Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly right, he is a little bit of a mystery though,
What were your thoughts when meeting him?

His appearance is kind of ordinary, he could be invisible in a room full of people and just not get noticed. Not flashy but once he was wearing a suit that bagged slightly so he might have lost weight he probably couldn't afford to lose at the time. Not very tall, under six feet nor a real fast mover but looked fit enough to spring into it.

Good nerves. He isn't jumpy. Could be chaos all around to no affect, in control.

Doesn't look like he's changed his hairstyle since forever.

Doesn't give much away, guarded in that he avoided direct eye contact when we spoke. Completely.

He was connected outside of the Drug Squad, to the Feds and government intelligence agencies. He drew on those for specific 'talents' (all probably perfectly legal) and led their command when he wanted them so he was no slouch even if he might have looked like one. Appearances can be deceptive after all.

No aversion to extreme violence, like water off a ducks back but I got the impression he wasn't so hands on himself or rather 'why have dogs and bark yourself'.

Just fleeting impressions, my opinion.

F
His appearance is kind of ordinary, he could be invisible in a room full of people and just not get noticed. Not flashy but once he was wearing a suit that bagged slightly so he might have lost weight he probably couldn't afford to lose at the time. Not very tall, under six feet nor a real fast mover but looked fit enough to spring into it.

Doesn't look like he's changed his hairstyle since forever.

Doesn't give much away, guarded in that he avoided direct eye contact when we spoke. Completely.

He was connected outside of the Drug Squad, to the Feds and government intelligence agencies. He drew on those for specific 'talents' (all probably perfectly legal) and led their command when he wanted them so he was no slouch even if he might have looked like one. Appearances can be deceptive after all.

No aversion to extreme violence, like water off a ducks back but I got the impression he wasn't so hands on himself or rather 'why have dogs and bark yourself'.

Just fleeting impressions, my opinion.
facinating!
not the first time i have heard the baggy suit mentioned either.

so many stories about him yet very guarded and never said anything.
very curious that he went away for 1 deal yet by all accounts he has done much much more, any information about that or what he’s had to say? There were certainly phone taps that caught him and tony mokbel together in association and Adam Shand did a podcast earlier this year with someone he locked up and claimed to have been set up and Carl Williams was mentioned as someone who was trying to find information on Strawhorn too.

In what capacity did you meet him if you don’t mind answering.

He & Mark Moran have always been of interest to me.

There were certainly phone taps that caught him and tony mokbel together in association

There were phone taps and Mokbel knew he was talking to Strawhorn? That surprises me. Do you have a link? TIA.

People definitely were set up and it wasn't confined to Victoria. All it takes for a conspiracy charge with no presumption of bail that in most states can carry a life term, is essentially to get caught with the precursor. Via Strawhorn and their totally corrupt chemical diversion program.

There were phone taps and Mokbel knew he was talking to Strawhorn? That surprises me. Do you have a link? TIA.

People definitely were set up and it wasn't confined to Victoria. All it takes for a conspiracy charge with no presumption of bail that in most states can carry a life term, is essentially to get caught with the precursor. Via Strawhorn and their totally corrupt chemical diversion program.

I will try to find it, I believe it was in a few books, one Tony Mokbel was caught on phone saying he will get in touch with Wayne to adjust a fellow crims bail so it’s more relaxed & another story popped up where Strawhorn was going to invite Mokbel to a police ball i believe it was.
The stories are lying somewhere on my book shelf.
Adam Shand’s podcast didn’t paint him too well again either, especially when it was about someone claiming to be set up.

Mark Moran, seems like a bit of mystery, so much known about the other members of the family yet only small bits and pieces about him, I haven’t seen anything that even mentions him ever being arrested either.
All the other family members did time but nothing about Mark that i could find.
Nor could i find the files on his coronial inquest.

Seems to be the one who was quite highly regarded but quite private.

I will try to find it, I believe it was in a few books, one Tony Mokbel was caught on phone saying he will get in touch with Wayne to adjust a fellow crims bail so it’s more relaxed & another story popped up where Strawhorn was going to invite Mokbel to a police ball i believe it was.

Thanks, I'm not sure that as evidence would hold up to prove any association. It would take more than that imo, like video where they were together or taps of an engagement. Strawhorn speaking directly one on one with Mokbel. That reads as if they knew the phones were tapped and Mokbel was trying to dump Strawhorn in it. For fun.

