Current Royal Commission into gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
North Melbourne
IBAC to investigate how cops screwed up the Silk/Miller investigation as they know Roberts will be cleared.

Never got convictions for Walsh Street as their informer based strategy blew up on them.

petedavo

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Enter the Wigs ... four top silks including Dunn.

'compromised cases' 'bloody appalling' 'it's a mess' 'conspiracy to pervert justice' 'horrifying' 'mind-blowing'

View attachment 594592 View attachment 594593 View attachment 594594
Conspiracy to Pervert Justice is a strong condemnation.

Pervert course of Justice is covered by S320 of the Crimes Act - 25 years imprisonment
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ca195882/s320.html
The QC would be referring to the deliberate use of informer 3838 and the presenting of evidence from her in prosecutions before the Courts.

Conspiracy is covered in S321 of the Crimes Act
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ca195882/s321.html
I'd assume that the QC is referring directly at the decision made by a group of Police constituting a board for the purposes of registering informants as satisfying the elements of the conspiracy accusation.
The QC might also be referring to the evidence above being used by Prosecutor if the assertion is that the Prosecutor knowingly presented that evidence and thus conspired with the Police to pervert justice.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

petedavo

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Just feel the cops acted on advice and there may be more than what we know now.
If they acted upon Advice then that might constitute conspiracy, especially if that advice discussed registering 3838, her role as an informer with the persons she was informing upon as their legal representative, or using the information to be gathered in such circumstances as evidence before a Court.

Imagine claiming that advice is legal privilege! ROTFLMAO

Last edited:
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is a very serious situation, it is actually unprecedented as it would be if the sky fell. The facts are emerging now yet you seem to be insisting on denial.
I just refuse to get caught up in the media’s spin ands will wait for facts which are few.
It may turn out to be serious but at this stage that is just speculation.

petedavo

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Makes one wonder if they registered any priests as informers? I wonder if they'd wire up confessional booths? Doctor's surgeries?

petedavo

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Some posters here seem to be focusing upon the people who were convicted.
That's not who the focus is actually on.
That is peripheral to the whole shebang in reality.
The royal commission was called because the actions by Police in registering informant 3838 and subsequent events from that were criticised by the High Court.
The focus is upon the actions of Police, and the subsequent conduct of prosecutions, which might of tainted the very fundamental principles of jurisprudence.
As one QC said in a media statement, it amounts to conspiracy to pervert (Justice).

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
She may face consequences too, her law firm may also face serious litigation.
Barristers are sole traders, they’re not permitted to be in corporation or partnership, and are not permitted to be employed or employ staff.

In relation to her own liability, she’d have professional indemnity insurance, but would you still be covered if you deliberately breach ethics.

Last edited:

BFew

Inn Spectre
AFL Club
West Coast
Makes one wonder if they registered any priests as informers?
Registering priests and priests on Registers.

By George! You could be onto something here.

The higher courts could be innundated with apPellants wanting fairer justice.

Might even result in a 2nd round of suppression of the facts.

Risky and long game waiting for the facts in Victoria. The State of suppression.

We are not amused.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

petedavo

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Anthony Dowsley is doing a really good job reporting on this imo. I don't generally read the Herald Sun but have been grabbing a copy the last few days for his articles.
Too bad it's paywalled and I can't obtain a paper here in Perth. It's not worth paying for six months online access just to read a less than a dozen editions IMO.

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #391
Too bad it's paywalled and I can't obtain a paper here in Perth. It's not worth paying for six months online access just to read a less than a dozen editions IMO.

Why I've been making some effort to post pics of the more important pieces here. Not everybody can access them.

sprockets

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
High Court ruled mid November to tell the convicted their cases may have been tainted. Simon Overland asked council to double his termination payment after that on 23rd November to $200,000.

HS today.
Amazing isn't it. And they have the hide to believe we should be fined for driving 3kph over the speed limit.

petedavo

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Says it all really. imo. Even now, when Victoria is reeling Overland can't help himself and give even the appearance of a modicum of ethics.
$2.3K would hardly cover the legal fees of hiring a barrister for the Royal Commission.

If he could find one who would take the job on.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
$2.3K would hardly cover the legal fees of hiring a barrister for the Royal Commission.

If he could find one who would take the job on.

Barristers work on a cab rank basis, he wouldn’t have a problem. The issue might be that the big ones are involved already and might have a conflict. But there’s plenty of barristers around that need the work, it’s very competitive, it’s only the big names we hear about.

Opine

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Carlton
The public will expect Police, Prosecutors & Judges associated with any of this to be stood down until the Royal Commission clears them TBH. I don't think that they can damage control any of it. This will kill many careers, and reputations even if the Royal Commission white washed all of it.

What on earth are you talking about?: what have Judges got to do with any of this?

While we are it, i suggest you revisit Separation of Powers doctrine, from one of your earlier posts, a little deeper. Consider that Vicpol is an agency of executive branch of a State, rather than Cth, Government. Then consider the source and distinction of Separation of Powers on a State level.

petedavo

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
Barristers work on a cab rank basis, he wouldn’t have a problem. The issue might be that the big ones are involved already and might have a conflict. But there’s plenty of barristers around that need the work, it’s very competitive, it’s only the big names we hear about.
It was a joke. ie, look at what happened when he gave a job to the last barrister. ROTFLMAO

petedavo

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
What on earth are you talking about?: what have Judges got to do with any of this?

While we are it, i suggest you revisit Separation of Powers doctrine, from one of your earlier posts, a little deeper. Consider that Vicpol is an agency of executive branch of a State, rather than Cth, Government. Then consider the source and distinction of Separation of Powers on a State level.
1. Maybe nothing, unless they knew that the evidence being presented before their Court was tainted, but I'd expect that the Royal Commission will be putting that exact question to each one of them.

2. Making findings under regulatory powers is different to manipulating the outcome in Criminal proceedings before a Court of Law?

Top Bottom