Roy Morgan 2022 Survey

Remove this Banner Ad

hmmm yet teams like West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton have close to or over 100,000 payed up members.

I wonder what their definition of "supporter" is .
RM: Which AFL team do you support?

Person from NSW: What's AFL?

RM: You know, football?

Person from NSW: Oh, yeah, I go for the Roosters.

RM: No, AFL.

Person from NSW: The Sydney Roo...

RM: Sydney? Say no more.

Seems reliable….

The survey seems consistent but I wonder what their definition of "supporter" is .
IMO a supporter, is a person that (actively) supports a team.
A supporter would be from top down be a member, attendee, a subscription or watcher.
IMO these "supporters" seem more like followers.
A follower from top down would be occasional attendee, TV watcher, media watcher.

It all depends on the question asked.
"Do you support the death penalty ?" translates to "are you for or against the death penalty"
"Do you support the Boomers, Wallabies, Opals, Socceroos etc ?" translates to "Do you like Australian national teams winning ?".
For 1 million people to say "I support the Sydney Swans" the question would have to be along the lines of
"What AFL team would you like to see win?"

RM: Which AFL team do you support?

Person from NSW:

The Sydney Swans.
What's AFL?

I was there from day one when South Melbourne played in the VFL.

I go for the Roosters.

Because I lived in the Eastern Suburbs but also supported East Sydney AFC an original member of NSWFL in 1903
Back then there was not insignificant amount of crossover support with the Roosters flag wavers attending Bulldogs games
as the Roosters have the same colours as the Bulldogs as did most original NSWRL clubs copy their NSFL equivalents.

The survey seems consistent but I wonder what their definition of "supporter" is .
IMO a supporter, is a person that (actively) supports a team.
A supporter would be from top down be a member, attendee, a subscription or watcher.
IMO these "supporters" seem more like followers.
A follower from top down would be occasional attendee, TV watcher, media watcher.

It all depends on the question asked.
"Do you support the death penalty ?" translates to "are you for or against the death penalty"
"Do you support the Boomers, Wallabies, Opals, Socceroos etc ?" translates to "Do you like Australian national teams winning ?".
For 1 million people to say "I support the Sydney Swans" the question would have to be along the lines of
"What AFL team would you like to see win?"
Also with a base of 65k it depends on how many people were asked to respond that live in Sydney compared to Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and even what part of town and then how those numbers were then extrapolated. Fair to say I don't hold much confidence in these figures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back