Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You did snake. Personally, I had no idea that a Royal Commission did not have the powers it needs to properly investigate and expose. It's a shame really. I suppose the whole thing would fall over if from the Government down it could be truly investigated.

The RC has powers, but those are limited by political decree and the cast of characters assembled to conduct them.

I predict one of the recommendations will be greater oversight of PII and disclosure as per the last paragraph of the submission by the Criminal Bar Association. (its on the website).

I doubt VicPol will "officially" ever use lawyers again, but the process will still be wide open to favor the interests of the state.

This is the vacuum we have leftover from the withdrawal of British constitutional oversights.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
The RC has powers, but those are limited by political decree and the cast of characters assembled to conduct them.

I doubt VicPol will "officially" ever use lawyers again, but the process will still be wide open to favor the interests of the state.

This is the vacuum we have leftover from the withdrawal of British constitutional oversights.
If your referring to Privy Council, which was/is essentially the only British mechanism with powers for Australian Constitutional oversight, British constitutional oversight has not been withdrawn; it still exists, but simply requires leave of the High Court to access it. Although the High Court has stated that it is unlikely to give such leave.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I sense your frustration Snake; and I consider your sentiment is not without good reason. I just want to say, perhaps naively, that the best State oversight we have is WE.

Absolutely, but how often do WE ever get to reasonably exercise it?

Our political systems treat us like cattle to be herded.

Last edited:

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely, but how often we WE ever get to reasonably exercise it?

Our political systems treat us like cattle to be herded.
This is true. Which is why I think Victorians should support whichever political administration genuinely commits to pursuing an adequate increase in powers and resources for IBAC to carry out its functions, and more.

Mr White from SDU again, digging his own hole. I wonder who they have tagged for Mr Pink.

But he admitted arresting her to end the conflict was an option.

"It did cross my mind that might be an option, but there's no powers of arrest for a conflict of interest and I didn't think it would be sufficient to justify an arrest for a perverse of the course of justice," he said.

Mr White said he had no issue with Ms Gobbo's information and the only problem with the cook was that she continued to represent him.

"She didn't do that for anyone else," he said.

But counsel assisting the commission Chris Winneke QC disagreed, pointing to the prison release of Faruk Orman on Friday.

This isn't okay either imo. White again, what a creep.

"When she (Gobbo) had a stroke I thought she might have been vulnerable to an approach by police," he told the commission.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, I read them over the last few days. Very informative in totally. Liked the telephone intercepts and the court of appeal reasons for dismissing each ground.

One of the SDU officers gave evidence yesterday with the first part being public before it went to a closed hearing. He criticised the HC comment about 'reprehensible conduct' but then admitted he hadn't read the full judgments or seen the Comrie and Kellam reports. He had only seen a 2 page summary given to him by his lawyer. I don't get why he wouldn't have read them all including the redacted versions of the reports. Why would a lawyer not prepare their client better than that? It seemed weird to me.
Maybe he doesn't trust lawyers. ;)

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
You did snake. Personally, I had no idea that a Royal Commission did not have the powers it needs to properly investigate and expose. It's a shame really. I suppose the whole thing would fall over if from the Government down it could be truly investigated.

I predict one of the recommendations will be greater oversight of PII and disclosure as per the last paragraph of the submission by the Criminal Bar Association. (its on the website).
No, the RC has already been hobbled from any real potential to discover evidence of a conspiracy between Gobbo's handlers, the Prosecutors who prosecuted those cases of Gobbo's clients , and possibly the beaks.
But who's surprised, when there's a big huge serial killing case that could be seriously disrupted should the lead prosecutor have to come back to Victoria to spend her valuable time with a little old royal commission talking about Barty Rizzo and other such matters.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Vicpol issues veiled prosecution threat (via the age) against Mokbel if he rennegs on the plea deal that put in inside...

Tony Mokbel: Up a legal creek without a paddle https://www.theage.com.au/national/...l-creek-without-a-paddle-20190801-p52ctk.html via theage

"If Tony thinks he can row away from his past on a technicality he should know that if that happened he would be hit with a tidal wave of new charges. Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for."

Vicpol issues veiled prosecution threat (via the age) against Mokbel if he rennegs on the plea deal that put in inside...

