RRR old time shows

BT

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2001
On the Piste
Other Teams
Dees
Originally posted by Grendel
Rusty you bugger.. where was my invite to the corner along with Darky.

;)
Gren, they're both Bastrads!

New used & abused, Station to Station, Fast Fictions, Mega(Manor)watts with Alan Thomas. Worth the subscription 12 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

evo

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Tell me, does anyone remember that guy named Madigan who presented a show of the same name early on Saturday mornings? I used to listen to him as a lad when getting ready for my weekend gig cooking donuts for Safeway.

He was just this gruff old bugger who would spend the hour blabbing away about nothing in particular. If I recall correctly one week he made some pretty nasty remarks about Jews and the station gave him the boot.
Yeah, he got sacked for bagging some Jews. I think he wrote something in the Age that someone didn't like LOL :D Geeze that was a long time ago. Maybe 20 years?

He was great listening if you liked your politics hard and nasty.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Wow.
A 6.5 year bump.
RRR fostered my love of alternative & industrial music in the very late 80's early 90's.
My fave show was on a Wednesday night "New Used & Abused" with Lawrence Hudson from memory 7pm - 10pm.
Breakfast was good value as well with Hatzis, O'Neill & Langbroek.

Fossie 32

Premium Platinum
Oct 6, 2002
1300GODOGS
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne..VICTORY, Leeds
Before they became RRR it was RMIT Radio or something and there was a guy called South Melbourne Dave on who I liked listening to :)
Also the Osso Buko? Show
And Schlagers - an in depth programme about Beatles music, loved that.
And Punter to Punter...

Ordovician

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Malvern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Steve Vizard also appeared on Punter To Punter infrequently.
The whole PTP team bob up all the time on tv & theatre,especially Tony Rickards (Con) & Tracy Harvey (Tammy).

Seth.
He was their manager for a while hence he did the intros for the radio show and the live shows.

Ordovician

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Malvern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can remember Tony Rickards on stage at Le Joke one friday night. At about 4am and he looks at his watch and says "Yeah its alright for you bastards to laugh, I've got to write, produce and present a radio show sometime in the next few hours"
There was a bit of artistic license in that statement. Sure they’d perform the show wrecked at times but he show was a written as it ever was by 4am Saturday.

They’d write the show on Friday night for a few hours come up with a rough script, consisting of basically a running order of segments, key jokes for each segment and a bit of verbiage around the jokes, then give up and then just improvise around this skeleton. Dr Turf already have his tips done before the script session as he was a professional punter who lived and breathed horse racing and all sorts of sports as well eg tennis, afl, poker etc.

The bit parters like Trev would write their own segments and that would be blended into to the chaos. Fortunately after a while they got very good at bluffing their way through it all as Con had a strong stand up and acting background and stand up is largely largely extemporaneous when you’re getting audience involvement including heckling, while Slim, Uncle Jack, Tracy Harvey et alia came out of the musical comedy cabaret act the Whittle Family a lot of which involved audience interaction during the comedy between the songs.

There live performances on cup eve and their Christmas pantomime fundraisers with acts like Los Trios were an absolute hoot.

Last edited:

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
There was a bit of artistic license in that statement. Sure they’d perform the show wrecked at times but he show was a written as it ever was by 4am Saturday.

They’d write the show on Friday night for a few hours come up with a rough script, consisting of basically a running order of segments, key jokes for each segment and a bit of verbiage around the jokes, then give up and then just improvise around this skeleton. Dr Turf already have his tips done before the script session as he was a professional punter who lived and breathed horse racing and all sorts of sports as well eg tennis, afl, poker etc.

The bit parters like Trev would write their own segments and that would be blended into to the chaos. Fortunately after a while they got very good at bluffing their way through it all as Con had a strong stand up and acting background and stand up is largely largely extemporaneous when you’re getting audience involvement including heckling, while Slim, Uncle Jack, Tracy Harvey et alia came out of the musical comedy cabaret act the Whittle Family a lot of which involved audience interaction during the comedy between the songs.

There live performances on cup eve and their Christmas pantomime fundraisers with acts like Los Trios were an absolute hoot.
I have a copy of the album, We're encouraging you Tibet.

Got it for a couple of bucks at a record fair years ago now. Still haven't listened to it though.

Top Bottom