Senior Rowan Marshall

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Around a year ago a stack of people on big footy were saying that Marshall was never going to be AFL quality.
Not sure why, he was looking great at VFL level, i guess he was a Rookie so they thought he could never be a quality player.

Happy to stick my hand up. As a forward I wasn't confident but I certainly did press for him to be first ruck. Not many were happy with that idea not that I was the inly one suggesting it. As people may have guessed I rate around the ground work a little more important than hitting the ball.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Happy to stick my hand up. As a forward I wasn't confident but I certainly did press for him to be first ruck. Not many were happy with that idea not that I was the inly one suggesting it. As people may have guessed I rate around the ground work a little more important than hitting the ball.
This post is so delectably you my friend! :laughing:
Happy to put his hand up for being wrong! :eek:

Whilst reminding the world He was the ONLY one to be right about Marshall in the ruck! lol

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
This post is so delectably you my friend! :laughing:
Happy to put his hand up for being wrong! :eek:

Whilst reminding the world He was the ONLY one to be right about Marshall in the ruck! lol
Pretty sure I said others mentioned it unfortunately. I think I was clearly first though. Said it before he left New Zealand.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I love the way longer hits the ball. His marking is Ablett like as well.
Kevin Ablett?

Saw highlights recently about one of the great games of footy way back in 84 between WA and Victoria
The WA commentary was spectacularly biased....Twas the day Gary Ablett snr kicked 8 from a wing/half forward
For the first 6 of his goals they kept calling him Geoff Ablett! lol
Who btw was busy kicking the dew off the ground in the two's for the Saints!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Kevin Ablett?

Saw highlights recently about one of the great games of footy way back in 84 between WA and Victoria
The WA commentary was spectacularly biased....Twas the day Gary Ablett snr kicked 8 from a wing/half forward
For the first 6 of his goals they kept calling him Geoff Ablett! lol
Who btw was busy kicking the dew off the ground in the two's for the Saints!
I didn’t see it but remember it quite well I think he had only played about 10 games. He was a freak. Similar to billy. If only they had state games now. Billy and max working in tandem

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great news.

Did not expect at the start of the year that he would be one of the most important players for us as our primary ruck.

Between that and shifting Battle from forward to back, maybe we need to completely shuffle our whole team around. Give them one preseason to learn a complete new role in the team and we’ll win the flag next year.

Was genuinely wanting Longer back in the side after Pierce in round one.

Hope Roma is near to 100 games by the time his next contract is due.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
In the off season I was expecting Marshall to be our 2019 CHF by this point. His development has been the biggest highlight of our season so far and I'm thrilled that he has been so good in the ruck. If he can improve his ruck craft a little at worst he projects to be on the level of Stefan Martin. If he can improve it a lot he could start to approach Dean Cox levels. He sure would make a great combination with McEvoy, Stanley or Hickey.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another pre season working on his tap work and I'll be very interested to see where he can get with it. He's tall enough and strong enough. I get the feeling that he'll develop quickly in that regard, as he has with most of his game.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Another pre season working on his tap work and I'll be very interested to see where he can get with it. He's tall enough and strong enough. I get the feeling that he'll develop quickly in that regard, as he has with most of his game.

He has already improved his tap out work this year not that I really care unless he become Gawn which I don't see as possible just because of height. Having more hit outs than Witts on Saturday is certainly something he couldnt have done early this year.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
He has already improved his tap out work this year not that I really care unless he become Gawn which I don't see as possible just because of height. Having more hit outs than Witts on Saturday is certainly something he couldnt have done early this year.
Agreed. He's clearly a very quick learner to be where he is at not really having played ruck ever before.

Back