RRR old time shows

Remove this Banner Ad

3RRR on the weekend of Valentines day will be having a marathon of past shows reliving their glory days. Such faves as eeek, Danger Low Brow, former breakfastsers such as Chris Hatsis and Stuart Brown as well as comedy classics such as Coodabeen champions, crud and punter to punter,

Should be interesting, will get the old vcr rm recording going for that feed.

What a Sat morning lineup that used to be.

Punter to Punter with Slim,Con,Dr Turf & Trev
followed by
Coodabeens
followed by
Lawyers Guns & Money.

Never knew how good we had it.

Seth.

Originally posted by sethlad

followed by
Coodabeens
followed by
Lawyers Guns & Money.

Seth.

Not forgetting 'Film Buffs Forecast'

I have almost every Couldabeens from 1985 on tape.

followed by
Coodabeens
followed by
Lawyers Guns & Money.

Seth.

Many a Staurday morning, I'd lie in bed with the hangover from hell and force myself awake so as not to miss a minute of each of these shows.

How about a list of RRR personalities who have gone on to bigger though not necessarily better things.

Coodabeens - Tony, Geoff, Ian, Simon, Greg,
Donahue and Stevenson
Trevor Marmalade
Merrick & Rosso
Kate Langbroek, Dave O'Neill & Dave Hughes
CRUD
Leapster
Billy Baxter
Brian Wise

Others?

Astonishing Armo still reads the news for 3aw, and Brett Duck appears to have a cushy job based in London reporting for Channel 9.

Speaking of ex-RRR announcers.Yesterday I attended the funeral of one Ms Lynda Gibson, who very sadly finally succumbed to ovarian cancer last week at the wee age of 47.
"Gibbo" was a true legend on the stand up circuit and a very funny lady and will be sadly missed by all who knew her.
RIP Gibbo:(

Steve Vizard also appeared on Punter To Punter infrequently.
The whole PTP team bob up all the time on tv & theatre,especially Tony Rickards (Con) & Tracy Harvey (Tammy).

Seth.

Steve Vizard also appeared on Punter To Punter infrequently.
The whole PTP team bob up all the time on tv & theatre,especially Tony Rickards (Con) & Tracy Harvey (Tammy).

Seth.

Steve Vizard was a regular on PTP, he always did the voiceovers and the sign off - "I'm Steve Vizard, 26 and still available".

I reckon Billy Baxter's show on Thursday afternoons (??) was great, he used to play songs that were all to a theme eg. colours, girls names, cars etc. Really played a wide and diverse range of stuff to fill the quota needed for the show.

The Coodabeens and PTP were great value on a saturday morning. Did anyone else ever go to one of the Coodabeens footy trivia contests against the ABC or the PTP live to air pantomines ??

I also liked the Skull Cave with Steve Walker, although he was a little full of himself.

Originally posted by TheSheik

The Coodabeens and PTP were great value on a saturday morning. Did anyone else ever go to one of the Coodabeens footy trivia contests against the ABC or the PTP live to air pantomines ??

Gotta agree on the Coodabeens, still have a few that i taped on cassette somewhere (for the Spider interviews)

Went to one of their live shows on the morning of the 1999 Grand final and i'm thinking i have been to one of their trivia contests against the ABC are they the ones they do outside the Vic Market?

I bought a Danger:Lowbrow vinyl LP "Appetite For Arriba" at JB Hi Fi for 5 cents a few years ago. Not a bad listen actually. Used to listen to them all the time both in their RRR and MMM days.

Our very own Rusty Brookes introduced me to Leaping Larry L over a beer at the Corner Hotel too. Nice chap, and writes a decent column for a Tigers man.

Wow coolness...ive got the appetite for ariba tshirt...

and outside of wrestling the legendary leapster was quite the metal head..
invloved with Melbourne's first metal fanzine...albeit photocopied..called Iron Age..used to love WASP of all bands..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Jim Boy
The line up can be found here

Now I remember why I used to listen to this station. There were some great shows: Danger: Lowbrow, Fast Fictions, Eek!, Punter to Punter, Coodabeens, Australian Mood, Mousetrap all being particular faves.

Those from the vaults will be worth taping. The Sports, The Models and The Birthday Party.

Thanks for the link Jim Boy.

No Mating Call though. Great dating program

Anybody remember Trivial Form Guide on Punter To Punter?

It was just them cracking jokes but you had to have the form guide handy to work out what the punchline was eg he's as fat as a Flemington race 7 number 3

Originally posted by hotpie
Anybody remember Trivial Form Guide on Punter To Punter?

It was just them cracking jokes but you had to have the form guide handy to work out what the punchline was eg he's as fat as a Flemington race 7 number 3

That was my favorite segment.

"When my girlfriend stays the night, I wear my race 5 no. 4.
Your Undisturbed?
My Undies-to-bed"

I can remember Tony Rickards on stage at Le Joke one friday night. At about 4am and he looks at his watch and says "Yeah its alright for you bastards to laugh, I've got to write, produce and present a radio show sometime in the next few hours"

Station to Station w/Karen Leng, Wheels of Steel w/Kieron Meagher, Breakfasters w/Chris Hatzis, Danger Lowbrow w/Leaping Larry L, Coodabeen Champions w/Champs, Ian Cover, Jeff Richardson, Tony Leonard + Co, Punter to Punter w/Con Marasco, Slim Whittle, Dr.Turf and co, Convict Streak w/Greig Pickhaver (aka HG Nelson), The Party Show w/Headley and others,
Paint the Town Clear Gloss w/Cuz Creep, Fast Fictions w/James the Hound-Dog Young + David the-Body Vodicka, Osso Booko w/Dave O'Neil + Vic Plume, Calamity w/Jane Gazzo, Whole Lotta Shonky w/ Jason Evans, Rosemary Walton, Adam Rozenbachs

I woulda listened more, too, but I had to sleep.

I think the best part is the CLASSIC music they've all played. That's what's kept me listening. Last I heard was about 11 people had signed up for the Lifetime Membership offer, but that was early Sunday morning, so maybe more did after that.

:cool:

i recall that i went to a PTP 'clambake' christmas show @ st kida palias(?) in 1987
it was a fantastic show and went for about 3.5 hours on a sunday nite.
From memory the cost was something like $6.

Was at work for virtually the duration but listened to much of it over the weekend as i was pottering about. Many great memories returned.

Just have to back up those that have said it already - Saturday mornings into mid afternoon was a lineup that I doubt any radio station, anywhere in the world would be able to beat.

Tell me, does anyone remember that guy named Madigan who presented a show of the same name early on Saturday mornings? I used to listen to him as a lad when getting ready for my weekend gig cooking donuts for Safeway.

He was just this gruff old bugger who would spend the hour blabbing away about nothing in particular. If I recall correctly one week he made some pretty nasty remarks about Jews and the station gave him the boot.

Ended up missing alot of it for various reasons, but recorded most of it. What I heard was great though it made me feel old. 19 years since PTP finished!

If anyone wants a copy of a chunk of recording, feel free to PM me to arrange a download. The files are real media and vary from 30 to 80MB per chunk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back