Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...the-biggest-game-in-town-20190211-p50x37.html

The Sly headline says
They can get you when you least expect it. Just ask Tony Mokbel

Now some witnesses will be too frightened to testify. After all they can get you when you least expect it. Just ask Tony Mokbel. That is if he wakes up.

He’s not the only one to think of this too frightened to testify effect of today’s events. Maybe the only one to publish it, in main steam media, knowing that it will act as a warning to potential testifiers.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...the-biggest-game-in-town-20190211-p50x37.html

The Sly headline says

He’s not the only one to think of this too frightened to testify effect of today’s events. Maybe the only one to publish it, in main steam media, knowing that it will act as a warning to potential testifiers.
Some here dont seem to understand the laws of prison.

The difference then was that inmates wanted to be on Mokbel’s side. He was the boss of a syndicate that had a lifetime turnover of $400 million. He was powerful, rich and generous and could employ his favoured inmates on their release.
Now he is just another middle-aged inmate, and worse, one with a reputation. Attack Tony Mokbel and your position in the pecking order of a violent prison is on the rise.

One thing that can be said for Tony Mokbel (may have been a survival strategy), is that he has never tried to do a deal at anybody else's expense, he's never given anybody up. Just hasn't done it when nearly everyone else has.

That doesn't mean he won't ever talk and tell specifically of how he got to where he did, who he was paying for various favours and to look the other way because I'm pretty sure everybody here knows he had help. I imagine there's quite a few people feeling relieved Tones might not make it but I hope he lives to tell his story.
Another thing Tony never did was have regard to for the people and families whose lives were destroyed with his drugs to feed his opulent lifestyle .

Crooked police and/or former police planted the Hun story to provide a pretext for Mokbel to be attacked in prison, for which the perps will be rewarded, as Matthew Johnson was after offing Carl in similar circumstances.

It's all about containing the damage from the Royal Commission.

That's the conspiracy theory surely.

That's pretty hum drum Slarti, I'm sure anybody who's even a passing interest in crime knows the laws of prison well.

Some of us were educated on “Prisoner” way way back many centuries ago and went crime cold turkey thereafter until one alleged CSK was arrested.
Thx for the education all.

Edit: alleged csk

Crooked police and/or former police planted the Hun story to provide a pretext for Mokbel to be attacked in prison, for which the perps will be rewarded, as Matthew Johnson was after offing Carl in similar circumstances.

It's all about containing the damage from the Royal Commission.

That's the conspiracy theory surely.

To be sure that's it DCT and I'm told word from within the prison that's reached the streets, is pretty much that. (take it or leave it I can't tell you who sent me the message) Whether there's any truth in it who's to know.

Only until recently, had anybody told us that there were six lawyers acting for their clients while at the same time registered police informants they would have probably been banished to the conspiracy board.

What did Johnson get rewarded with?

An extra 10 years service from His Ocker Majesty?

A new bicycle and a set of dumbbells but it's on record somewhere Lawyer X acquired a gym set for one of them in there. I wonder if that was Johnson.

I am Herne but if someone can show me something to contradict its no skin off my nose. This is my understanding though and I think it's good.

Maybe send any contradictions to the Herald Sun instead. Then we can read about about them on the front page and argue/debate about them in here (again).

2fb3915a47b5767cc106af3856d635b9.jpg

That’s an interesting choice of headline by the Hun.

Akin to Sky News after dark targeting politicians as their main audience?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am Herne but if someone can show me something to contradict its no skin off my nose. This is my understanding though and I think it's good.
He dealt at the expense of thousands of people , that is how he made his money at other peoples expense. He made a life by ruining others lives.
This man has no character.

He dealt at the expense of thousands of people , that is how he made his money at other peoples expense. He made a life by ruining others lives.
This man has no character.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment Mokbel was an example of exellent character, a tireless community do-gooder or a shining beacon of integrity. Merely, that he has a lot of secrets he hasn't spoken of yet and there's many no doubt who would prefer he didn't.

