Player Watch Rowan Marshall Hype Train 🚂🚂🚂

Remove this Banner Ad

English wishes he was up there with Roma
Marshall is also 2 years older, I dare say between the age of 21-24 is when a Ruckman in the AFL is built, one is at the start of that scale while the other is towards the end. He's an absolute ripper, don't get me wrong, but not really a like for like comparison.

Marshall is also 2 years older, I dare say between the age of 21-24 is when a Ruckman in the AFL is built, one is at the start of that scale while the other is towards the end. He's an absolute ripper, don't get me wrong, but not really a like for like comparison.
So we can’t compare 2 young Ruckman because of 18 months difference in age? Marshall has still only played 28 games, English 24. English 1st round draft pick, Marshall a rookie.
Watching them both yesterday I’m very happy with who we have.

So we can’t compare 2 young Ruckman because of 18 months difference in age? Marshall has still only played 28 games, English 24. English 1st round draft pick, Marshall a rookie.
Watching them both yesterday I’m very happy with who we have.
No I don't think it's a fair comparison because, most young rucks don't develop fully until they're 23 or 24 which is what I was saying. Marshall is in that age group and English is still 2 pre-seasons away from that bracket. Just look at their weight differences, English has put on 6-7 kilos since coming to the club and probably still has another 5-6 to put on, Marshall is, again, in the ideal weight bracket that we'd want English in..

I'm not denying that Marshall is a better ruck right now and if we were playing for the now I'd want Marshall any day of the week, but it's an unfair comparison and while we've had an okay for season for our age demographic, we aren't playing for the now.

Anyways, choochoo on the hype train!

Last edited:

Didn’t think he was going to make it a couple of years ago, playing as the rotating ruckman resting at full forward and was clunking marks but missing goals you should kick. Happy t be proven wrong about him. Last 2-3 games end of last season Marshall and Lewis Pierce rucked well in tandem together but Alan Richardson couldn’t see that and still decided to favor longer and hickey when we had him. Longer has not done a thing in his career and Tom hickey had about one good game when he toweled up Matthew lobbe - ports greatest ever ruckman at the time according to their supporters. Hopefully some other players in the team take notes on how he plays, Seb Ross im looking at you!

He's been one of our few shining lights in what has been a pretty bleak year, been a big surprise too as he was pretty ordinary last year playing as a forward.

A big test for him against Gawn, he got well beaten by him last time we played them but he's improved since then so hopefully he can provide a better contest.

Always great to see a guy blast onto the scene and just kill it.
Wasn't he playing as a KPP/part time ruck previously ? and this is his first season as full time ruck ?

Marshall and OBrien are two great stories this year. So difficult to get rucks through to that level and very low % become seriously good.

Guy is absolotuely brilliant around the ground. His tapwork will only improve to go along with it.

Always great to see a guy blast onto the scene and just kill it.
Wasn't he playing as a KPP/part time ruck previously ? and this is his first season as full time ruck ?

Marshall and OBrien are two great stories this year. So difficult to get rucks through to that level and very low % become seriously good.

Guy is absolotuely brilliant around the ground. His tapwork will only improve to go along with it.

He was played mostly as a forward with a bit of time in the ruck but was underwhelming as a forward, looks a lot better when he can just roam around the ground in a pure ruck role as he has a big tank and pretty good skills for a big guy, he almost plays as another midfielder and can win the ball at ground level as well.

We're fortunate that he has come on so well as a ruckman as we lost Hickey to West Coast and Longer looks like being a bust.

Who? Did he play yesterday?

He was the guy that demolished your ruckman but he's not the first one to do that.

Not sure, Saints fans rated him (Longer) as better than Grundy not that long ago.

Maybe he's injured?

You must have got some nutters, or trolls, as no Saints fan I know would have rated Longer better than Grundy in recent times. Longer ok in the actual HO department but around the ground was pretty useless.

And yet the Saints are apparently trying to take Draper away from us. Greedy f***ers. Marshall is their #1 for the next decade. Beast of a player.

Our 2nd choice ruckman at present is Sam Rowe, formerly of Carlton's backline.

He was played mostly as a forward with a bit of time in the ruck but was underwhelming as a forward, looks a lot better when he can just roam around the ground in a pure ruck role as he has a big tank and pretty good skills for a big guy, he almost plays as another midfielder and can win the ball at ground level as well.

We're fortunate that he has come on so well as a ruckman as we lost Hickey to West Coast and Longer looks like being a bust.
It isn't "fortunate". He was asked to step up and do a job, and he's going way beyond that. No luck about it. Some blokes rise to the challenge.
He can spot up a fwd like a good rover, sees the entire ground, v good overhead, and for a big unit his skills are more like a 6 footer.

Just keep him out of the gym. More weight can only mean potential trouble and he'll get naturally stronger regardless.

I truly hope one of these rucks wins a Brownlow soon. Right now between Grundy Gawn and now this guy on the rise they are far and away the most dominant guys on the paddock, and win more games off their own backs than any rover going around.

Best part about him is that we didn't recruit him as a ruck, he played half forward/forward last year.

Only through sheer luck with injury did he get a shot in the ruck.

Talk about taking your opportunities.

Love him. Wish him a long succesful career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was the guy that demolished your ruckman but he's not the first one to do that.

English gets smashed every week. Our mids were off because he won a few taps early on.

Definitely has been a highlight for the Saints this year.

Up there with English as best young ruckmen in the league, thats for sure.

English is poor by comparison. Worst lead ruck in the league this year.

The lack of a physical ruckman is seriously handicapping the Dogs' midfield.

English is poor by comparison. Worst lead ruck in the league this year.

The lack of a physical ruckman is seriously handicapping the Dogs' midfield.

Whilst they got rolled in clearances, the lack of a tall target forward was their biggest issue yesterday, Schache & Naughton were both poor. The doggies should make a big play for Jonathon Patton. Goldstein and Patton would transform that team.

His versatility is incredible. Played a game as a key defender vs West Coast last year and did a solid job whilst picking up 22 touches. Then played mainly as a key forward against Carlton a few weeks later and kicked a couple of goals whilst providing a big presence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back