Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

A little interesting statement uploaded yesterday about Victor Pierce, Vince Benvenuto & Andrew Veniamin by "Mr Thomas"

Attachments

• Exhibit RC1650b Statement of Mr 'Thomas', 24 November 2008, tendered 9 July 2020.pdf
    617 KB · Views: 222
A bit news coming through today with potentially big implications.

Coincidentally IBAC have been copied in by the Feds:
Federal Police have asked Victoria's anti corruption watchdog to look at allegations more than $1 million was transferred from the Vatican to Australia to attempt to secure the conviction of Cardinal George Pell.

Here comes another one. I wonder how many millions in compensation he'll get.

I dare say lots more to come now, especially after the recent revelations about “Mr Cooper”

'Next week the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants is due to hand down what is expected to be a damning report into the force’s use of barrister-turned-informer Nicola Gobbo to allegedly violate the rights of more than 124 clients.'

'the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants has made 111 recommendations.'

'Key points:

• The special investigator would determine if Ms Gobbo or any police officers broke the law
  • It should have been clear to police that they needed to disclose Ms Gobbo's status as an informer, the commissioner said
  • Margaret McMurdo said 1,011 cases may have been tainted'

https://www.rcmpi.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-11/Final Report Full Report.pdf (1008 pages long)

(65 pages long)

Margaret McMurdo said 1,011 cases may have been tainted'

We might be lucky if this doesn't break the state of Victoria and I have no idea how trust is to be restored.

Maybe if they can somehow lace Victoria's version of the COVID-19 vaccination with a dose of Justice, Justice will be restored*

* provided there aren't too many anti-vaxxxxers in the State of Corruption (VIC).

'The 1,011 people can also be split into two groups. The first group of 887 people are potentially affected in a broad way, like the manner identified in R v Szabo. These people were represented by Ms Gobbo between 1998 and 2013 and it was not disclosed to them that she was providing information to police as a human source. The second group of 124 people are potentially affected in a more specific way. Counsel Assisting wrote case studies on each of these 124 people in their submissions.'

'RECOMMENDATION 106
That Victoria Police and prosecuting agencies, within six months, make all reasonable attempts to advise the 887 people whose cases may have been affected in the manner identified in R v Szabo that their cases may have been affected by Ms Nicola Gobbo’s conduct as a human source, and facilitate ongoing disclosure of relevant information to those persons.'

Task Force 'Reset'
Not to be confused with

'the revival of the baseless conspiracy theory, known as the 'Great Reset', which claims a group of world leaders orchestrated the pandemic to take control of the global economy.
The conspiracy theory has its origins in a genuine plan entitled 'The Great Reset', drawn up by the World Economic Forum (WEF)'

Task Force 'Reset'

'The new taskforce - dubbed Taskforce Response - will address all the matters raised in the commission, Mr Patton said.'

Have they replaced 'Reset' with 'Response' already, or did Patton misspeak in his press conference just now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'The new taskforce - dubbed Taskforce Response - will address all the matters raised in the commission, Mr Patton said.'

Have they replaced 'Reset' with 'Response' already, or did Patton misspeak in his press conference just now?
What is the point of a royal commission if you need another one to look into it? I thought commissioners had power at their discretion to lay charges???
I maybe mistaken but just shows what a waste of time they can be

What is the point of a royal commission if you need another one to look into it? I thought commissioners had power at their discretion to lay charges???
I maybe mistaken but just shows what a waste of time they can be

IBAC wants more money now. FFS. A Royal Commission should be enough to have cleaned this up and tied it off so we can wipe our hands of it.

Anti-corruption boss calls for more funding as Lawyer X investigation adds to agency's workload

Holy shite, over one thousand people may be impacted.

In surprise news this morning!

Thanks for the link. That's the cocaine import charge dealt with, if there's to be consistency we might expect the remaining convictions to also be quashed? The fruit of the poison tree stuffs.

Rowena Orr, QC, lawyer for the Commonwealth, said the director would not pursue a retrial.

"The director has already determined in this matter to not conduct a retrial," Ms Orr said.

Mokbel is also appealing charges related to operations codenamed Quills, Orbital and Magnum, because of Ms Gobbo's alleged involvement.

In surprise news this morning!

The relevance of this decision is that it will resonate with ALL Victorians, Tony is a genuine talking point.

Ms Coate will report next week on a different form of management dysfunction in VicPol.

Years ago when Robert Clark was A-G, it was discovered (most likely through someone I know) that police had submitted unsworn evidence in many cases - including the Mokbel case. Instead of upholding the law, the Vic government introduced retroactive laws to make admissible inadmissible evidence. Absolutely repugnant.

So to see Mokbel be able to give the middle finger to the Victorian government is a good day in my book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back