The Law Royal Commission into Child Abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

1 in 10 children in residential care homes in NSW are sexually abused.
Dennis Kelly, a man with a lengthy criminal history of assaults was hired as a carer by the government funded residential care home "Wundarra" and raped a 13 year old girl using a government provided condom. Asked to comment, the centre manager was quoted as saying "having condoms in the residence is preventative and I think a good thing".

Whilst I don't give any weight, at all, to the Broken Rites webpage, I am aware of the general numbers of offences and offenders within the Catholic Church. I'm not sure there has been any particular year where the victims numbered 1200.
You may or may not give weight to the site but they have named each individual. In the current world of litigation, I feel confident that they would not have named them if not true.

1 in 10 children in residential care homes in NSW are sexually abused.
Dennis Kelly, a man with a lengthy criminal history of assaults was hired as a carer by the government funded residential care home "Wundarra" and raped a 13 year old girl using a government provided condom. Asked to comment, the centre manager was quoted as saying "having condoms in the residence is preventative and I think a good thing".
Again, not sure what you are saying? Wasn't that in the article?

Well that is just so wrong! No it is NOT satisfactory. Is this to protect them from fellow residents or from their carers or both?
How do you know of all this, do you work in the area?

I don't believe that the RC has finished with that area but surely someone should bring it to their attention. Absolutely agree that they should not only be questioned by held accountable.

I have written to my local Senate member twice now and not received a response apart from a thank you email.
The RC released a final report in August 2015 into the requirements for the Working with Children Checks. Each state has different requirements (posted the details on another page in this thread) and no action has been taken on it. I think it is a disgrace as one person who has failed this test in one state can work in another.

There is so much that is wrong but I think that this RC is working hard to get to the bottom of it but it seems our politicians are not acting on it.

Only 25% of abuse if from fellow residents. That drops the annual number (from an adult criminality perspective) to 900.

That information was all in the article he linked. Did you not read it?

You may or may not give weight to the site but they have named each individual. In the current world of litigation, I feel confident that they would not have named them if not true.

I don't give weight to a website that describes Pell's current role as "fiddling the Vatican books." This may not be word for word as the link is broken now but it was words to that effect.

1. Pell is cleaning up worldwide corruption in the Vatican's finances which I understand involves even the mafia.

2. How is that role even worthy of derisory comment from a group supposedly interested only in obtaining justice for victims of sexual abuse?

Only 25% of abuse if from fellow residents. That drops the annual number (from an adult criminality perspective) to 900.
That information was all in the article he linked. Did you not read it?

Thought he may have had more knowledge than the article.

I don't give weight to a website that describes Pell's current role as "fiddling the Vatican books." This may not be word for word as the link is broken now but it was words to that effect.

1. Pell is cleaning up worldwide corruption in the Vatican's finances which I understand involves even the mafia.

2. How is that role even worthy of derisory comment from a group supposedly interested only in obtaining justice for victims of sexual abuse?
Please, let's just stick to the one point, your comment:
"that the level of abuse in Govt run institutions dwarfs that of the Catholic ones".

Suppose all you like. He was neither a director nor lower/middle management.

He was certainly a member of the advisory council, probably for his input on educational matters. He'd had 2 years experience as a priest prior to 1974.
So, he wasn't a director, and only had 2 years experience...
And a junior nobody 1974...

Even though he was "ordained a Catholic priest for the Diocese of Ballarat by Cardinal Agagianian in St Peter’s Basilica, Rome, on December 16th 1966"

And he WAS the "Director of the Aquinas Campus of the Institute of Catholic Education from 1974 to 1984"

And also an "Episcopal Vicar for Education in the Diocese of Ballarat (1973-84)"
And "a founding member of the Catholic Education Commission of Victoria (1973-84)"

So all of that... but he was just a junior nobody... who happened to be an advisor as well...

I mean, he was only in his 30's... basically a child!

And all of that bullshit aside, you picked 1974, because you thought you could frame him as this lost innocent guy, who had no way of knowing what was going on.

Ignoring his actions for the next 40 years...

*******... ridiculous...

The reason political parties were raised was because Keneally was the "go to Catholic" for Sky News for commentary on George Pell. She has written articles, made days worth of comments, etc etc. I don't think it's unreasonable, therefore, to have her own standards explored.
I don't watch Fox and would never rely on it's News for anything.

So, he wasn't a director, and only had 2 years experience...
And a junior nobody 1974...

