Unsolved Rubaiyat - Suspicious deaths, codes & spies

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Where was Jessica Thomson during 1951?

Why the transfer to Singapore from Cario of MI5's former most senior counter intelligence interrogation officer?
Just another coincidence, or was Hemblys Scales on the scent of a trail that lead back to Somerton Beach some years before?

Does anyone still want to believe Ching Peng's version of the event on the road to Fraser's Hill in October 1951 happened by pure chance?
Siew Mah said that he was acting upon information.

So who was the informer?
Maybe her name has just been mentioned?

9770df3656f3eeb80aecf9b4d070ed33.jpg
af89184f2a94ea30531bc052f186e8fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I posted this to Gordon's blog some time ago. I'll post a copy here as I'm thinking of collating a timeline of the different characters to ascertain why they intersect with so many coincidences.

petedavo26 March 2020 at 08:37

Coincidence, marks this case throughout. And they are remarkable coincidences in time and proximity.
I find documents that show that Robert Victor Hemblys Scales worked in Mi5 counter intelligence as an interrogator. You find sodium thiopental. Someone finds the chemist and the building that his shop was in on Jetty Rd Glenelg and I find the original surgery of Dr Milo Sprod and Dr Lica Sprod in the same building. I find Dr Lica Sprod collected a story in Indonesia of an exotic poison used by natives on the back of a wedding invite from her sister, Carmen Delprat to Dutch ambassador, Peter Teppema. I find that their daughter Tania Teppema is engaged to Robert Hemblys Scales 3 weeks after the body of a man is discovered at Somerton Beach. And then I find that Tania Teppema and Robert Victor Hemblys Scales had visited Dr Sprod in October 1948 at Dr Sprod's residence in Unley Park.
I found that Dr Sprod once lived in Moseley St Somerton Park a dozen houses up from where Jessica and Prosper were living on the night that the body is alleged to of died and found the next morning on Somerton Beach. I find a report written by Robert Victor Hemblys Scales about the surveillence of the Russian delegation to ECÀFE and you find the surname of a CIS agent that's mentioned in the report as being the same as the man named Keith Mangnoson who thought that he knew the man whose body was found upon Somerton Beach. His wife reports threatening phone calls. Keith Mangnoson was found unconscious, his child was found deceased. Keith Mangnoson had no explanation and was committed to a mental hospital. I found that Dr Lica Sprod was on the Mental Health Board at one time.
I find that that Keith's father migrated to Australia and that no one else by that surname other than his wife ever migrated to Australia. You find that the second phone number in the Rubyiat found in the Chemist's car, is the phone number of the switchboard in the building in Adelaide which housed a bank, and amongst other offices, the Commonwealth Investigation Service, of which Keith Mangnoson's brother, as quoted in Hemblys Scales report, worked for.
It would certainly appear to be an interesting coincidence that Robert Victor Hemblys Scales's aunty in law, Dr Lica Sprod appears to be connected vicariously to buildings, places, organisations and witnesses involved in the Somerton Man case.

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Mr H Y N Sprod, stockbroker of Adelaide was the brother in law of Dr Lica Sprod.

09 Jan 1935 - OBITUARY. - Glenelg Guardian (SA : 1914 - 1936) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article215216069 via @TroveAustralia

(Apparently it was reported that He invested the assets of Dr Milo Weeks Sprod's estate on behalf of his widow, Dr Lica Sprod. I'll post the article when I find it again)

(Apparently he had an interest in oil and minerals prospecting, with a particular interest in Uranium in later years. Dr Lica Sprod was the daughter of G D Delprat, General Manager of BHP)

Mr H Y N Sprod as chairman of Ora Banda North mining company announces the companies interest in finding and developing uranium deposits.

03 Feb 1954 - Ora Banda North - The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1954) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article47567740 via @TroveAustralia
4ed7778e0d69b6a860912e0acc2e0e26.jpg

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Coincidences.
George Marshall > Dorothy Graham > Hellmuth Hendon (German born Australian Army soldier), Dorothy Graham suicides in his flat) > Wolfgang Wagner (nominated Hellmuth Hendon as his cousin on his application for entry into Australia)

Wolfgang investigated by CIS during WW2 as possible Spy. Collecting shipping movements from his harbour side home. File not yet digitised by NAA

Pictures of Hellmut Hendon from his WW2 War Service record attached. http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/AutoSearch.asp?O=I&Number=6163055

8c08748b4a8d17badd8fb50e7196e9b7.jpg
d4b479860ba5aa1a7dcf361f8a22752e.jpg
Jewish Refugee from Nazi persecution.
Changed his name by deed poll from Heinz Hellmut Honig on 16/11/1937

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Coincidences.
George Marshall > Dorothy Graham > Hellmuth Hendon (German born Australian Army soldier), Dorothy Graham suicides in his flat) > Wolfgang Wagner (nominated Hellmuth Hendon as his cousin on his application for entry into Australia)

