Roy Morgan Research Poll 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you completely misread my post (yes i saw that thread) its about Richmond attendance which shouldve been on tiger board but the point i made and you dismiss it that when gopies starts a thread his sole purpose 99.9% of the time is directed at Richmond or when he goes on his constant tiger rants on already started threads thats what i meant.
You have to have an unhealthy obsession with a team when 99% of his posts are we are bigger than Richmond, they are this big heck he names the clubs in the order and so on and so on.

Seriously gopies posts are page after page of ranting about Richmond typically a series of posts with the same dribble like this.

upload_2018-8-22_12-51-56.png

I kinda feel sorry for the guy but on the other side I can't help poking him lol. You can guarantee he will try and derail any thread about club support or memberships etc.

2nd, Broncos first. Storm most supported club in Victoria

WOW! No wonder Western Sydney is such a depressing place, half of them support Parramatta, the biggest basket case of a football club in the country.

One of the funnier, more bizarre things about our game is how fervent people get about club supporter numbers, attendances and memberships. Collingwood and Richmond fans usually dominate this space with their bickering and this thread is no different.

Its such a weird thing to have a pissing contest over.

I cant believe what ive been reading the moment i read from gopies 'i win you lose' and 'goodbye i win' i thought i can no longer be involved with his lucid imagination..
How this thread is allowed to stay on the main board is bewildering to say the least, It should be tossed into the bay.

I've always held the belief if someone continually talks about you or tries to say they are better means they fear you or feel inferior and trying their damn hardest to sell it to themselves that they are better or bigger etc Its amazing that the many records that gopies1981 raves on about were made in the last 30 years coincidentally our darkest years.

No other pies supporter wastes their time on these type threads, gopies1981/frank Gallagher no doubt same person will hijack or create any thread regarding Richmond why do that? cause the inferior complex is strong for those 2 (Oops i mean 1).

I seriously believe he is not good for bigfooty his obsession with anything Richmond is quite sad, you have to ask yourself what he actually offers to this forum easily answered NOTHING of substance.

Richmond are the worst supporters on bugfooty! Mentioning Richmond at every opportunity even if a thread does not relate to them. Richmond fans claiming they are going to break the all time attendance record. They are not even in the top 5 of all time. All held by the Collingwood football club. Claiming they are the most popular club in the country. Which again they are not. Richmond claiming they have 100,000 members yet cannot draw crowds that are even similar to there membership figure. With 100,000 they should Atleast be averaging 80,000 plus to the mcg and breaking Atleast 1.4 million fans during the home and away season. But they can only draw 1.19 million more then 115,000 then the all they me record. I stat facts unlike options from Richmond flogs

I think you completely misread my post (yes i saw that thread) its about Richmond attendance which shouldve been on tiger board but the point i made and you dismiss it that when gopies starts a thread his sole purpose 99.9% of the time is directed at Richmond or when he goes on his constant tiger rants on already started threads thats what i meant.
You have to have an unhealthy obsession with a team when 99% of his posts are we are bigger than Richmond, they are this big heck he names the clubs in the order and so on and so on.
Take your blinkers off.

Richmond are the worst supporters on bugfooty! Mentioning Richmond at every opportunity even if a thread does not relate to them. Richmond fans claiming they are going to break the all time attendance record. They are not even in the top 5 of all time. All held by the Collingwood football club. Claiming they are the most popular club in the country. Which again they are not. Richmond claiming they have 100,000 members yet cannot draw crowds that are even similar to there membership figure. With 100,000 they should Atleast be averaging 80,000 plus to the mcg and breaking Atleast 1.4 million fans during the home and away season. But they can only draw 1.19 million more then 115,000 then the all they me record. I stat facts unlike options from Richmond flogs

Wot? :drunk:. Get off the slurps little buddy.

Tigers are so much bigger than the pies its not funny. Averaging 61K to home games this year. Top 4 pies averaging 49K. That's cute :)

Wot? :drunk:. Get off the slurps little buddy.

Tigers are so much bigger than the pies its not funny. Averaging 61K to home games this year. Top 4 pies averaging 49K. That's cute :)

Collingwood top 5 attendance’s of all time!!! Richmond are not the biggest. Collingwood have over 100,000 followers on social media. More popular on fan surveys. Even your ceo Brandon gale said Collingwood are the biggest club! I’m 2010 Collingwood averaged 63,000 and drew over 1.3 million which is 115,0000 more then Richmond. Richmond are minnow compared to the pies. Wait till we win our next flag we will break 1.3 million again something Richmond could never do and have over 100,000 Members

Collingwood top 5 attendance’s of all time!!! Richmond are not the biggest. Collingwood have over 100,000 followers on social media. More popular on fan surveys. Even your ceo Brandon gale said Collingwood are the biggest club! I’m 2010 Collingwood averaged 63,000 and drew over 1.3 million which is 115,0000 more then Richmond. Richmond are minnow compared to the pies. Wait till we win our next flag we will break 1.3 million again something Richmond could never do and have over 100,000 Members

Is there a chance you're a tad unhappy about Richmond being the biggest club in the land now?

One of the funnier, more bizarre things about our game is how fervent people get about club supporter numbers, attendances and memberships. Collingwood and Richmond fans usually dominate this space with their bickering and this thread is no different.

