Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Overland?

Shelly, you should know by now that I won't outright answer questions like that. Anywhere and under any circumstances.

IMO, Overland is being stitched up as the fall guy, because he made life difficult for the shadier elements at StKilda Rd.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Nobody seems to of twigged to the significance of this story yet.
Or have you?
Tell me why this old story is extremely significant, and I'll tell you if your right.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk
What did Nicola say yesteray about being a witness in a federal court case?

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Can you expand on it Redacted?
It would appear upon face value, that the reason the the Royal Commission is barred from calling Judges and Prosecutors maybe is that the Royal Commission is deliberately being hobbled from discovering that they were in the know about Nicola Gobbo being used in cases before them or that they were persecuting. At least that story would certainly strongly suggest that is the case. If so, we might be dealing with a conspiracy to pervert justice between the police, prosecutors and the judges. How else could you read this article? If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Why would state policemen be running scared of federal policemen finding out?
Maybe it was the thought of being arrested for conspiracy to pervert....?

27f4fcfc0aaae3d26d0de289b955299b.jpg

Last edited:
Why would state policemen be running scared of federal policemen finding out?
Maybe it was the thought of being arrested for conspiracy to pervert....?

27f4fcfc0aaae3d26d0de289b955299b.jpg

Only way that could have worked imo is if the tins were found after an anonymous tip off?

I'd find it really difficult to believe the AFP didn't snoop and find the background to that, really difficult.

She's the worst.

In one breath claims offence motivated her into spying on her fellow lawyers diddling or defrauding Legal Aid and the next, righteously defending her own position of billing and taking money from her clients while acting against and informing on them.

Three Melbourne men on trial for drug trafficking went to Nicola Gobbo for ideas on how to get a new trial before setting on a plan to kill a co-accused, it's been revealed.
But the hired hitman Matthew Johnson - who later murdered underworld killer Carl Williams in prison - messed up the hit, a royal commission has heard.
The plot was arranged by men including convicted crooks John Higgs and Rob Karam, a client of Ms Gobbo.
She's admitted knowing they were looking for ways to disrupt their trial and discussed it at dinners throughout the trial.
Mr Chettle put to Ms Gobbo there was discussion among her social group that she was to pass messages to Johnson in prison to "stay staunch and not to put in the people who had paid him".
Ms Gobbo said she couldn't specifically remember it, but admitted she had passed messages to members of the group between prison and outside.

spike101

All Australian
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Funniest s**t ever. For any budding pathological liars out there you need to get a hold of these tapes and learn what not to do.
Anyone have a view on the performance of counsel assisting. I presume Chettle is dyslexic otherwise his continued misqouting of documents and their reference numbers is unimpressive and irritating

Crimewavex

Debutant
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone have a view on the performance of counsel assisting. I presume Chettle is dyslexic otherwise his continued misqouting of documents and their reference numbers is unimpressive and irritating
View from inside the commission is that he fantastic, very hard work, knows his business & a tough man at cross examination.
Former judge I believe & also represent Strawhorn during his trial.

it’s nothing like the movies, people mumble, stumble with works and often get things mixed up, especially when dealing with thousands of documents.
Former judge I believe & also represented Wayne Strawhorn during his corruption trial because he was the lawyer for the police union if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited:

spike101

All Australian
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who are these guys, I know the counsel. Is one of them Sylvester?

Attachments

• 20200221_143549.jpg
    20200221_143549.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 20200221_143602.jpg
    20200221_143602.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 235
  • RC_143636.jpg
    RC_143636.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 230
For something that should never have happened in the first place.

Lawyer X royal commission by the numbers

BY DENIS BEDOYA ON FEBRUARY 22, 2020

THE “LAWYER X” ROYAL COMMISSION, BY THE NUMBERS

* 127 days of public hearings.
* 81 witnesses appeared in person, by phone or videolink, including Nicola Gobbo, Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton, former police chiefs Simon Overland, Christine Nixon and Ken Lay, senior gangland investigators Jim O’Brien and Stuart Bateson, police handlers and crooks.
* 120 additional witnesses who provided statements.
* 140 submissions from members of the public.

* 80 key international and interstate stakeholders consulted on policy and practices for handling informers with legal obligations.
* 374 notices to produce information issued by the commission.
* 145,121 documents received in response, including diaries, reports and transcripts of conversations between Ms Gobbo and police.
* 1491 exhibits tendered during public hearings.
* 1297 individuals whose cases might have been affected by Ms Gobbo’ informing. They were either represented by her or received legal advice from her.
* 32 disclosure letters have been sent to affected persons by Victoria’s Director of Public Prosecutions Kerri Judd QC, advising convictions may have been tainted.
* 12 people notified by Commonwealth prosecutors that their case may have been affected.
* Four appeals ongoing in Victoria’s Court of Appeal – Tony Mokbel, Rob Karam, Zlate Cvetanovski and Jan Visser.
* One conviction overturned – Faruk Orman was acquitted of the 2002 murder of Victor Peirce after a successful petition for mercy.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't forget:

$? - cost of the Royal Commission
$? - cost of lifelong witness protection for Gobbo and family
$? - compensation paid to some of the most notorious crims in Victoria for using their lawyer as an informant

Don't forget:

$? - cost of the Royal Commission
$? - cost of lifelong witness protection for Gobbo and family
$? - compensation paid to some of the most notorious crims in Victoria for using their lawyer as an informant

I had it at about $100 million to clean up initially, I think it might even go triple that now all up.

:sick::sick::sick:

Nicola Gobbo, who has already cost Victoria Police millions in a legal settlement and thousands in living expenses for everything from cigarettes to concert tickets, is set to sue the force once again.

The supergrass will pursue Victoria Police for millions of dollars in compensation for a second time and has already briefed a legal team to launch civil action after the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants is finalised in July 2020.

Victoria Police have been paying for Ms Gobbo's accommodation and security arrangements since she went into hiding in late 2018, while the Department of Justice has been underwriting barristers who represented her at the royal commission.

Victoria Police has rejected a freedom-of-information request seeking an itemised list of the financial subsidies she is currently receiving since her exposure in 2018.

Nicola Gobbo's tab
Costs covered by taxpayers

Item

Cost
Income subsidy (2009-10)$1000 per week
Victorian Racing Club membership (2009)*$380
Pink concert tickets (2009)*$344
Civil lawsuit settlement (2010)$2,880,000
Suppression order trials (2016-18)$1,954,247
Royal Commission legal feesUnknown
Current police maintenance & supportSuppressed
* Gobbo reimbursed because she could not attend

The royal commission has compiled a master list of 1297 people whose cases could have been impacted by activities of the supergrass.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Seems wrong that she can sue for things that happened because of her criminal(?) activity. Did we know about the $2m for suppression order trials? Of course, for her it's not about the money...

Seems wrong that she can sue for things that happened because of her criminal(?) activity. Did we know about the $2m for suppression order trials? Of course, for her it's not about the money...

I have a really bad word for her but trying to behave myself.

I've started listening to the Understate pod with Adam Shand. He actually says the F word with great confidence and force in the first minute of the first episode like he says it all the time.

Back