Thanks, I'm not sure that as evidence would hold up to prove any association. It would take more than that imo, like video where they were together or taps of an engagement. Strawhorn speaking directly one on one with Mokbel. That reads as if they knew the phones were tapped and Mokbel was trying to dump Strawhorn in it. For fun.
I found it, I knew i had some information here in a book somewhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 274
They bumped into each other at the track? That's easy done but still not sure it proves a nefarious or business 'association'.

Thanks for that, appreciated. Which book and who wrote it?
No, there’s not much in terms of that, just a few mentions here and there of the 2 but nothing too solid.

It is “Bigwig” by Liam Houlihan who also wrote “Once upon a time in Melbourne” around the Hodsons and Shane Chartres-Abbott.

I’ll need to check out one of Andrew Frasers book, there is one chapter on Mokbel although he is referred to as “Ivan”

A little bit of news out of todays hearing with Wayne Strawhorn, nothing too interesting coming out due to strawhorn naming an informer by accident that was supposed to be supressed.
Back on the stand tomorrow with Margaret McMurdo keen to keep as much of this in public as possible.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...e/news-story/f93ebd9397ce37f428ca60e86b020453

I'll bet they're trying to keep him quiet, what he went away for was the tip of the iceberg.

Paywalled ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The police barrister Saul Holt even said he would go to the supreme court if these issues weren't dealt with.
It wasn't behind a paywall for myself but the age also have a quick little write up with little information really.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...iry-doors-shut-to-public-20190430-p51iod.html

Thanks for this article. Bolded, that isn't correct imo and I'm pretty sure it was Gobbo acting for the heroin dealer in Victoria. And that Victorian heroin dealer got a wholly suspended sentence at an in-camera hearing at Moe or Morwell (right out of the way) in return for his assistance for the arrest of a group in NSW (who were actually not doing anything at the time none with priors for drugs) with Strawhorn's precursor for their first bust across the border.

Really corrupt. One of them was only 19 years old and never been in any trouble before.

The actions of Ms Gobbo and the force are under scrutiny because she gave police information about her own clients, calling into question a number of criminal convictions.

Before the inquiry was closed, Mr Strawhorn said he met Ms Gobbo when she was representing an accused drug trafficker investigated in Operation Carron.

Mr Strawhorn told the commission Ms Gobbo had contacted him to discuss her client becoming an informer against Sydney heroin suppliers.

Like a really bad movie script full of plot holes. :tearsofjoy:

At the time, Mokbel had been arrested in Greece after he fled drug trafficking charges in Australia in which Ms Gobbo had acted as his lawyer.

Ms Gobbo was also informing on him and relaying to police the conversations she was having with him while he was imprisoned in Greece.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...el-on-a-wig-and-a-prayer-20190412-p51dlz.html
“2958 [one of the informer numbers given to Ms Gobbo] spoke of Mokbel trying to blackmail 2958 over sex video tapes,” her handlers wrote in February 2008.

Just who featured in the alleged sex videos was not mentioned in the documents.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/tony-mokbel-allegedly-blackmailed-nicola-gobbo-over-sex-tape-20190501-p51j43.html

Like a really bad movie script full of plot holes. :tearsofjoy:

At the time, Mokbel had been arrested in Greece after he fled drug trafficking charges in Australia in which Ms Gobbo had acted as his lawyer.

Ms Gobbo was also informing on him and relaying to police the conversations she was having with him while he was imprisoned in Greece.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...el-on-a-wig-and-a-prayer-20190412-p51dlz.html
“2958 [one of the informer numbers given to Ms Gobbo] spoke of Mokbel trying to blackmail 2958 over sex video tapes,” her handlers wrote in February 2008.

Just who featured in the alleged sex videos was not mentioned in the documents.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/tony-mokbel-allegedly-blackmailed-nicola-gobbo-over-sex-tape-20190501-p51j43.html
There's just one big hole...

That is certainly one to watch!
I see there's the potential for Charlie Bezzina and Murray Gregor as well which looks like a focus on the Hodson's are coming up soon.

Whenever I've had time I check in to look at the Live Feed, they're behind closed doors. I must be unlucky.

Whenever I've had time I check in to look at the Live Feed, they're behind closed doors. I must be unlucky.
Very bad timing, almost all of Strawhorn was behind closed doors and “Kruger” today was aside from an hour or 2 in the morning was all behind closed doors.

The little information that did come out today was more along the lines of “Kruger” getting slaughtered on the stand and basically about to become an unreliable witness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back