Its such a weird thing to have a pissing contest over.
Gopy can’t help himself , I’m sorry for his misfortune that Richmond’s return to power has rocked his world. My only advice is deal with it , the times are a changin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That figure is pretty amazing considering we were tipped to finish bottom 4, and the 3 on top of us were expected to play deep in to September.

Pound for pound, we are the staunchest. Always have been, always will be.

View attachment 546399
Members aren't all equal...so many clubs count 3 game members as full members

Port's 3 x 3 game members attend less games than 1x12 game member

Has anyone ever responded to a Roy Morgan afl research poll , Ive been a member for 36y , never have , nor do I know anyone that has. They doorstop 100 people walking out of the supermarket transpose those numbers over the entire population . Only an imbecile would use these numbers that are in deference to tangible KPI
Membership
Attendance
Tv ratings
However if it makes you happy and special, pin them up on the wall , power to ya

Ratings are impacted by so many things......form, timeslots, dates, for example do Public holidays help?

The fact is differing metrics measure differing things at differing times in differing circumstances.

There are about 6 to 7 clubs which in the right circumstances can post huge numbers in differing metrics.

EG and only as an example. Revenue. Collingwood have more 2017 revenue than Richmond......but if we strip out pokies which most people regard as somewhat tawdry, Richmond have more revenue.

Another. Collingwood have more Facebook likes than Essendon but then Essendon have more twitter followers than Collingwood.

WCE have more members than Carlton but Carlton post several better social media numbers.

There is an endless list of such apparently unpredictable comparisons. I could cite dozens more.

Give the Big 4, WCE and Adelaide a good run of form and all are capable of posting records. Example watch Carlton explode if they went top 4 next year. Hawks may be included in that list as well.
Absolutely. Just like any of the metrics discussed in this thread, Tv ratings aren’t perfect either. They’re useful to look at in combination with attendance, membership, social media reach, as well as broader/more generalised studies like the one from the OP.

I think the best picture you can paint is by referencing and combining all the aforementioned metrics (as well as others I may have missed), but even then there are a whole host of variables which means you can never be completely accurate.

I’m more interested in the discussion about correctly measuring ‘support’ than the dick measuring contest this thread has devolved into. Not that you were trying to do that, just a general comment.

Is there a chance you're a tad unhappy about Richmond being the biggest club in the land now?

Try drawing 1.3 million during the home and away season then come talk to me!!! Wait till Collingwood’s first finals game at the g!! The Collingwood fans will fill the mcg all by its sell! I know scary right?

Absolutely. Just like any of the metrics discussed in this thread, Tv ratings aren’t perfect either. They’re useful to look at in combination with attendance, membership, social media reach, as well as broader/more generalised studies like the one from the OP.

I think the best picture you can paint is by referencing and combining all the aforementioned metrics (as well as others I may have missed), but even then there are a whole host of variables which means you can never be completely accurate.

I’m more interested in the discussion about correctly measuring ‘support’ than the dick measuring contest this thread has devolved into. Not that you were trying to do that, just a general comment.

A sensible discussion would distinguish soft support perhaps measured by social media numbers or Morgan from hard support measured by memberships and attendance.

It would contrast reach and depth

EG we could say that Weagles and Tigers have deeper harder support than others but perhaps not the soft numbers or reach of a handful of others.

A sensible discussion would distinguish soft support perhaps measured by social media numbers or Morgan from hard support measured by memberships and attendance.

It would contrast reach and depth

EG we could say that Weagles and Tigers have deeper harder support than others but perhaps not the soft numbers or reach of a handful of others.
It would be a worthy thing to attempt, but it becomes difficult once you get bogged down in semantics and trying to create definitions.

I’m a decent case study for this. I’d qualify as a ‘soft’ supporter under your definition as I haven’t been to a game this year and am not a member. But I’ve followed te Pies closely my whole life, come from a long lineage of Collingwood supporters, my first memory is from Vic Park, I spend hours every day trawling through BigFooty for new information etc. I just live overseas at the moment so can’t attend matches, and as a result haven’t bought a membership. But I’m a more passionate and rusted on footy fan than a lot of my friends, who might get to he occasional game and might have a 3 game membership, but won’t even know many of the players names, good young prospects, VFL results etc etc

Simple metrics like attendance figures, and the research poll in the OP, don’t and can’t take into account such psychographic profiles, thus using them to determine ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ supporter levels ( innately psychographic qualities) is a fairly fraught proposition.

Also problematic is using attendance figures only really gives you an idea of a teams support in and around Melbourne, and doesn’t provide an overall snapshot of a teams true supporter base. So categorising fans as ‘soft’ (or less invested) just because they don’t live in Melbourne is an inherent issue.

I definitely like the line of thinking, and pretty much any methodology is going to have its issues to be fair.

Swans is highly dubious. How many of that 1.1m are actually "fans".
Members are more important as they sends money to the club.

So I'd say this study misleads regarding the Swans. 60k members is nothing to sneeze at and they should be prouder of their achievements than these figures suggest.
'Fans' implies they watch tv- much of the AFL funding is from the tv dealies. They may still buy merch as well. Plenty of people in Sydney in swans merch- easily number 1 ahead of any particular NRL club, in my anecdotal experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back