Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

p8680526_b_v8_ap.jpg

http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvbanners/8680526/p8680526_b_v8_ap.jpg

Before there was cambridge analytica, there were news clippers. People have long manipulated others into false beliefs to obtain a benefit, whether to win a war, an election, or thwart a public inquiry into their nefarious activities. To spin the lie into a false truth, popularised in such shows as yes minister, requires a certain level of espionage into public feeling and reaction, to be successful into manipulating negative views into positive views. Nowadays spying upon public forums, such as this one would give faster insight upon where the brush fires of public thought is going, and thus enable the ability to strategise fast responses to thwart the potential of losing public confidence, such as an example might be to nobble an inquiry that may expose the very things that the developing public sentiment is indicating would cause them to lose confidence in those people.
I once worked for a GTE during the WA Inc days. Every day, before the email age, internal memos were the means of broadcasting instructions etc which everyone had to sign and pass on. Each morning one of these memos was from a news clipping company. Every and any mention in every newspaper, whether an article or a letter to the editor, or a transcript of a talkback show about the GTE was in that memo. Every single mention. It was fascinating to see within days, the state government would announce something that seemed uncannily related directly to any negative public sentiment in those clippings. The news clipping company was sucked up by Media Monitors at some point. It's all part of Insentia nowadays. You might remember that old news clipping service in the news itself once as they worked for Gina Rinehart, and the article was about her kids stouch over inheritance and some other matters. Here is a brief background> From https://www.isentia.com/australia/about-isentia
"We work as an extension of our clients organisation and create value by informing their decision-making with data, and shaping their conversations with insights that uncover new directions, help set strategies and plan actions"
Background: Insentia founded in 1982 by Sydney advertising pioneer Neville Jeffress used to be known as Media Monitors founded in 1977 by Ian Parry-Okeden (Writer: Australian Families of Crime, a 2UE late-night radio host)
Media Monitors once had a s.87B undertaking with the ACCC over their acquisition of a company called News Research and Monitoring Perth Media by NJRL Holdings T/As Media Monitors WA which in turn was sold to Media Monitors, and the acquisition of Quick Clips Pty Ltd which was a media monitoring company in Qld.
Richard Croll was the CEO of Insentia when Isentia acquired King Content in 2015, and also acquired social media agency Two Social in 2013 founded by Rich Spencer, and before that acquired social media analysis firm Buzz Numbers in 2012 started in 2007 by Nick Holmes à Court.

"We collect data" = they spy on us.
They're here. Say Hello :wave:
Some people keep their ethics in a jar upon the mantle piece gathering dust, and when someone notices it might of died, suddenly the jar is brought down and dusted off and shined up, to be displayed as shiny and incorruptible. But they don't dare open the jar to prove it's still breathing.
Tell your masters that they can't polish this turd.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Media Monitoring is nothing new , its just shifted.

Twitter and Facebook are the 2 main drivers of public opinion. The AFL monitor BF and even use it to float ideas around football. The reaction to some floated ideas on here is a good indicator of that

Though the important point you raise is how to manipulate the manipulators. As this is a largely Victorian issue and most of us ''outside'' are looking on with some interest it doesnt affect us directly. The question then becomes ' how far are governments and those asked to protect us willing to go?''

Is it the rule of law or is it more about breaking that rule of law to catch 'bad guys'

Last edited:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Davidson_(footballer)

Pete was a Claremont WAFL and Eagles legend

Not sure this is our PDs strongest connection to footy though.

Not even sure our PD is even a Claremont supporter.
I only had a maternal great grandfather, Joe, who made his living making footballs and a great grand uncle, Charles, who kicked them, until he was KIA during WW1.
Otherwise not the connection that you ponder. Unrelated. My maternal grandfather did have a cousin, Cyril, that wrote for the Melbourne papers once, even appeared as a witness in a Royal Commission once in regards to someone named Jack Wren back in the 40's. Cyril's dad was the one who died in WW1.
Another of my maternal grandfather's cousins married a naval officer, Jim, during WW2 who went on after leaving the navy as a Commodore to do some work for the Queen as a governor of an Australian state in the 1970's & 80's, but that's about it I'm afraid. Nothing of influence here on BF TBH. Maybe BF did think I've kicked a football? I certainly couldn't mark one ;)
My dad was a war orphan, so we're not related to any other Davo's in Australia, other than my siblings, and step siblings, none of which have become famous footballers.
Anyways, I've been kicked off forums before and had time bans. Par for the course.

