Senior Rowan Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Look who were listed one after another on Foxsports "VFL Players" to watch in the draft. Was right in front of our eye's all the time!!!

Ben Long (Footscray)

Position: Small forward

2016 VFL average numbers: Rated elite for average goals (1.9), as well as above average for assists (1.1) and score involvements (4.7).

THE cousin of Cyril Rioli and a 19-year-old that has one year on most other draftees, Long represented the NT Thunder (Division 1 national champs) and the Allies (Division 2 national champs) before linking up with Footscray late in the VFL season. But it was in Footscray’s preliminary final win over Collingwood where Long genuinely announced himself, booting a team-high six goals from just nine kicks. After playing a key role in the Bulldogs’ VFL grand final win over Casey, Long was then invited to the national AFL draft combine, finishing equal-third in the field kicking test. In other areas, Long recorded a 13.6 in the beep test, as well as times of 10.52 in the 3km time trial, 3.03 seconds in the 20m sprint and 25.90 seconds in the repeat sprint test. An agile forward with great goal sense at 185cm, Long could also provide an AFL club with excellent pressure inside forward 50.

Rowan Marshall (North Ballarat)

Position: Ruckman/Key defender

2016 VFL average numbers: Averaged 15.4 disposals — the second most of any ruckman in the VFL. He also averaged 11 hit-outs and five intercepts per match.

A 203cm big man from New Zealand with a rugby background, Marshall looms as one of the most versatile and unique VFL prospects ahead of November’s drafts. He missed out on selection in his draft year (2014), but has developed significantly in the VFL over the past two years. After starting the 2016 season as the Roosters’ No. 1 ruckman, Marshall moved into a utility-style role, playing predominantly down back and sneaking forward to kick the occasional goal. He was then invited to the Victorian state combine where he showed off his athleticism, finishing with 13.1 in the beep test and a time of 3.11 seconds in the 20m sprint. He’s competitive in the ruck and an interceptor down back — a unique combination but one that potentially appeals to AFL recruiters.

A 200cm plus "key defender" - jeez they are getting tall!!!

Just like this was suppose to happen the last two trade periods?

I look forward to reading all the posts about one of the ruckman being trade in 2017 trade period, only for them to remain on our list.
Reckon there's just about a 0% chance of Longer, Pierce and Holmes all being on our list in 12 months time. At least one of them will be gone, either by trade or delist.

To me we got him for forward-ruck depth. Nobody seems to notice but if Bruce gets injured we're pretty much stuffed. If Marshall can come in provide some ruck relief and not look completely out of his depth up forward that's a big win. Pretty smart drafting for mine.

To me we got him for forward-ruck depth. Nobody seems to notice but if Bruce gets injured we're pretty much stuffed. If Marshall can come in provide some ruck relief and not look completely out of his depth up forward that's a big win. Pretty smart drafting for mine.
I'm thinking defence... highlights package looks like he spent most of his time between defence and Ruck.

With only Coughlan and Goddard as developing key defenders, I think Marshall may go there. Where as forward we've got Bruce, Membrey, Paddy and Battle.

Kid will make it!! for a big guy looks a natural footballer with his kicking/marking and decision making in that video clip.

Give him a year or 2 to develop his strength and we could have a seriously good versatile player on our hands.

Longer needs to pull his finger out and actually mark/learn how to play forward or it's off to the trade table. Lewis Pierce needs to stack on some weight and get stronger in the contest. not sure why Holmes has been kept but I can't seem him being retained beyond this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kid will make it!! for a big guy looks a natural footballer with his kicking/marking and decision making in that video clip.

Give him a year or 2 to develop his strength and we could have a seriously good versatile player on our hands.

Longer needs to pull his finger out and actually mark/learn how to play forward or it's off to the trade table. Lewis Pierce needs to stack on some weight and get stronger in the contest. not sure why Holmes has been kept but I can't seem him being retained beyond this year.
Pierce looks like hes built into a proper frame this year. Still doubtful if thats gona translate to him playing good footy.
Holmes looks like he's becoming more athletic this off season so you never know what can happen there.
TBH Our list looks huge compared to some other lists now. Even a lot of our mids are huge... No doubt this was a recruiting agenda by us. Big bodied mids + Tall KPP depth.

In an article about 6 months ago I believe it was Bruce who said that Carlisle had pretty much been pencilled in as the one to do the back-up rucking, until he got suspended. Bruce is bloody terrible at it. Had just 27 hitouts for the year, despite doing the back-up rucking in 21 games. Less than 1 and a third hitouts per game! :eek:

Reckon Pierce will be looking over his shoulder in a pretty big way from today onwards.

I've been having the same issues on my PC ..... I reckon it's because the OS is XP ..
I can view the videos fine on my laptop with Windows 7 and also no problem on my phone and tablet.
Do you only see the top 3rd or so of the picture as well?

Last edited:
No ... I just get a complete grey screen ...no controls,no error messages,no nothing.. only greyness .. : (
Are you running an XP computer ?

Pierce looks like hes built into a proper frame this year. Still doubtful if thats gona translate to him playing good footy.
Holmes looks like he's becoming more athletic this off season so you never know what can happen there.
TBH Our list looks huge compared to some other lists now. Even a lot of our mids are huge... No doubt this was a recruiting agenda by us. Big bodied mids + Tall KPP depth.
Pierce was always long term and it seems as he is improving every year rapidly.

I just don't seem how Holmes can make it considering he doesn't get any ball around the ground and can't play forward.

Billy is the one that needs to learn the forward craft and actually impact contests around the ground by marking, but seems well behind Hickey this season.

I'm not the biggest fan of Bruce going into the ruck as he is pretty much useless and I think that's why his season wasn't as good due to the wear and test of rucking around the ground.

The forward ruck spot is definitely up for grabs though.

Beautiful kicking technique and soft hands for a 200cm Kiwi with a Rugby background. That alone tells us that he has a lot of scope for improvement, especially in an AFL system.

On a seperate note (as I don't see Marshall playing in the ruck) 2017 shapes as a very interesting year for Tom Hickey and Billy Longer... One of these two won't be at the club in 2018.

Well if anyone has the solution ...let me know ..i hate the thought of getting a new computer and the time it will take to get it how I like it.

You should upgrade your Windows at least, XP isn't supported by Microsoft any more so it's pretty dangerous, could get hacked easily. At least don't do banking on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back