Current Royal Commission into gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

skipper kelly

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
Not a problem,
Traglia also have information about Paul Kallipolitis’ murder which also resulted in Orman being charged as the getaway driver for Veniamin but that was dropped right after Orman was sent to jail actually.

I believe the Pierce trial/result was under suppression until the Kallipolitis matter was dealt with.
You are right, it can only be Traglia. Here is the sentencing report of Orman http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/vic/VSC/2009/538.html and here is the Court of Appeal report http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/vic/VSCA/2010/246.html?context=1;query=orman;mask_path=#fnB67

(Log in to remove this ad.)

skipper kelly

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
Not sure if this has been linked before but well worth a read again. Pretty much nails it from the start.

More appropriately, it might be called royal commission into the corruption of the criminal justice system. The terms of reference already have to be tweaked because Victoria police has discovered that Informer 3838, aka Lawyer X, aka EF was informing from 1995, 10 years earlier than first suspected.

Royal commissioner Malcolm Hyde fell on his sword because of a perceived conflict of interest, having been a senior Victorian police officer during this earlier period. The commission soldiers on with the former president of the Queensland court of appeal, Margaret McMurdo, at the helm.

It is now apparent that this perversion of justice runs deeper, wider and longer than was first imagined. Other lawyers are said to be involved in dishing-up their clients to the police, and not just in Victoria. How far it has spread is for now a matter of conjecture. Are any judges in on the racket? Perish the thought.

This will continue to unravel painfully, damaging the so-called independence of the legal profession, and betraying a criminal justice system supposedly designed to give every advantage to the citizen against the state. The Victorian Bar has been quick to quarantine the fallout, saying there is nothing to suggest other barristers are involved and that what has been uncovered so far is “wholly aberrant”.

At its heart this is a story about secrets, and the struggle in the courts over the past four years to keep the lid on them.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
This is tip of the iceberg stuff.

You have to ask yourself how many more corruption matters remained uncovered due to them not having the spotlight of the High Court placed upon them?

The system is fundamentally flawed, and the Victoria Police have FAR TOO MUCH independent power.

skipper kelly

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
This is tip of the iceberg stuff.

You have to ask yourself how many more corruption matters remained uncovered due to them not having the spotlight of the High Court placed upon them?

The system is fundamentally flawed, and the Victoria Police have FAR TOO MUCH independent power.
Agree mostly. I always believed that the oversight of the VP in major cases was covered by the DPP and above. It seems all parties are running scared but only some might be held accountable. No-one can tell me that these others (who are not bound to give evidence to the RC) did not know what was going on. Only have to look at the quick release of Orman and the judgement to get an idea of what is not being told. It will be interesting to see how quickly he gets a settlement. Very quickly is my guess.

Comrie, Kellam and Champion would know all but we, the public, will likely never know the full extent.

Too big a rabbit hole to explore for the amateur sleuth, and almost impossible for a RC to expose everything.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
Just curious Snake. Do you believe that these others did not know about Gobbo and her ilk?
They didn't know at the time obviously, but it became apparent to some when the staged performances finished.

I know that Gobbo & Vicpol's corrupt relationship has been commonly acknowledged in the "underworld" for at least 8-9 years.

Crimewavex

Debutant
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I went through and read these last night and the telephone intercepts were really interesting.
It certainly seems like Orman was the getaway driver but without Traglia it isn’t anywhere near strong enough to convict.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

skipper kelly

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
I went through and read these last night and the telephone intercepts were really interesting.
It certainly seems like Orman was the getaway driver but without Traglia it isn’t anywhere near strong enough to convict.
Yeah, I read them over the last few days. Very informative in totally. Liked the telephone intercepts and the court of appeal reasons for dismissing each ground.

One of the SDU officers gave evidence yesterday with the first part being public before it went to a closed hearing. He criticised the HC comment about 'reprehensible conduct' but then admitted he hadn't read the full judgments or seen the Comrie and Kellam reports. He had only seen a 2 page summary given to him by his lawyer. I don't get why he wouldn't have read them all including the redacted versions of the reports. Why would a lawyer not prepare their client better than that? It seemed weird to me.

shellyg

Spec Moderator
Dec 27, 2016
No Surrender
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Four days into his new found freedom Faruk Orman has heard a policeman connected to Melbourne's 'Lawyer X' scandal deny the force's actions were "reprehensible".

Mr White (
of the source development unit) admitted he hadn't read the 11-page High Court judgment but passionately disputed the findings. :drunk:

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
He criticised the HC comment about 'reprehensible conduct'.......
........but then admitted he hadn't read the full judgments or seen the Comrie and Kellam reports. He had only seen a 2 page summary given to him by his lawyer. I don't get why he wouldn't have read them all including the redacted versions of the reports. Why would a lawyer not prepare their client better than that? It seemed weird to me.
C grade propagandizing.

Deflection 101.

The only skill where VicPol truly excel.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
Four days into his new found freedom Faruk Orman has heard a policeman connected to Melbourne's 'Lawyer X' scandal deny the force's actions were "reprehensible".

Mr White (
of the source development unit) admitted he hadn't read the 11-page High Court judgment but passionately disputed the findings. :drunk:

VicPol source development unit = star chamber

skipper kelly

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
Snap skipper. I didn't see your post before I hit 'send' on mine.
Cheers shellyg. It was starting to get interesting then the old "This part of the hearing is closed to the public" came onto the screen. Has been the same since.

He was just starting to talk about a lost diary that the Comrie inquiriy might have when it went silent.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
He was just starting to talk about a lost diary that the Comrie inquiriy might have when it went silent.
They always seem to "lose" stuff when they are under intense scrutiny.

It just goes to highlight the lack of independent oversight of police power.

It wasn't just possible that what we are seeing would occur, it was inevitable.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
I get that but seriously I could do a better job from the comforts of my mothers basement.
Don't make the assumption that many of these people have any level of competence.

When you spend 150 years of doing what you like without little external oversight, you would tend to get lazy and take things for granted.

shellyg

Spec Moderator
Dec 27, 2016
No Surrender
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cheers shellyg. It was starting to get interesting then the old "This part of the hearing is closed to the public" came onto the screen. Has been the same since.

I checked in yesterday, they were at the part of shuffling pseudonyms again where IUD22 becomes R2D2 etc etc and McMurdo looked about at the end of her tether.

skipper kelly

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
They always seem to "lose" stuff when they are under intense scrutiny.

It just goes to highlight the lack of independent oversight of police power.

It wasn't just possible that what we are seeing would occur, it was inevitable.
I am agreeing with you snake but I am trying to look at it all objectively. My view is this RC does not have the resources or the powers to come up with anything other than BS recommendations. To do the job properly they basically have re assess the Comirie Report, Kellam Report and Champion Report as a start. That would take years. Nothing will happen other than a few 'escape goats'.

Top Bottom