Preview Round V: Dees vs the lethargic Tigers

haha so potentially twice in 3 weeks our games are being changed up due to a situation that has nothing to do with us again

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is it worth chucking May forward??

Tigers are obviously a Mosquito Fleet up Forward so Hibberd, Smith and possibly Jetta can take those Med Forwards.

B - Jetta (Constagna), Lever (Lynch), Smith (Riewoldt)
HB - Salem, Hibberd (Edwards), Harmes
C - Langdon, Oliver, Tomlinson
HF - Melksham, T McDonald, Hannan
F - Pickett, May, Fritsch
Foll - Gawn, Viney, Petracca
Int - Vandenberg, Rivers, Brayshaw, Bennell

In - Bennell. Jetta
Out - Hunt, Lockhart

Is it worth chucking May forward??

Tigers are obviously a Mosquito Fleet up Forward so Hibberd, Smith and possibly Jetta can take those Med Forwards.

B - Jetta (Constagna), Lever (Lynch), Smith (Riewoldt)
HB - Salem, Hibberd (Edwards), Harmes
C - Langdon, Oliver, Tomlinson
HF - Melksham, T McDonald, Hannan
F - Pickett, May, Fritsch
Foll - Gawn, Viney, Petracca
Int - Vandenberg, Rivers, Brayshaw, Bennell

In - Bennell. Jetta
Out - Hunt, Lockhart

No. May plays on Lynch.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
With any luck the MRO makes the worst decision in history and TMac gets suspended and then when he comes back is either a better player or has a strong desire to not play in the forwardline.

"Off the ball, intentional, high contact, BROKEN COLLARBONE 10 WEEKS"

EDIT: I FORGOT IT WAS TOM STEWART FROM THE GEELONG CATS, 12 WEEKS

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Geez I know it's frustrating supporting this Club but there's some amazing levels of whinging on here. At least footy is back.

I think we saw closer to our best 22 on the weekend.

For mine, we can't carry all four of Hannan, Hunt, Fritsch & Melksham in the forward line. I still think Jetta & Jones are in our best 22 as well (know that'll be unpopular here).

For mine:

In: Jetta, Jones, Bennell
Out: Lockhart, Hannan, Unsure

Geez I know it's frustrating supporting this Club but there's some amazing levels of whinging on here. At least footy is back.

For mine, we can't carry all four of Hannan, Hunt, Fritsch & Melksham in the forward line. I still think Jetta & Jones are in our best 22 as well (know that'll be unpopular here).

For mine:

Jetta yes, Jones no.

For mine:

Hannan shouldn't be anywhere near an out. Melksham and Fritsch can GTFO well before he does.

Vanders should be an out too. Unsighted after the first 15 minutes and is either horribly unfit, out of form or both. Needs a lot of touch back.

Bennell in for him, Jetta for someone (Lockhart maybe?). Langdon has been ordinary but is arguably doing his 'role' floating on the wing so will probably stay. Brown (or Weid, if Simon's being generous) in the forward line pls. Hunt maybe makes way, or goes to Langdon's spot on the wing?

Hannan really wasn't that good, don't know why anyone thinks he is unndroppable. He's pretty much the same player as Fritsch and Melksham when he plays tall, and the former two have far more credits in the bank despite having s**t games. Even if you can carry another mid-size forward or two, its between VDB, Bennell and Hannan. No way all five can play.

Lockhart for Jetta is an obvious change that should never have needed to happen in the first place. Other than that, I hate the way our forward line functions. The delivery inside 50 was so much better this week but they kept on dropping marks. The only time we looked good at ground level was when Kozzy dropped that screamer and someone (Brayshaw I think) converted the crumb. We looked way better when one of TMac/Trac were deep and Kozzy was at their feet. We also did better when we had a tall target to kick to further up the ground. Given this season is just one big experiment for 2020 and a litmus test for our list - I'd line up as follows.

Jetta - May - Smith
Hibberd - Lever - Salem
Tomlinson - Viney - Langdon
Fritsch - Weideman - Melksham
Bedford - McDonald - Pickett
Gawn - Oliver - Petracca
Brayshaw - Harmes - vandenBerg - Rivers

Have Toby and Kozzy following Gawn's taps in the F50 like hawks, and get those kicks into tall forward targets like Weid and TMac with the instruction that they desperately need to focus on squaring contests rather than go for hail mary marks. Don't really care if we decide to go for Hannan or Bennell over VDB, but feel like we need his edge in a tough contest against an up-against it Richmond. We're almost having a better season than Richmond, believe it or not. They have looked so far off the boil it isn't funny.

Oddly comforted by Hibberd playing one good game after being shite for ages, I think we'd have lost by a lot more if he hadn't been so cool down back. If he keeps taking short and safe options by foot he's back to best 22.

On the other hand May and Salem need to stop taking safe options and start helping us to generate more creative offence from the back half. IDC if they turn it over through the centre of the ground but it's better than turning it over by kicking to outnumbered contests on the wing.

Back