Tony Mokbel: Up a legal creek without a paddle https://www.theage.com.au/national/...l-creek-without-a-paddle-20190801-p52ctk.html via theage

"If Tony thinks he can row away from his past on a technicality he should know that if that happened he would be hit with a tidal wave of new charges. Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for."

Thanks PD but I can't get into that article. Having a laugh at Sly though, has he specified what those new charges might be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I think I know why they're playing this game now, threats of more charges etc. It's about money, they've never been able to find all of his.
Or is it simply because he's a crook and they're doing their job?

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks PD but I can't get into that article. Having a laugh at Sly though, has he specified what those new charges might be?
Can read all his articles in full from here https://www.facebook.com/john.silvester.96

Operation Kayak is what Sly has probably been told to allude to....

Extracts»
If Tony thinks he can disappear if his convictions are quashed, then his recent bang on the head from a prison bashing has damaged his thought process. Not only has he forgotten that he pleaded guilty, he also doesn’t remember there is a truckload of statements, recordings and forensic evidence that has not been presented against him.

Sitting somewhere in the Victoria Police Crime Command is a fat file called Kayak that could lead to Tony being caught up a creek without a legal paddle.

Because he pleaded guilty, he was given a sentencing discount - 30 years with a minimum of 22 - with the judge saying that without his admission of guilt he would have been given life.

We can reveal that behind closed doors Mokbel only agreed to plead guilty to charges from three separate investigations - code named Orbital, Quills and Magnum - on the condition that the much bigger charges from Kayak were shelved. He was sentenced over 45 kilograms of drugs. Kayak involved an importation 12 times that size.

Those in the know say there is no chance Mokbel’s conviction will be overturned but if it were, police would dust off the Kayak file and he could be re-charged before he could open the minibar in a five-star hotel.

Stashed in a consignment of bargain-basement toilets, the Serbian container held drugs with a black market value of $20 million. But it could be used to produce 40 million designer pills with a street value of $2 billion.

The container was shipped to Mokbel’s heartland in Coburg. Mokbel told Joe he transported the chemicals to a bush safe haven. Wherever he stashed it he did a thorough job, because it has never been found.

Kayak investigators declared the chemicals were imported in 22 tubs, each containing 25 kilos of ephedrine. Mokbel sold one for $500,000 and planned to move another to cover the shipment cost. Joe posed as a potential buyer and was given a 27.2-gram sample. Forensic testing on the sample matched ephedrine traces in a toilet in the container. Drug swipes also proved positive in five of the eight bowls and basins examined.

The container was located in a Coburg warehouse controlled by Milad Mokbel. The toilets and basins were transported to a property site in Sunbury, where Tony Mokbel was investing in building a block of units, but were later judged to be of inferior quality and destroyed.

There were hundreds of telephone and face-to-face conversations captured with Mokbel buying and selling drugs and chemicals, discussing amphetamine cooks and accessing pill presses. None of this had anything to do with Gobbo.

The evidence was overwhelming. So why wasn’t it put before the court when Mokbel was finally grabbed in August 2001?

That was because Joe saw some in the then Drug Squad were corrupt and blew the whistle, resulting in three detectives being charged – which meant the Mokbel case was put on hold until they were prosecuted (all three were jailed).

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Loving the tears from that one eyed bitch that her boy Victor didn’t get any justice.

Two words you old slag; WALSH STREET

gobbo.png

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Operation Kayak...

None of this had anything to do with Gobbo....

The evidence was overwhelming. So why wasn’t it put before the court when Mokbel was finally grabbed in August 2001?

That was because Joe saw some in the then Drug Squad were corrupt and blew the whistle, resulting in three detectives being charged – which meant the Mokbel case was put on hold until they were prosecuted (all three were jailed).

One of those detectives was defended in Court by....

Gobbo

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Surely these alleged to be police informing Victorian lawyers are no longer informing, or practising law in Victoria, or anywhere else in Australia?

Practising lawyers were still registered as police informers as recently as last year, prominent gangland barrister Zarah Garde-Wilson has told the ABC

"We got information about 12 months ago that current lawyers were registered," Ms Garde-Wilson said.
"Given the High Court decision, wouldn't you deregister them as a matter of course?"

"This is the worst legal scandal in Australian history," Ms Garde-Wilson said.

