RRR old time shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me, does anyone remember that guy named Madigan who presented a show of the same name early on Saturday mornings? I used to listen to him as a lad when getting ready for my weekend gig cooking donuts for Safeway.

He was just this gruff old bugger who would spend the hour blabbing away about nothing in particular. If I recall correctly one week he made some pretty nasty remarks about Jews and the station gave him the boot.

Yeah, he got sacked for bagging some Jews. I think he wrote something in the Age that someone didn't like LOL :D Geeze that was a long time ago. Maybe 20 years?

He was great listening if you liked your politics hard and nasty.

Wow.
A 6.5 year bump.
RRR fostered my love of alternative & industrial music in the very late 80's early 90's.
My fave show was on a Wednesday night "New Used & Abused" with Lawrence Hudson from memory 7pm - 10pm.
Breakfast was good value as well with Hatzis, O'Neill & Langbroek.

Before they became RRR it was RMIT Radio or something and there was a guy called South Melbourne Dave on who I liked listening to :)
Also the Osso Buko? Show
And Schlagers - an in depth programme about Beatles music, loved that.
And Punter to Punter...

Steve Vizard also appeared on Punter To Punter infrequently.
The whole PTP team bob up all the time on tv & theatre,especially Tony Rickards (Con) & Tracy Harvey (Tammy).

Seth.

He was their manager for a while hence he did the intros for the radio show and the live shows.

I can remember Tony Rickards on stage at Le Joke one friday night. At about 4am and he looks at his watch and says "Yeah its alright for you bastards to laugh, I've got to write, produce and present a radio show sometime in the next few hours"

There was a bit of artistic license in that statement. Sure they’d perform the show wrecked at times but he show was a written as it ever was by 4am Saturday.

They’d write the show on Friday night for a few hours come up with a rough script, consisting of basically a running order of segments, key jokes for each segment and a bit of verbiage around the jokes, then give up and then just improvise around this skeleton. Dr Turf already have his tips done before the script session as he was a professional punter who lived and breathed horse racing and all sorts of sports as well eg tennis, afl, poker etc.

The bit parters like Trev would write their own segments and that would be blended into to the chaos. Fortunately after a while they got very good at bluffing their way through it all as Con had a strong stand up and acting background and stand up is largely largely extemporaneous when you’re getting audience involvement including heckling, while Slim, Uncle Jack, Tracy Harvey et alia came out of the musical comedy cabaret act the Whittle Family a lot of which involved audience interaction during the comedy between the songs.

There live performances on cup eve and their Christmas pantomime fundraisers with acts like Los Trios were an absolute hoot.

Last edited:
There was a bit of artistic license in that statement. Sure they’d perform the show wrecked at times but he show was a written as it ever was by 4am Saturday.

They’d write the show on Friday night for a few hours come up with a rough script, consisting of basically a running order of segments, key jokes for each segment and a bit of verbiage around the jokes, then give up and then just improvise around this skeleton. Dr Turf already have his tips done before the script session as he was a professional punter who lived and breathed horse racing and all sorts of sports as well eg tennis, afl, poker etc.

The bit parters like Trev would write their own segments and that would be blended into to the chaos. Fortunately after a while they got very good at bluffing their way through it all as Con had a strong stand up and acting background and stand up is largely largely extemporaneous when you’re getting audience involvement including heckling, while Slim, Uncle Jack, Tracy Harvey et alia came out of the musical comedy cabaret act the Whittle Family a lot of which involved audience interaction during the comedy between the songs.

There live performances on cup eve and their Christmas pantomime fundraisers with acts like Los Trios were an absolute hoot.

I have a copy of the album, We're encouraging you Tibet.

Got it for a couple of bucks at a record fair years ago now. Still haven't listened to it though.

Not forgetting 'Film Buffs Forecast'

I have almost every Couldabeens from 1985 on tape.

Crazy! Gotta get that digitised and uploaded somewhere

Triple R is great used to have it on regularly when I worked in a video store on and off over 10 years in the late 90s/early 00s. One of the guys I worked with was frequently on Film Buffs Forecast.

FYI. It looks like I've unearthed many old tapes of Coodabeen shows from RRR days in 1985/86 on cassette tape
I am digitising them as we speak and will upload them.

Just a shout out to anyone on this thread that may have cassette tapes lying around of their shows taped off the radio. I'm happy to digitise them for you, and upload them so anyone can listen to them

FYI. It looks like I've unearthed many old tapes of Coodabeen shows from RRR days in 1985/86 on cassette tape
I am digitising them as we speak and will upload them.

Just a shout out to anyone on this thread that may have cassette tapes lying around of their shows taped off the radio. I'm happy to digitise them for you, and upload them so anyone can listen to them
I have a lot of Punter to Punter tapes somewhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fossie. Happy to take them off your hands and digitise them so we can get them up online for people to listen to.
DM me when suits you.
OK good on ya, see if I can find them. I have a tape off RRR of Eric Gradman doing 'Let's Get Rich Together' which is unreleased and a great song - would be nice to digitise that! I emailed them about it but didnt get a reply.

ROY and HG are on Australian Story at 8pm - they used to be on RRR. I remember them doing a call of a grand final and they were saying all the players on one team were called 'Carl'

RIP Slim Whittle - listened to RRR today and they played a thirty minute segment from the Whittle family circa 1981, then Dr Turf reminiscing about the formation of Punter to Punter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back