Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants

The biggest scandal in Victoria's legal history.

Dozens of criminals are soon to claim that their convictions were tainted by systemic police misconduct during and after Melbourne's gangland war.

The systemic wrongdoing, which was sanctioned at the highest levels in the force and which some officers feared was endangering lives, is due to be detailed when the scandal erupts next week.

A special court was expected to be set up to deal with a deluge of appeals among talk of a Royal Commission.

From The Age

A series of high-profile criminal convictions could be thrown into doubt next week following a protracted legal battle over the use of a controversial informer with strong links to Melbourne’s underworld and law enforcement.

An investigative agency recently lost a four-year court battle against another government department to suppress information that is expected to raise serious concerns about the integrity of Victoria’s justice system.

At the heart of the controversy is how the investigative agency obtained information from an informer regarding Melbourne’s gangland war, despite the informer having a blatant conflict of interest because of their professional role.
It is understood the registered informer provided intelligence on some of the nation's most notorious criminals for more than five years.

But it is understood the extensive suppression orders relating to the matter will be revoked next week.

That is expected to spark the release of parts of a damning report by the Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC) that could severely damage the careers of several high-ranking public officials.

The legal basis of several major criminal convictions, including those for murder and drug trafficking, have been cast into doubt and will be re-examined as part of a review into the conduct of the investigative agency.

It is likely a Supreme Court Justice will be appointed to review a series of cases to see if it was likely that compromised evidence was used to gain convictions or influence decisions by accused to plead guilty.

If there is any suggestion of tainted evidence lawyers will be able to apply the Full Court of the Supreme Court to have the convictions set aside.

One senior legal source familiar with the case said the decision to use the registered informer could prove to be the “the most disastrous miscarriage of justice in the state’s history.”

It is known some of Victoria’s most notorious criminals have been aware of the controversy and are waiting for the legal green light to pursue appeals.

The informer is understood to have received a multi-million-dollar settlement over the conduct of the law enforcement agency.

A senior official said the exposure of the saga would be one of the state’s worst scandals.

“Is it criminal? No. Is it ethical? No. Absolutely no,” the source said.

Authorities have attempted to keep a tight lid since the proceeding began in 2014, blanketing the matter in suppression orders.

In April 2014, then Solicitor General David Ryan took the unusual step of warning media of his "grave concerns" about any publication of the explosive details.

Claims that a string of high-profile trials had been compromised prompted an investigation by Victoria's corruption watchdog which was led by former Supreme Court judge Murray Kellam.

The Age
understands the findings of the IBAC probe could also be released next week.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...er-conduct-of-informer-x-20181129-p50j6v.html

Tony Mokbel and an 'informant' features with claims raising hopes his sentence will be either overturned or reduced, so he's out within four years. Senior police privately believe his claims have merit.

ganglandscandal.jpg

theabyss.jpg

A good read that

I made it up , yeah yeah is the slogan of a hair restoration con company

ah haaaaaa! I still get a laugh out of that cartoon I can't remember who did it, with a scared stiff squirrell on Tony's head with it's hands up in the air as if to say "don't shoot".

A good read that

Those names in there, quite well known I'll just mention some and leave a bit out. QC's Lovitt, Richter, Dunn and Dane have also been 'around' Tony for a long time. This fraternity was never going to let him do 22 years on the bottom in these 'circumstances'. imo.

Pretty sure it was Knight did the cartoon.

What a great family, mum must be proud of her boys.

When I first started at Barwon in '07, Tony wasn't there yet, his brothers were though. Horti and Kabalan I think their names are.

Just so you know, I still gag at the offspring's protest by smearing the walls. How disgusting.

:bomb::bomb::bomb:

Carl Williams was killed in 2010.

Sir Ken Jones, Victoria's former deputy chief commissioner, had raised concerns about the conduct of officials and police as they grew ever desperate to end the bloody street war.

A 2014 email he wrote said he had begun to hear whispers of the wrongdoing as early as 2010.

'(Systematic) abuse of the Victorian criminal court process and distortion of trials over many years. Serious crimes and imprisonable contempts of court committed by amateur police sleuths,' he wrote, according to the paper.

He said there are potential issues of misconduct that would likely be levied against a number of senior police.

Mr Jones claims that when he attempted to address the whispers of misconduct he lost his position as deputy chief commissioner.

Police conduct from 1999 to 2014 will be subject to scrutiny with some senior legal officials claiming police tactics and conduct at the time was 'out of control'.

Senior police and former politicians are expected to be questioned about what they know of the claims.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...bournes-gangland-war-convictions-DROPPED.html

If it's Garde-Wilson, just saying it would be the second female lawyer that's been put in a dangerous position for the police ...

XXXXXX XXXXX, 37, who has represented Melbourne's biggest underworld names, covertly taped a conversation with former drug squad detective Paul Dale in 2008 and later signed a statement after, she claims, repeated police urging.

She also alleges in her statement of claim filed with the Supreme Court this week that she has been left without the witness management police had agreed to since November last year, and that the financial compensation promised to ensure she would be ''no worse off'' as a witness has failed to eventuate.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...lice-top-lawyer-speaks-out-20100430-tzfw.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drugs and murder, much the same thing. I have no problem with him being locked up, regardless of how he got there.

Drugs and murder, much the same thing. I have no problem with him being locked up, regardless of how he got there.

I disagree drugs and murder is much the same thing but it's not really the point imo. We wouldn't be looking at having 600 convictions overturned if the cops hadn't been prepared to go to any lengths to lock these people up on tainted evidence. Also, how much money is this going to cost us because they couldn't with all the resources they have, play by the rules. Probably over 100 million by the time this is cleaned up.

Roberta Williams accused xxxxxx xxxxx at one point.

Speaking of Roberta, how long before she blows a fuse? :laughing:

I have absolutely no reason to think it’s ZGW, was just the only female lawyer I could remember from the period.

Ah well, looks like we’ll have a couple more Underbelly seasons on the way

I disagree drugs and murder is much the same thing but it's not really the point imo. We wouldn't be looking at having 600 convictions overturned if the cops hadn't been prepared to go to any lengths to lock these people up on tainted evidence. Also, how much money is this going to cost us because they couldn't with all the resources they have, play by the rules. Probably over 100 million by the time this is cleaned up.
Oh I'm not suggesting the cops haven't done the wrong thing to bolster their case/s but that doesn't make the crims innocent.

A series of high-profile criminal convictions could be thrown into doubt

A series of high-profile criminal convictions could be thrown into doubt

Could be? Its already a given many of them will be quietly let out and it's been well known in legal circles what really happened. This is all about timing.

Could be? Its already a given many of them will be quietly let out and it's been well known in legal circles what really happened. This is all about timing.

I feel the lawyers will make money

So will many of the crims. Mokbel imo won't go for compensation for other reasons. But if what I'm thinking is right, Roberta and Dhakota Williams might be in for a massive payout.

We - shall - see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back