Wolfgang investigated by CIS during WW2 as possible Spy. Collecting shipping movements from his harbour side home. File not yet digitised by NAA

Pictures of Hellmut Hendon from his WW2 War Service record attached. http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/AutoSearch.asp?O=I&Number=6163055

We need Wofgang Wagner's file(s) part of a box of a series of an investigation listed in NAA before we can see if there's any direct link between Alf Boxall, Jessie Thomson (then under the name of Harkness), Wolfgang Warner in relation to the suspected collection of shipping movements at Sydney Harbour during the war.
If established that Jessica knew Wolfgang, then it would certainly establish that she was an aquitance of Hellmut Hendon, and thus Dorothy Graham and George Marshall and thus directly to the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, and I might add the possibility of a conversion to the Jewish faith at this time.

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Coincidences.

We need Wofgang Wagner's file(s) part of a box of a series of an investigation listed in NAA before we can see if there's any direct link between Alf Boxall, Jessie Thomson (then under the name of Harkness), Wolfgang Warner in relation to the suspected collection of shipping movements at Sydney Harbour during the war.
If established that Jessica knew Wolfgang, then it would certainly establish that she was an aquitance of Hellmut Hendon, and thus Dorothy Graham and George Marshall and thus directly to the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, and I might add the possibility of a conversion to the Jewish faith at this time.

I've done as much genealogical research as I could on Hellmut Hendon, and Wolfgang Wagner.

I have found nothing to substantiate either man's assertion that they're cousins.

Although I have found a family tree for Hellmut, it does not contain any aunt being married to anyone named Wagner to whom would've given issue to a Wolfgang. Nor have I found and 2nd cousin relationship etc. https://www.geni.com/people/Hellmut-Hendon/6000000141350691896

I have some grave doubts about their claimed identies to be honest. Hellmut changed his name by deed poll, and I won't be surprised if that was an attempt of obfuscation.

So who was Wolfgang Wagner?

Maybe, I'm wrong, but I think there's more than meets the eye going on here.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is where I'll ask a question that will be very unpopular.

Firstly, most VIPs in that era used impersonators or body doubles for security in case of assassination attempts.

Now the question.

Was Sergei Kirov's assassination staged?

Leading on, was his impersonator killed, in a set up to look like Sergei was assassinated to Stalin's connivance to instigate a purge? Or at Sergei's connivance to cover up his own flee from the Stalin Regime and possible defection?

Was the HC Reynolds ID one of his fake IDs to pass checkpoints to fleeing Russia?

Was Sergei Kirov the Somerton Man?

Probably unlikely, as Sergei Mironovich Kostrikov (Kirov) is most likely too old, but I have to ponder the questions, so that once asked, I need to rule him in or out from the suspect list.

Photos》

Who does this remind you of? 》
4f89b7bf3828cf35725e59f36d86cdf1.jpg

source》 Stock Photo - LENINGRAD, USSR. Soviet political leader Sergey Kirov at a regional Communist party conference https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-l...ader-sergey-kirov-at-a-regional-80597705.html

A closer look at his ear》
7f00fbeea70763eb56a9605da32eeea5.jpg
source》Stock Photo - Sergei Kirov https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-sergei-kirov-23248576.html
Other than being too old his ears and nose are different!

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Why the transfer to Singapore from Cario of MI5's former most senior counter intelligence interrogation officer?
Just another coincidence, or was Hemblys Scales on the scent of a trail that lead back to Somerton Beach some years before?

Does anyone still want to believe Ching Peng's version of the event on the road to Fraser's Hill in October 1951 happened by pure chance?

So who was the informer?

Maybe Clarence Hart Campbell was the reason for the Singapore trip?

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

So who was the informer?

Clarence Hart Campbell went up to Singapore in 45 I think. He had been organising an air freight company around a few Catalinas, a couple from Lake Boga I hear :) He was part owner of Marx House along with Ralph Joseph Gottleibesen, they bought that in 1944. Wasn't Sharkey up that way at the time? Some mention of his being there 'unofficially'.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

BEN kept some interesting company>

Here's a picture of BEN's comrade.View attachment 15sep_counter-intelligence_organs.pdf
f2485b3d044fa09c23dbbf94d84d7715.jpg

Alfred Hughes (born in 1900 in Sydney) was a worker in his younger years, then studied in a technical college. Later for four years he studied medicine, but in 1924 because of financial problems in the family he joined the police force. In 1932 he joined the CPA and remained its member for 40 years. In 1940 Hughes was transferred to the Military Police. In 1942, after formation of Security Bureau (SB), the Military Police was disbanded, and he joined the SB. Here he became the chief of the counter espionage group involved in surveillance over subversive activities and the Communist Party affairs. According to colleagues, he was a real expert in his business. In 1945 he returned to the New South Wales police where he worked for the next fifteen years. In the beginning of 1945 Clayton recruited Hughes. Due to this Clayton got his hands on copies of the SB files with the data on the Soviet diplomats and TASS correspondents, the data on the structure of the Australian security service, the information of operation value. By the way, Hughes never named his agents in the CPA to his colleagues in SB, or, later, to the inspectors from ASIO.

