach came out earlier in the week saying that Rockliff needs to focus on being more damaging and not racking up dinky possessions. So let's chalk this one up to the "I want to explore every permutation" mob who took this survey multiple times.

View attachment 657120

FORWARD EFFICIENCY

Some crazy stats going about lately re how efficient we are, and how inefficient Port have been so far. So it's interesting to see a clear consensus about who our matchwinner up front is gunna be, based on the options in the poll:

View attachment 657129

CONCLUSION

The Port board won't be happy if they win, as it gets in the way of their push to fold the club / sack woosha / putoutyrtarps / whatever. So it's hard to see anything but a resounding Eagles victory as the only happy ending to this natrrative.

Luckily, the very scientific results here confirm this hypothesis. Eagles by 5 goals!

I probably threw it out by just repeatedly doing the one where Nic Nat storms the field like WWE.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
You guys still clapping Gaff on every possession even after his coward punch of an 18 year old.

but in all seriousness he guys a star - wish we had a Gaff. We have a sniper in Jonas but he'll assist more goals for you guys this week then for us.

Even After!? We're clapping him FOR his coward punch of an 18 year old.

but in all seriousness I would say a big part of the cheering is to counteract the boos he was getting both vs cwood and from freo supporters in the derby (who are well within their rights to boo).

Back