Strategy Rowey admits the club wasn’t honest at the presser

Remove this Banner Ad

Meditation... magic pills... herbal remedies... relaxation techniques...

How about practising hitting a target from 25m? Many of our players can't.
+ the tackling/chasing/pressure... oh what I'd give for a dose of that, including last year.
We just don't want to do it much, hard to win a flag that way.

Well more specifically they can't in match conditions. Because their fitness base is shot.
Exactly.

The more tired you are, the better your mental capacity has to be to fight. We have neither. Spackler is making light of it, but at the top level mental toughness is actually crucial.

Easy.

Give them a pill and describe the effects as mirroring what you're testing to see if meditation accomplishes.

Get them to do some other mental exercise.

Get them to do some muscle relaxation exercises.

Get them to do literally anything you can plausibly convince them could do what you're testing for.

It's not hard, tbh I'm actually wondering if you even properly understand what a placebo is.

I don't see how you can account for the placebo effect with a pill when it's not a drug trial. Giving one arm a pill and the other an exercise isn't the same as it would be in a drug trial where both arms are receiving a pill and therefore placebo effects are the same. It just doesn't seem valid if the treatments don't resemble each other because perceptions of the treatment would be different in each arm.

Mental exercise and muscle relaxation techniques may have their own benefits so I can't see how you'd use them as a placebo. What you'd actually be doing is a study on which exercise provided the most benefit, not testing meditation against placebo.

To be a valid placebo study, you'd need to get subjects to think they're meditating when they're not, and at the same time make sure what the placebo group is doing has zero efficacy. How can you do that?

Last edited:

It's not a yes/no answer as to whether it's proven or not. This is a summary of the findings of a well respected centre (John Hopkins Uni) who reviewed the literature and would know a lot more about this than anyone here. Placebo controlled trials are not really applicable as they would be with a drug trial but comparison with control groups using standard treatments for a given condition (eg cognitive therapy, drugs etc) would be relatively straightforward.

After reviewing 18 753 citations, we included 47 trials with 3515 participants. Mindfulness meditation programs had moderate evidence of improved anxiety (effect size, 0.38 [95% CI, 0.12-0.64] at 8 weeks and 0.22 [0.02-0.43] at 3-6 months), depression (0.30 [0.00-0.59] at 8 weeks and 0.23 [0.05-0.42] at 3-6 months), and pain (0.33 [0.03- 0.62]) and low evidence of improved stress/distress and mental health–related quality of life. We found low evidence of no effect or insufficient evidence of any effect of meditation programs on positive mood, attention, substance use, eating habits, sleep, and weight. We found no evidence that meditation programs were better than any active treatment (ie, drugs, exercise, and other behavioral therapies).
JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(3):357-368. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13018

Despite the thousands of articles, they only found 47 that they considered well designed, with modest improvement in anxiety, depression and pain but not better than controls using standard treatments for these conditions.

I never suggested the effects were more than moderate. I was arguing that there is scientific evidence meditation has an effect and it's not all fairies and rainbows like was being suggested. If we want to get down to what specifically it has an effect on, then I suppose we could, but I never claimed it was a panacea.

Meditation... magic pills... herbal remedies... relaxation techniques...

How about practising hitting a target from 25m? Many of our players can't.
Difficult when you have a dodgy hammy!

I never suggested the effects were more than moderate. I was arguing that there is scientific evidence meditation has an effect and it's not all fairies and rainbows like was being suggested. If we want to get down to what specifically it has an effect on, then I suppose we could, but I never claimed it was a panacea.
I suspect it helps some people and not others, like many things in life. How long lasting it is in those it helps is anyone's guess though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Rowey.

Bit of a **** sometimes, but he’s passionate and seems like a genuine guy.
He's not as big of a **** when off air. Generally a pretty measured kinda guy.

Rowey and Bicks questioned why have a presser when you don’t intend on providing any details.

I’m sure there were quite a few posters from here that called in trying to shut down the discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back