Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

What do you mean?

They cleaned him out anyway.

They generally will allow the women to keep the family home, or move a certain amount of property into kids names or new company that's hard for the general public to work out what's really gone on if they plead guilty. Did they threaten the women with charges and jail? That's bad juju.

I don't know whether they cleaned him out or not but I'm pretty sure the Crime Commission don't think they did. They were still looking for it all for some time after they got him back from Greece.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Did they threaten the women with charges and jail?

Yes.

This is a lot more intricate than a John Silvester article.

I don't know whether they cleaned him out or not but I'm pretty sure the Crime Commission don't think they did. They were still looking for it all for some time after they got him back from Greece.

The Crime Commission are in the business of looking for crime.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Also, a burglar. She broke into an associate's chambers and was rifling through documents.

Parts of the reports were today read out to a former senior officer from the Source Development Unit who is giving evidence under the pseudonym Sandy White.

Under questioning from Counsel Assisting the Commission Chris Winneke QC, Mr White said he had no memory of reading the report about the office break-in.

Tony tried to broker a deal to end the gangland war in 2004. :laughing:

He told the inquiry Mokbel called for the meeting and the offer was the three would do "short stints" in jail to end the drug war playing out across Melbourne.

"He wanted to get back to the status quo. We could all go back to doing what we do, 'You can be corrupt and we'll keep running the drug trade in Melbourne'," Mr O'Brien said.

Mr O'Brien said from that day he understood Mokbel was a main player in the drug trade and decided to go after him.
(Or was it rather the suggestion that the police were being corrupt, had nfi but that Tones could fix it)

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Tony tried to broker a deal to end the gangland war in 2004. :laughing:

He told the inquiry Mokbel called for the meeting and the offer was the three would do "short stints" in jail to end the drug war playing out across Melbourne.

"He wanted to get back to the status quo. We could all go back to doing what we do, 'You can be corrupt and we'll keep running the drug trade in Melbourne'," Mr O'Brien said.

Mr O'Brien said from that day he understood Mokbel was a main player in the drug trade and decided to go after him.
(Or was it rather the suggestion that the police were being corrupt, had nfi but that Tones could fix it)

"He told the inquiry Mokbel called for the meeting and the offer was the three would do "short stints" in jail to end the drug war playing out across Melbourne. "

*Drug war. In other words he'd offer up 3 people in exchange for him going on with his dirty business. How noble.

"He told the inquiry Mokbel called for the meeting and the offer was the three would do "short stints" in jail to end the drug war playing out across Melbourne. "

*Drug war. In other words he'd offer up 3 people in exchange for him going on with his dirty business. How noble.

He probably didn't say 'drug war' at all and also, do they have it on tape? 😆

This transcript of when Mokbel tried to broker a deal to stop the gangland war has to be read to be believed. More interesting than the main points in the article is actually imo, the last paragraph. Here sprockets they do have it on tape.

But when it comes to Mokbel's deal that he wants to take to the then Director of Public Prosecutions, Paul Coghlan, the police aren't impressed.

Robertson: "I don't think anything like this has been attempted."
Mokbel: "Yeah."
Robertson: "Not a multiple-case deal."
Mokbel: "But what, this will stop. I'll tell ya if it's going to stop a royal commission, this will stop it."
Robertson: "Oh my god it could even start one."

Last edited:

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
This transcript of when Mokbel tried to broker a deal to stop the gangland war has to be read to be believed. More interesting than the main points in the article is actually imo, the last paragraph. Here sprockets they do have it on tape.

But when it comes to Mokbel's deal that he wants to take to the then Director of Public Prosecutions, Paul Coghlan, the police aren't impressed.

It's in here https://www.rcmpi.vic.gov.au/MediaL...13-April-2004,-tendered-10-September-2019.pdf

I haven't read it yet but I will, for context.

Paywalled out of this one but I'll just leave this here.

auskick.png

Seriously? Can this get any smuttier or more repulsive?

Melbourne lawyer Nicola Gobbo deployed all sorts of tactics to hide her betrayal from her clients, but police have denied they encouraged her to have a sexual relationship with a drug cook.

Police handlers for the lawyer-turned-informer knew the man was romantically interested in Ms Gobbo, who was defending him on drugs charges while also setting him up over his clandestine drug labs.

A handler known as Peter Smith admitted while she was never encouraged to have a sexual relationship with the man, it was left to her and never explicitly discouraged.

“(Sources are) the ones in the position to know how to develop that relationship so the information’s forthcoming,” he told a royal commission into police use of informers on Thursday.

“She was told not to do anything relationship-wise that she wouldn’t normally do.”

Ms Gobbo, also known to police as informer 3838, referred multiple times to her relationship with the cook when speaking to handlers, according to the records of their conversations.

“3838 has considered (the cook’s) recent lack of contact, and a possibility for this is that 3838 has ‘utensil teased’ him one too many times,” a handler wrote in January 2006.

Mr Smith described Ms Gobbo’s use of the phrase as “quite distasteful”.

Ms Gobbo’s lawyer Peter Collinson QC suggested it was in the interest of police for the cook to have romantic feelings towards Ms Gobbo and that it was “pretty obvious” he would be more inclined to tell her about his plans to cook drugs.

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Melbourne lawyer Nicola Gobbo deployed all sorts of tactics to hide her betrayal from her clients, but police have denied they encouraged her to have a sexual relationship with a drug cook.

Police handlers for the lawyer-turned-informer knew the man was romantically interested in Ms Gobbo, who was defending him on drugs charges while also setting him up over his clandestine drug labs.

A handler known as Peter Smith admitted while she was never encouraged to have a sexual relationship with the man, it was left to her and never explicitly discouraged.

“(Sources are) the ones in the position to know how to develop that relationship so the information’s forthcoming,” he told a royal commission into police use of informers on Thursday.

“She was told not to do anything relationship-wise that she wouldn’t normally do.”

Ms Gobbo, also known to police as informer 3838, referred multiple times to her relationship with the cook when speaking to handlers, according to the records of their conversations.

“3838 has considered (the cook’s) recent lack of contact, and a possibility for this is that 3838 has ‘utensil teased’ him one too many times,” a handler wrote in January 2006.

Ms Gobbo’s lawyer Peter Collinson QC suggested it was in the interest of police for the cook to have romantic feelings towards Ms Gobbo and that it was “pretty obvious” he would be more inclined to tell her about his plans to cook drugs.

Wouldn't normally do... hmmm.

BTW, I don't think my 'I haven't slept with Nicola Gobbo' tee shirts are going to be big sellers.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Better add pimping to the list of potential criminal charges that the Royal Commission could find against VicPol

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Wouldn't normally do... hmmm.

BTW, I don't think my 'I haven't slept with Nicola Gobbo' tee shirts are going to be big sellers.
Were you the guy outside the MCG in 2017 trying to flog off Adelaide Premiers tshirts for $5

We laughed at him

The Lawyer X royal commission has heard accusations a senior police officer deliberately misled a court to cover up the use of Nicola Gobbo as a human source. And he has said he thought he was telling the truth at the time.

I think he's been caught out.

Back