Last edited:
Seriously ....

Former police chief Mr Overland had regular meetings with Lawyer X when was head of the Purana Taskforce and later when he was Deputy Commissioner.

He is accused of ignoring concerns from both handlers and senior colleagues though he denies that he knew she was informing on her clients.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/v...c7d622f0e0b77df349a6a235fb5&memtype=anonymous
We've seen that in here a few times in recent days. He'll tell us the truth only when forced to, but in the meantime he'll treat us with contempt.

"Perhaps some lawyers who have turned puce with rage over police using 3838 as a secret source should remember that if the royal commission is given broad terms, it will quickly discover there are practicing solicitors and barristers working in Melbourne who clearly skipped law school Ethics 101."

A pond full of eels: the world of the police informer - Naked City by John Silvester 15/12/18 https://www.theage.com.au/national/...d-of-the-police-informer-20181212-p50lqu.html via theage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Perhaps some lawyers who have turned puce with rage over police using 3838 as a secret source should remember that if the royal commission is given broad terms, it will quickly discover there are practicing solicitors and barristers working in Melbourne who clearly skipped law school Ethics 101."

A pond full of eels: the world of the police informer - Naked City by John Silvester 15/12/18 https://www.theage.com.au/national/...d-of-the-police-informer-20181212-p50lqu.html via theage

Makes you wonder what 3838 life will be like moving forward.

Her demise might mean less light is shone on the episode . But who would want this most?? At the moment the crims might feel her squealing at the RC may be of more benefit to them which also makes you wonder if an accident does happen to 3838 could the good guys be responsible?
If she has not taken witness protection it gives new meaning to thr word vulnerable.
An honest police force would be using resources to ensure she gets to the RC.

Makes you wonder what 3838 life will be like moving forward.

Her demise might mean less light is shone on the episode . But who would want this most?? At the moment the crims might feel her squealing at the RC may be of more benefit to them which also makes you wonder if an accident does happen to 3838 could the good guys be responsible?
If she has not taken witness protection it gives new meaning to thr word vulnerable.
An honest police force would be using resources to ensure she gets to the RC.
You raise a very interesting question. Inasmuch, it leads me to ponder, who protects witnesses into an such an inquiry?
Such was Trevor Haken for the Wood Royal Commission.
Is she a witness, a complainant, or the subject?

It reminds me of a few movies I once saw on TV, such as Witness by Peter Weir, and 16 Blocks by Richard Donner

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ecause-of-reprisal-fears-20150201-133223.html

The Herald Sun is not letting up upon the heat it would seem.

Why the Lawyer X scandal matters
Rita Panahi, Herald Sun
December 17, 2018 12:07pm
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/...s/news-story/29bf7fc60e0b6d5c9e09df7ca69550c7

extracts»

"malfeasance of powerful individuals who decided that the ends justified the means."

"Victoria isn’t some backward banana republic or totalitarian regime where the accused have no rights; every person charged with a crime has the fundamental right to a thorough and robust defence.

It’s bad enough for a lawyer, who has a sworn duty to act in a client’s best interests, not to provide the very best defence possible but to actively work against their client in cahoots with the police is a betrayal that is mind-blowing."

The Herald Sun is not letting up upon the heat it would seem.

Why the Lawyer X scandal matters
Rita Panahi, Herald Sun
December 17, 2018 12:07pm
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/...s/news-story/29bf7fc60e0b6d5c9e09df7ca69550c7

extracts»

"malfeasance of powerful individuals who decided that the ends justified the means."