Alfred Thompson Hughes
Much in his activities remains a riddle, as in materials of the Venona operation there is very little about a character of the information handed by him to Clayton in 1943-45. He was repeatedly interrogated in ASIO in 1949-52 and 1957, but during all interrogations he categorically denied acquaintance and contacts with Clayton, let alone the facts of transfer of information to the latter. Hughes was a skilled, first class policeman, it was uneasy to interrogate him as, as he being on a certain position, perfectly knew the contents of all police files on the CPA and its members. It was impossible to incriminate him anything, as ASIO, being a descendant of the Security Service, was not interested at all in a public condemnation of subversive activities of a person which in theory should have prevented that activity. Hughes served in police till 1960 and retired in a rank of detective-sergeant of 1st class. He died in 1978.

Last edited:

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

BEN kept some interesting company>

Here's a picture of BEN's comrade.View attachment 914295
f2485b3d044fa09c23dbbf94d84d7715.jpg

Alfred Hughes (born in 1900 in Sydney) was a worker in his younger years, then studied in a technical college. Later for four years he studied medicine, but in 1924 because of financial problems in the family he joined the police force. In 1932 he joined the CPA and remained its member for 40 years. In 1940 Hughes was transferred to the Military Police. In 1942, after formation of Security Bureau (SB), the Military Police was disbanded, and he joined the SB. Here he became the chief of the counter espionage group involved in surveillance over subversive activities and the Communist Party affairs. According to colleagues, he was a real expert in his business. In 1945 he returned to the New South Wales police where he worked for the next fifteen years. In the beginning of 1945 Clayton recruited Hughes. Due to this Clayton got his hands on copies of the SB files with the data on the Soviet diplomats and TASS correspondents, the data on the structure of the Australian security service, the information of operation value. By the way, Hughes never named his agents in the CPA to his colleagues in SB, or, later, to the inspectors from ASIO.

Alfred Thompson Hughes
Much in his activities remains a riddle, as in materials of the Venona operation there is very little about a character of the information handed by him to Clayton in 1943-45. He was repeatedly interrogated in ASIO in 1949-52 and 1957, but during all interrogations he categorically denied acquaintance and contacts with Clayton, let alone the facts of transfer of information to the latter. Hughes was a skilled, first class policeman, it was uneasy to interrogate him as, as he being on a certain position, perfectly knew the contents of all police files on the CPA and its members. It was impossible to incriminate him anything, as ASIO, being a descendant of the Security Service, was not interested at all in a public condemnation of subversive activities of a person which in theory should have prevented that activity. Hughes served in police till 1960 and retired in a rank of detective-sergeant of 1st class. He died in 1978.

A good summation. I suspect we may find more on Ben in Wally's files plus other CPA members who were close to the top. I believe that somewhere there will be a link to Alf and/or Jestyn.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Coincidences.

I have information on Wolfgang, will dig it out later this week. Effectively a neighbour dobbed him in, his home overlooked Garden Island and he was often to be seen with a telescope and notepad. There were some other interesting occupants on that street if my memory is correct.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Check the people listed in NAA as "ORONSAY arriving in Sydney on 23 May 1939" besides The Wagner family.
Some familiar names pop up from the Somerton Man geni.com project.
I would guess that there s family groups, cousins, aunts etc. 3 surnames stand out that appear in Thomas Ambrose Keane's wife's ancestry so far. Mcdonald, Braumann and Kauffman.
Found something that explains those names on https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/r...he-jews-of-magdeburg-under-nazi-rule-michael-

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I was looking for the link between Pile and Harkness after seeing that a person by the name of Harkness made enquiries about their uncle's medals in Horace Pile's war service file on NAA, and instead I found what looks to be Pile family connections to Thomas Ambrose Keane and now Wolfgang Wagner who we already know has a cousin, Hellmut Hendon whose flat Dorothy Graham topped herself in, and we thus know from what Dorothy said to the coroner, that George Marshall obviously knew Hellmut. Which all suggests that as a circle of acquaintances that Pile, Keane, Wagner, Hendon, Graham and Marshall potentially all knew each other. Throw in Harkness and there becomes the potential for explaining a number of things that involve the book, the espionage, the code, the communists, and Jessica's apparent Jewish and Russian anomalies in the Somerton mystery. This rabbit Warren might take a bit of time to confirm but I'm hoping to jag Mr Somerton Man amongst all these people's connections. So far I can only confirm who he is not. You're more than welcome to follow these paths and add more to the project as there is a lot to add, especially with sources records and photos if possible. The hot tip at the moment is there appears to be a slight resemblance to Somerton Man's features in one member of the Braumann family who was born in Estonia and settled in Bendigo during the gold rush. The father of 1 of Thomas Keane's wife's great grand mother's. So the next group to add is all her siblings, cousins etc, anyone living nearby who might've got a suitcase of hand me downs from her.

