Senior Rowan Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the craziest thing about the season this far is that you campaigners let the prospect slip to me in the advocate draft. Showed his worth. How good is seeing him attack the high ball you know he’ll either take it or bring it to ground.

What a difference he has made to our ruck division and our on ball group so far this year . We suddenly have a ruckman who can win hit outs , can take a mark , can get disposals around the ground and can go forward and kick a goal . He might develop into one of the best ruckmen in the game hopefully .

Don’t Panic !!

Rowan Marshall has been brought straight back in after being a late withdrawal against the Crows.
The Portland product has been one of the Saints’ most improved players in Season 2019 and will need to be at his best against an in-form Shane Mumford.

I read that he signed a two year extension in 2017, off the back of his rookie contract (commencing end of 2016). Is the rookie contract still 1 year? Because that would put him out of contract this year.
Regardless, should be looking to organise a longer term contract, surely.

The St Kilda faithful have spoken, and emerging star Rowan Marshall is this week’s Sainter of the Round.
Marshall’s impressive outing against the Giants was the latest in a string of strong performances that has elevated the young ruckman’s standing around the league.

The 23-year-old held his own against a far more experienced and bigger-bodied opponent in veteran Shane Mumford, winning 27 hit-outs and career-high numbers in both clearances (nine) and contested possessions (14).
But as we’ve come to expect from ‘The Prospect’, his influence didn’t stop in the middle.

Two goals straight, six score involvements and 512 metres gained only strengthened his case as the Saints’ most valuable ruckman, and perfectly showcased his impact around the ground.
After a summer-long tussle for the mantle of preferred ruck, Marshall was the unlucky omission from the side in Round 1.

07GWSSK19MK800930401.jpg

But the fan favourite came back with a vengeance in Round 2, playing a crucial role as the Saints saw off a last-quarter surge from the Bombers.
The following week saw the 201cm Portland product own the centre circle in the West, before playing a crucial role in wins over Hawthorn and Melbourne.

Marshall was sorely missed with an illness in Round 6, but his immediate return to career-best form against the Giants has him firmly in best-and-fairest calculations.

https://www.saintsmembership.com.au/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great signing. Would be curious to know the coin he got... pretty decent payrise I'd imagine, and well earned!

Marshall to stay a Saint
saints.com.au
Jun 11, 2019 8:03AM

IMG_0879.JPG

Exciting prospect Rowan Marshall is set to stay a Saint, signing a new three-year deal.
I really believe in what we’re building and I’m looking forward to being part of it.​
Rowan Marshall
Exciting prospect Rowan Marshall is set to stay a Saint, signing a new three-year deal.
The 23-year-old has emerged as one of the game’s most improved players in 2019, moving into the ruck and making the position his own at the Saints.
Of the 24 ruckmen who have played at least six games across the league this year, Marshall ranks second for contested possessions (10.7), second for kicks (9.3) and third for clearances (5.2) and centre clearances (2.0).
“We’re thrilled to have Rowan sign on for a further three years,” Saints List Manager James Gallagher said.
“His performances and the way he has embraced the challenge of his new role this year is reflective of the overall attitude with which he approaches his football.
“He’s a professional, determined and passionate young man, and we believe he has a really exciting future ahead of him here at the club.”
Having mixed it with some of the competition’s best this year, Marshall says his focus is on continuing to improve and give his all for the red, white and black.
“I’ve loved my time at the Saints so far and am stoked to have signed this new deal,” Marshall said.
“I feel like I’ve really learned a lot during my time, especially the past eight months or so, and I’m excited to keep growing and learning.
“I really believe in what we’re building and I’m looking forward to being part of it.”
Marshall joined the Saints with pick No. 10 in the 2017 Rookie Draft, before being elevated to the main group in 2018.
He debuted against Sydney in Rd 18 2017 and has since amassed 22 games for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back