"Victoria isn’t some backward banana republic or totalitarian regime where the accused have no rights; every person charged with a crime has the fundamental right to a thorough and robust defence.

It’s bad enough for a lawyer, who has a sworn duty to act in a client’s best interests, not to provide the very best defence possible but to actively work against their client in cahoots with the police is a betrayal that is mind-blowing."

The sun will sensationalise this for everything it is worth. Rita is not known for her balanced reporting but appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Strangely enough 4 corners talked about Lawyer X / registered informer 3838 by calling her an "gangland figure" in an episode on witness protection.

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/true-detectives/6065280

Extract»

"But recently there's been another major development. Victoria's anti-corruption body has launched an inquiry into the Force's alleged mismanagement of a third gangland figure who was helping police on the Hodson case.

Tonight, Ron Iddles tells Four Corners he refused an order from Simon Overland to take a statement from this figure, because doing so could have exposed them to underworld reprisals - or even death.

RON IDDLES: I had a conversation with that witness and said, "If I take this statement, these are the likely implications." So I didn't take the statement.

So sometimes I think the priorities are wrong. Yes, we all want to have a successful outcome in relation to court cases, but I don't think we do it at the expense of a witness', ah, life."

NATIONAL AFFAIRS

Don’t mention the law

JEREMY GANS

10 DECEMBER 2018

If judges don’t have a clear idea of how police should behave, where does that leave everyone else?

https://insidestory.org.au/dont-mention-the-law/

"more detailed lower-court judgements in the case keep appearing and disappearing from internet repositories without explanation."

NATIONAL AFFAIRS

Don’t mention the law

JEREMY GANS

10 DECEMBER 2018

If judges don’t have a clear idea of how police should behave, where does that leave everyone else?

https://insidestory.org.au/dont-mention-the-law/

"more detailed lower-court judgements in the case keep appearing and disappearing from internet repositories without explanation."

Excellent article. As I asked a few days ago, how does a judge allow tainted evidence into court? He shouldn't.

Excellent article. As I asked a few days ago, how does a judge allow tainted evidence into court? He shouldn't.
If the judge knew? or the ODPP prosecutors knew?
Has MSM published a list of the Judges and ODPP prosecutors involved in these trials? Presumably they all could be subject to being examined by the Royal Commission to ascertain how far a possible conspiracy went, if we're taking the allegations from the High Court and the opinions of some QCs quoted in the MSM at face value.
The disappearance of MSM articles statement is intriguing. I noticed it too, but some of those articles from the cases associated with Mokbel, like the Bart Rizzo one back ten years ago didn't mention Lawyer X at all, but the prosecutor was, in an article that appears in Google results - where the link returns that the article is no longer on Press Reader. Yet other articles names other ODPP prosecutors still remain, even ones naming the Judges and the various other defence barristers. I can only wonder if there's more than one person subject to suppression orders. I suppose we'll never know. MSM hasn't mentioned anything along those lines, so it's really perplexing.

Has MSM published a list of the Judges and ODPP prosecutors involved in these trials? Presumably they all could be subject to being examined by the Royal Commission to ascertain how far a possible conspiracy went, if we're taking the allegations from the High Court and the opinions of some QCs quoted in the MSM at face value.
The disappearance of MSM articles statement is intriguing. I noticed it too, but some of those articles from the cases associated with Mokbel, like the Bart Rizzo one back ten years ago didn't mention Lawyer X at all, but the prosecutor was, in an article that appears in Google results - where the link returns that the article is no longer on Press Reader. Yet other articles names other ODPP prosecutors still remain, even ones naming the Judges and the various other defence barristers. I can only wonder if there's more than one person subject to suppression orders. I suppose we'll never know. MSM hasn't mentioned anything along those lines, so it's really perplexing.

Does not 132s restrict the Royal Commission from inquiry into the ODPP?

I think there's more to the story yet, guess we'll find out in February just how wide this Royal Commission will go and whose careers might be on the rocks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back