Last edited:

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was looking for the link between Pile and Harkness after seeing that a person by the name of Harkness made enquiries about their uncle's medals in Horace Pile's war service file on NAA, and instead I found what looks to be Pile family connections to Thomas Ambrose Keane and now Wolfgang Wagner who we already know has a cousin, Hellmut Hendon whose flat Dorothy Graham topped herself in, and we thus know from what Dorothy said to the coroner, that George Marshall obviously knew Hellmut. Which all suggests that as a circle of acquaintances that Pile, Keane, Wagner, Hendon, Graham and Marshall potentially all knew each other. Throw in Harkness and there becomes the potential for explaining a number of things that involve the book, the espionage, the code, the communists, and Jessica's apparent Jewish and Russian anomalies in the Somerton mystery. This rabbit Warren might take a bit of time to confirm but I'm hoping to jag Mr Somerton Man amongst all these people's connections. So far I can only confirm who he is not. You're more than welcome to follow these paths and add more to the project as there is a lot to add, especially with sources records and photos if possible. The hot tip at the moment is there appears to be a slight resemblance to Somerton Man's features in one member of the Braumann family who was born in Estonia and settled in Bendigo during the gold rush. The father of 1 of Thomas Keane's wife's great grand mother's. So the next group to add is all her siblings, cousins etc, anyone living nearby who might've got a suitcase of hand me downs from her.

Careful you don't disappear down the rabbit hole. It's 70 years and these people didn't want things found out, so teasing out the details may not be possible.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Careful you don't disappear down the rabbit hole. It's 70 years and these people didn't want things found out, so teasing out the details may not be possible.
The only thing that I worried about using a genealogical search given that most believe that Robin inherited Somerton Man's ears and teeth is that I'd find some weird colt family like goings on, where Somerton Man was not only Robin's father, but also his Uncle, and Cousin all at the same time ;)

I ruled out all close relatives and in laws of Jessica, either with pictures or dates of death, or both as in one person who was nominated in a blog years ago, whose picture looks nothing like Somerton Man, and was well and truly alive for years after 1948.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Podem's daughter and Thomas Ambrose Keane both members of the EYL. Both became members of the CPA.

Dancing, Fitness & Theatre.
All whilst organising a proletariat revolution.

One could think that the EYL must've had some interesting characters as "instructors" as well as members.

View attachment a000539.pdf

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh, what goodies do we have in store for us via ABCTV on 11/8/2020?

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
The only thing that I worried about using a genealogical search given that most believe that Robin inherited Somerton Man's ears and teeth is that I'd find some weird colt family like goings on, where Somerton Man was not only Robin's father, but also his Uncle, and Cousin all at the same time ;)

I ruled out all close relatives and in laws of Jessica, either with pictures or dates of death, or both as in one person who was nominated in a blog years ago, whose picture looks nothing like Somerton Man, and was well and truly alive for years after 1948.

Anyone descended from Horace Pile's grandma will be carrying some DNA picked up from her ancestors in the North East states of the USA, and probably some earlier Scandinavian DNA. So if anyone knows they're descended from her and want to compare themselves to that hair sample from the plaster cast of Somerton Man, let us know how you go. But I haven't found any missing persons circa 1948 in your tree yet.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Isn't it strange, how things get left out of autopsy reports?

Extract》

But in the final draft of the report submitted to the Central Committee, Brent and Naumov note: “All mention of the stomach hemorrhage was deleted or vastly subordinated to other information throughout in the final report.”[ 3 ]
It was reported that Stalin only drank diluted Georgian wine the night before his illness of March 1. Brent and Naumov suspect in one scenario that Beria with the complicity of Khrushchev (whose memoirs, Khrushchev Remembers, relating to the events of Stalin's final days have been found to be unreliable),[ 5 6 8 ] slipped warfarin, a transparent crystalline substance into the wine. Warfarin is a tasteless chemical that in 1950 had just become patented and available in Russia as a blood thinner for patients with cardiovascular disease, and later, widely used as rat poison. A hypertensive hemorrhage of itself would have caused a stroke as Stalin sustained, but it would not necessarily be associated with gastrointestinal or renal hemorrhaging. Warfarin, on the other hand, could have produced both a hemorrhagic stroke and a bleeding disorder affecting multiple organs. The autopsy findings would be critical and, fortunately, just recently they have become available.

Last edited:
Back