Player Watch Rowan Marshall Hype Train 🚂🚂🚂

Remove this Banner Ad

So Saints fans, what's his contract status? Asking for a mate......
Arent u happy with the one u already got from the saints?

Man gotta admit hes a younger, better version of rory lobb. If he can impact the scoreboard abit more he'll be into elite status.

Had him in my supercoach last year thinking i had the edge on everyone as i thought at the time he was going to be something grand and then he went down.... sigh

Incredible his rapid rise from rugby to AFL to North Ballarat to the saints to now being considered one of the best footballers in the league in little to no time.

Had him in my supercoach last year thinking i had the edge on everyone as i thought at the time he was going to be something grand and then he went down.... sigh

Incredible his rapid rise from rugby to AFL to North Ballarat to the saints to now being considered one of the best footballers in the league in little to no time.
One of the best in the league is a bit of stretch. Definitely in the top 5 ruckman though.

They were absolutely jizzing over him on Monday night's On the Couch, I can't say I've seen enough of him, but will pay close attention because the hype is building.

What's his contract status? If he's that good you'd imagine clubs would be keen.
Extended his contract for 3 more years earlier in the season.

The poor bugger looked nervous on The Sunday Footy Show today, then dropped a little f-bomb. He started talking, seemed to lose his train of thought, then said something like, "ah sh1t, I fa'rked it...".
As you'd expect, the other guys made it easier for him

Last edited:
Great skills for a big man - hits targets going inside fwd 50 on the run pretty regularly, has genuine forward craft and can make an impact when resting / floating up forward.
Good tank, good athleticism, still a fair way off the topliners in terms of ruckwork, but was much improved against Gawn compared to their first meeting (might have been under the weather the first time, missed the following week).
Will always be a bit behind the top tap ruckmen given he’s giving away height, but has been great for the Saints this year.
Billings has also had a really strong year (being played in a role he was better suited to and some continuity helped as much as anything).

The poor bugger looked nervous on The Sunday Footy Show today, then dropped a little f-bomb. He started talking, seemed to lose his train of thought, then said something like, "ah s**t, I fa'rked it...".
As you'd expect, the other guys made it easier for him
Watched that, poor bloke was really nervous but seems like a ripper guy. Seems like the Saints have got a good one there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 hitouts to advantage for each of Marshall and Gawn on the weekend. Marshall lead in clearances. Gawn well on top in marks. Gawn probably pipped him but it was a pretty close match up. Pretty impressive performance against such a dominant ruckman.

10 hitouts to advantage for each of Marshall and Gawn on the weekend. Marshall lead in clearances. Gawn well on top in marks. Gawn probably pipped him but it was a pretty close match up. Pretty impressive performance against such a dominant ruckman.

yeah. Gawn had him in the tap work, but he really improved in that area during the game, they played slightly different roles around the ground, but I though was just as influential, and was just as good at following up the tap with clearances and contested work once the ball hit the ground.

as for why we want another ruckman, Sam Rowe is our only backup, delisted KD from Carlton Sam Rowe. Who ever comes is clearly coming as 2nd Fiddle

Goldstein isn't a bad shout if he's coming in as a defined second fiddle. Would have plenty to teach Marshall.

Only hiccough I see with that is why would he move from being first banana, to a cover ruck more likely to spend time in the VFL

Goldstein isn't a bad shout if he's coming in as a defined second fiddle. Would have plenty to teach Marshall.

Only hiccough I see with that is why would he move from being first banana, to a cover ruck more likely to spend time in the VFL

If he wanted to keep playing AFL then he wouldn't come, depends where North see him fitting into their team, where the new North coach wants to head. Not a bad way to earn a decent wage playing VFL and backup if his thinking went that way. If you never ask.....

For a bit of background on him, he was recruited from the VFL at about 20yo, after an impressive season playing mainly CHB for Nth Ballarat (having regular 20 disposal games), then in his first two seasons with us he played and trained mainly forward (because we had Hickey, Longer, Pierce and Holmes ahead of him in the ruck).

Played one senior game (in the forward/ruck role) in his first season with us, and looked at home, and I'd say almost certainly would have kept his place for the following week, had the forecast not been very wet- which saw us go unusually smaller up forward.

Saw him play live a couple of times in the JLT series last year and he did a few things that just really caught my eye, and had me thinking he really had something, and then in his first of 12 games for the season, he played no.1 ruck, and started like a house on fire (pushing forward and clunking marks, cracking in really hard, etc), before really dying out as the game wore on.

Then the next week (against Geelong, at Geelong) he played forward ruck, and again started really impressively, before concussion ended his game before half time.

That was the game where we stacked our midfield and left our few remaining forwards ridiculously outnumbered, yet he still managed 9 disposals, a couple of marks, 6 hitouts, and one of our 3 goals (and a behind), for the half.

Don't think he played anywhere for the next couple of weeks, after the concussion and then played the next 3 weeks for us again (mainly forward), but just wasn't the same as he had been pre-concussion, and really struggled.

Was then recalled two weeks later to play CHB- against WCE in Perth, and despite a return to form and 22 disposals, was dropped again, and didn't return for 6 weeks.

So he'd played 6 games for the year by that stage and was picked to play ruck in one, forward/ruck in 4, and CHB in another, inside his first 7 AFL games!

Was finally recalled in R17 and had a cracker of a game forward/ruck, clunking marks, relief rucking well and picked up one ball off his bootlaces at speed on the lead and in a flash snapped it (for a point), that someone a foot shorter than him would have been proud of.

Finished the game with 16 disposals, 8 marks (4 contested), 23 hitouts and 2 goals 2.

Played 5 of our last 6 games after that (all mainly forward/relief rucking) and in 4 of those 5 he averaged 16 disposals, 7.25 marks, 11 hitouts and 1.5 contested marks per game, and also kicked 3 goals.

So as far as I was concerned he was very comfortably best 22 by the end of the year (in that forward/ruck role) and I and others argued for a fair bit of the year that he should have been in the team ahead of McCartin, due to him generally having an overall greater impact up forward (including creating far better defensive pressure, and of course his relief rucking).

So given how much he's improved overall this year, it would have been interesting to see how well he would have gone had he continued to play mainly forward this year.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't have improved playing there as well.

This latest preseason is the first time since he got to the club that he's really trained in the ruck, so he's basically learning his ruck craft on the job now, so you'd expect there's a lot of rfi there.

He smashed Gawn in the last qtr.

Why the fu** do St Kilda want Goldstein?

I don't believe we do now.

I think Lethlean was testing the waters early in the season when it looked liked we had no ruckmen at all for 2020, or at least no decent ones.

Since then Marshall has basically come out of nowwhere in terms of the No 1 ruck role. Context is that he was recruited to be a key forward or back or maybe a forward/ruck who would give the No1 ruck a chop-out.

In his time at Sandringham he basically never played as No1 ruck and was never groomed to be one.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back