Even though he was "ordained a Catholic priest for the Diocese of Ballarat by Cardinal Agagianian in St Peter’s Basilica, Rome, on December 16th 1966"

And he WAS the "Director of the Aquinas Campus of the Institute of Catholic Education from 1974 to 1984"

And also an "Episcopal Vicar for Education in the Diocese of Ballarat (1973-84)"
And "a founding member of the Catholic Education Commission of Victoria (1973-84)"

So all of that... but he was just a junior nobody... who happened to be an advisor as well...

I mean, he was only in his 30's... basically a child!

And all of that bullshit aside, you picked 1974, because you thought you could frame him as this lost innocent guy, who had no way of knowing what was going on.

Ignoring his actions for the next 40 years...

*******... ridiculous...

As you point out, he held a number of roles in his time in Ballarat. None of them pastoral. Yet you and others expect that he had his ear to the ground with all the gossip pertaining to the various parishes in Western Victoria.

He was ordained in 1966, but didn't commence as an assistant parish priest until 1971. He moved from Swan Hill to Ballarat and took up all those academic roles in 1973.

1974 is the first time Pell is alleged to have been directly told about the abuse of Brother Dowlan.

I thought you people were following this stuff.

And I think it's you that's been ignoring Pell's actions. And ignoring those of others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As you point out, he held a number of roles in his time in Ballarat. None of them pastoral. Yet you and others expect that he had his ear to the ground with all the gossip pertaining to the various parishes in Western Victoria.

He was ordained in 1966, but didn't commence as an assistant parish priest until 1971. He moved from Swan Hill to Ballarat and took up all those academic roles in 1973.

1974 is the first time Pell is alleged to have been directly told about the abuse of Brother Dowlan.

I thought you people were following this stuff.

And I think it's you that's been ignoring Pell's actions. And ignoring those of others.
Don't claim anything of me.
I've just been disputing your bullshit.

You've asked questions of me. I've answered them.

You've been silent of those I've asked of you.
When do you think you will stop filling this thread with all things Pell, there are currently other things happening in the Royal Commission which incidentally is the name of this thread.

You can of course start your own thread about Pell if you want to discuss him.

More rhetoricals than anything.
Again, just calling you out on your bullshit.

You'll be blaming the victims next... you've covered everyone else...

Blaming victims........what a disgusting misrepresentation of everything I've said.

Ok, get Pell then. Good on you. The scalp of a high profile but decent Catholic will make you and everyone like you comfortable that "something has been done" about child sexual abuse. Never mind the actual perpetrators and their protectors.

And stuff any other victims. They clearly don't count.

When do you think you will stop filling this thread with all things Pell, there are currently other things happening in the Royal Commission which incidentally is the name of this thread.

You can of course start your own thread about Pell if you want to discuss him.

I came into this thread to counter the prevailing view. You and a number of others have since spent pages telling me, and a couple of others, why we're wrong. I am defending a person, not an institution.

What I don't get about you is this.........

You say you've listened to or watched the whole Royal Commission. You of all people should know the focus on Pell is disproportionate.

I came into this thread to counter the prevailing view. You and a number of others have since spent pages telling me, and a couple of others, why we're wrong. I am defending a person, not an institution.

What I don't get about you is this.........

You say you've listened to or watched the whole Royal Commission. You of all people should know the focus on Pell is disproportionate.
I am not going to discuss your fixation with you but suggest you read Father Walshe's evidence carefully.

Last edited:
I am not going to discuss your fixation with you but suggest your read Father Walshe's evidence carefully.

I have. The actual transcript along with the exhibits. I have to admit though, I only scanned "Broken Rites" version of it. Once I counted to 5 misrepresentations of the evidence I stopped cross referencing.

And for what it's worth, I also intend discussing Father Walshe's evidence personally with him. It's of personal relevance.

I have. The actual transcript along with the exhibits. I have to admit though, I only scanned "Broken Rites" version of it. Once I counted to 5 misrepresentations of the evidence I stopped cross referencing.

And for what it's worth, I also intend discussing Father Walshe's evidence personally with him. It's of personal relevance.
For your sake, I hope you get the truth but sadly I doubt it.

As I think I have mentioned there is nothing like seeing the evidence unfold via the streaming, transcripts, exhibits, media etc do not reveal all.

She doesn't want to discuss matters of children in state care because it gives weight to a suggestion I made last week that the level of abuse in Govt run institutions dwarfs that of the Catholic ones.

Such revelations ruin the narrative.

I was also attacked when mentioning the level of child abuse in Aboriginal communities.

Goes against the determination that it was all George Pell's fault.

I was also attacked when mentioning the level of child abuse in Aboriginal communities.

Goes against the determination that it was all George Pell's fault.
Have you even been to the RC site, watched any of the hearings, know what cases they are looking into?
I very much doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back