There are also growing concerns the practice of using lawyers as police informants may not be isolated to Victoria.
The New South Wales Bar Association met with the NSW Police, the NSW Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, the NSW Crime Commission and the Law Enforcement Commission to seek assurances the practice had not been used in that state. The association's deputy executive director, Alistair McConnachie, said discussions were ongoing. But NSW police said they conducted an audit in the use of human sources going as far back at 2003 and had not found any breaches of legal privilege in the state similar to the case of Lawyer X.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Can read all his articles in full from here https://www.facebook.com/john.silvester.96

Operation Kayak is what Sly has probably been told to allude to....

Extracts»
If Tony thinks he can disappear if his convictions are quashed, then his recent bang on the head from a prison bashing has damaged his thought process. Not only has he forgotten that he pleaded guilty, he also doesn’t remember there is a truckload of statements, recordings and forensic evidence that has not been presented against him.

Sitting somewhere in the Victoria Police Crime Command is a fat file called Kayak that could lead to Tony being caught up a creek without a legal paddle.

Because he pleaded guilty, he was given a sentencing discount - 30 years with a minimum of 22 - with the judge saying that without his admission of guilt he would have been given life.

We can reveal that behind closed doors Mokbel only agreed to plead guilty to charges from three separate investigations - code named Orbital, Quills and Magnum - on the condition that the much bigger charges from Kayak were shelved. He was sentenced over 45 kilograms of drugs. Kayak involved an importation 12 times that size.

Those in the know say there is no chance Mokbel’s conviction will be overturned but if it were, police would dust off the Kayak file and he could be re-charged before he could open the minibar in a five-star hotel.

Stashed in a consignment of bargain-basement toilets, the Serbian container held drugs with a black market value of $20 million. But it could be used to produce 40 million designer pills with a street value of $2 billion.

The container was shipped to Mokbel’s heartland in Coburg. Mokbel told Joe he transported the chemicals to a bush safe haven. Wherever he stashed it he did a thorough job, because it has never been found.

Kayak investigators declared the chemicals were imported in 22 tubs, each containing 25 kilos of ephedrine. Mokbel sold one for $500,000 and planned to move another to cover the shipment cost. Joe posed as a potential buyer and was given a 27.2-gram sample. Forensic testing on the sample matched ephedrine traces in a toilet in the container. Drug swipes also proved positive in five of the eight bowls and basins examined.

The container was located in a Coburg warehouse controlled by Milad Mokbel. The toilets and basins were transported to a property site in Sunbury, where Tony Mokbel was investing in building a block of units, but were later judged to be of inferior quality and destroyed.

There were hundreds of telephone and face-to-face conversations captured with Mokbel buying and selling drugs and chemicals, discussing amphetamine cooks and accessing pill presses. None of this had anything to do with Gobbo.

Detective Silvester still doing excellent PR work for VicPol. He really is a well balanced "journalist".

1) He's delusional if he believes a plea based upon the legal advice of a corrupt lawyer is going to gain any traction with the courts when it comes to holding a defendant to that plea.

2) Good luck to police re-instituting charges, as the massive mitigation a defendant would receive based upon years of wrongful incarceration, would be significant.

3) It's likely that certain persons who have been affected by this are going to seek a reduction in sentence based upon tainted evidence, rather than a complete dismissal of all charges.

Detective Silvester still doing excellent PR work for VicPol. He really is a well balanced "journalist".

1) He's delusional if he believes a plea based upon the legal advice of a corrupt lawyer is going to gain any traction with the courts when it comes to holding a defendant to that plea.

2) Good luck to police re-instituting charges, as the massive mitigation a defendant would receive based upon years of wrongful incarceration, would be significant.

3) It's likely that certain persons who have been affected by this are going to seek a reduction in sentence based upon tainted evidence, rather than a complete dismissal of all charges.

Agree. Pleading guilty isn't necessarily an impediment to finding an injustice or wrong outcome.

But how is he going to claw any credit back when and if people realise he should have known all the above and he was lying to them?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Agree. Pleading guilty isn't necessarily an impediment to finding an injustice or wrong outcome.

Absolutely.

But how is he going to claw any credit back when and if people realise he should have known all the above and he was lying to them?

In Mokbel's particular case there is a multitude of added factors.

You may remember that significant pressure was applied to women in his family?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back