I'll preface this by saying that - to my shame - I've never served time at Her Majesty's pleasure. But assuming the attack is related to the SHS front page, a few things seem reasonable to me:
  • When the maximum you can receive in a month (not saying the victim was receiving this amount) is $140 and you can probably only earn about $5-10 per week working in prison (of which you can only access 80%, a minimum of 20% is held in savings) then $50 is probably like $50 in the 1960s - a significant sum.
  • Jails are full of people with limited intelligence/education, a propensity for violence and an understanding that strength and intimidation is what rules in that environment.
  • That if the group that was supposedly standing over one young prisoner was doing it to him, they were quite likely doing it to others as well.
  • That someone intervening and stopping this racket and then being hailed as king of the prison on the front page of the newspaper would cause them to lose a significant amount of respect, ability to intimidate others and continue to enjoy this revenue stream, unless there was a significant retaliation.
  • That with the police corruption probe going on, someone needs to get to the bottom of what exactly happened here.

The Sly headline says

............knowing that it will act as a warning to potential testifiers.

The senior editor of the police media liaison unit has spoken.

It just goes to show how entrenched police corruption is in this state, when it's accepted fact that exposing them is dangerous for your health.

A senior defence lawyer told me that the underworld fell completely silent when Carl Williams was assassinated, so this appears to be immaculate timing yet again.

Some here dont seem to understand the laws of prison.

The closest you have been to prison is when you last played monopoly.

Last edited:
I'll preface this by saying that - to my shame - I've never served time at Her Majesty's pleasure. But assuming the attack is related to the SHS front page, a few things seem reasonable to me:
  • When the maximum you can receive in a month (not saying the victim was receiving this amount) is $140 and you can probably only earn about $5-10 per week working in prison (of which you can only access 80%, a minimum of 20% is held in savings) then $50 is probably like $50 in the 1960s - a significant sum.

$140 canteen spend plus $50 extra telephone call allowance per month, on top of prison wages and allowances.

A prisoner on a good wicket can make up to ~$60 a week in prison wages.

$140 canteen spend plus $50 extra telephone call allowance per month, on top of prison wages and allowances.

A prisoner on a good wicket can make up to ~$60 a week in prison wages.

So that's the absolute maximum? What would they be doing to earn $60 per week and how many would earn that (Herne Hill Hammer)? Would it be normal for a 19 year old prisoner to be "on a good wicket" or are the good wickets reserved for the prisoners with a bit more senority?

Even assuming that this prisoner was in the top earning Barwon bracket (and I doubt these gentlemen did a ledger with him before arriving at $50 as a reasonable amount) $50 is still a lot of money, before factoring the psychology of the situation that the prisoner was controlled by them until Tony decides he's not.

So that's the absolute maximum?

Officially, it's about it. Special requests from set aside funds can be acquired for things like medical items, runners, text books etc.

What would they be doing to earn $60 per week and how many would earn that?

Maintenance, billet work, mentoring, factory work, kitchen work, laundry work etc. All jobs that add up to saving the taxpayer and G4S a lot of money.

Would it be normal for a 19 year old prisoner to be "on a good wicket" or are the good wickets reserved for the prisoners with a bit more senority?

Your typical 19 year old isn't doing a long sentence, so they generally wouldn't get the choicest jobs which usually take time to get.

Last edited:
The reason I mentioned it and why I asked the question about when Lawyer X stopped representing him is because while I was there at the same time as him, he seemed to be getting favourable treament, not from prison staff but from head office I'd assumed at the behest of the police and DPP. Pretty much the same treatment as Carl was getting.

If Mokbel didn't like something he was told or if he was refused soemthing, he'd be straight on the phone to his lawyer and within a very short period of time the Governor would be getting a call and we'd have to give him what he wanted..
And this is why I cant buy the conspiracy that the police asked a favour and he got moved . The 1st thing he would have done is got straight onto the phone

Now whether he has that same reach or not I dont know

But that is my read on the situation and why I do believe its an internal thing and not external

Remove this Banner Ad

Back