Senior Rowan Marshall

Not sure what this says about the current state of our ruck department. It either means we're putting rucks up for trade bait next year, or we aren't happy with how one or two are coming on.

Or do we just have every other position covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not picked as a ruck. He's picked as a tall forward. He'll create a good combo with Battle at Sandy. They can develop there happily and quietly away, coming in to the seniors now and then when Bruce, Paddy or Stickers gets injured. Good depth.

This article from August says he's currently 201cm 97kg, and can play as a KPP at both ends as well as in the ruck.

http://theroosters.com.au/blog/2016/08/04/rowan-marshall-to-state-draft-combine/

grimlock have any vfl stats for this big boy?
Sounds a versatile player..

"has been named in the best 7 times so far this season (including 4 times as Best on Ground), averaging 16 disposals with efficiency of 75%, 5 marks and nearly 5 tackles per game. During this year he has played as a key defender, key forward and in the ruck."

Apr 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Victory, Storm
Not sure what this says about the current state of our ruck department. It either means we're putting rucks up for trade bait next year, or we aren't happy with how one or two are coming on.

Or do we just have every other position covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't say anything about our current rucks apart from the fact none of them can adequately play as a ruck/forward.

Don't read too much into rookie picks. They hardly make it. We probably see some raw talent, we think he has improvement and he was best available.

Everyone on here wanted scharenberg because his brother is on an AFL list, he had a good U18 carnival and the 'experts' had him in their phantom drafts.

I'll back the recruiters any day. All 18 clubs passed on sharenberg on multiple occasions. Simply has to be good reasons for it.

Pretty handy mix across our 4 new players. I'm wrapped.
2 athletic mids who can clearly play on the outside
1 forward with potential to go through the middle
1 ruck/fwd who is fairly athletic for his size

SK_MD_#7

Captain Dunstan
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if both Battle and Marshall play as the tall forward combo for the Zebras' Development League, at least at the beginning of the year. One very young, the other very raw, they are long term prospects. No hurry at all.

Rowan MARSHALL (North Ballarat)
2016 VFL
Totals

• 18 games
  • 8 goals
  • 12 behinds
  • 9 times in the best players list
Averages
  • 7.6 kicks
  • 7.7 handballs
  • 15.3 disposals
  • 5.6 marks
  • 4.4 tackles
  • 11.5 hitouts
  • 1.4 inside 50s
  • 1.1 rebound 50s
  • 1.1 frees for
  • 0.8 frees against
  • 86.28 DT points

kRqZskD.png

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Love your work Grim. Gee he certainly knows how to get his hands on the pill for someone that size! Also games of 11, 10 and 8 tackles, which Richo would find SP.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if both Battle and Marshall play as the tall forward combo for the Zebras' Development League, at least at the beginning of the year. One very young, the other very raw, they are long term prospects. No hurry at all.
Marshall just played every game in the seniors at VFL level this year tho!

Love your work Grim. Gee he certainly knows how to get his hands on the pill for someone that size!

Marshall just played every game in the seniors at VFL level this year tho!
Yeah, true. Look, I stand by my statement that he and Battle will make a very effective forward combo at Sandy for 2017. The person who should be nervous is that Fischer kid from the Zebras - his efficiency in front of the sticks was deplorable. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out.

What all this means for the ACTUAL rucks at Sandy - Longer, Pierce and Holmes - is anybody's guess though.

Sandy might be fielding one of the tallest teams of all time this year.
I think we panicked when we studied the GWS blueprint for success.

The Giants is just their nickname fellas ;)

SK_MD_#7

Captain Dunstan
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Honestly, I could see Billy not being on our list by next year's end...

... one way or another...
Just like this was suppose to happen the last two trade periods?

I look forward to reading all the posts about one of the ruckman being trade in 2017 trade period, only for them to remain on our list.

Back