Unsolved Rubaiyat - Suspicious deaths, codes & spies

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I suppose if you used these stairs everyday to travel to and from work, you'd develop some pretty good calf muscles.

And following will be a duck dive into trying to expose Jessica Thomson, Alf Boxall, their links to Wolfgang Wagner and how this all might tie into the discovery of a deceased male on Somerton Beach in 1948....

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Background material to show how we learnt from decrypted WW2 Japanese messages that a Soviet spy network in Australia was passing information to the Soviets in Harbin which in turn passed it to the Japanese in Harbin. Prior to Project Venona

Part 1.
Breaking the Japanese codes.

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f5459e428460/book.pdf

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Part 4.
An example of people who don't seem to be what they appear to be.

Vladimir Ležák Borin was a post-war enigma, a Czech migrant to Australia who was much more than he seemed. Arriving at the tail end of the post-war Displaced Persons (DP) Scheme, through which more than 170,000 Central and Eastern Europeans arrived in Australia as International Refugees

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Walter Ashton
aef553cafbf041ba0b42d27a5b8c6271.jpg
ee70975578e0a2115cc7d139ecba5998.jpg
1cce0a5933a1fa41c679e17ba9ec90fd.jpg
7cddf7bf05ca8cc51ed323a2abbb088f.jpg

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
FamilySearch.Com has a Walter Ashton timeline ending in 1948.
Geni.com has a Albert Walter Ashton being issued a burial notice in NZ 1968.
However the Geni.com family tree swaps his forenames around. It maybe that they've conflated two different people by choosing the same birth year on both records and hence put him in the wrong family group, or as sometimes happens a person is declared legally dead after being missing for twenty years.
Only way to know is to get the 1968 burial notice from NZ for Albert Walter Ashton and see if it's the same man or see in what circumstances it was issued.
Couldn't find a death certificate in NZ so far, so I'm wondering if whoever's body it was shipped from overseas.
But so far, nothing to confirm it was him.

The FamilySearch.Com entry lists his wife and kids. The Geni.com entry does not, but lists the same siblings.

Presumably the FamilySearch.Com family tree was created by his immediate descendants and the Geni.com family tree by one of his siblings descendants. The FamilySearch.Com tree appears to be more reliable. There s no sources listed except what I added yesterday, which was to link both together

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
However the Geni.com family tree swaps his forenames around. It maybe that they've conflated two different people by choosing the same birth year on both records and hence put him in the wrong family group, or as sometimes happens a person is declared legally dead after being missing for twenty years.
Only way to know is to get the 1968 burial notice from NZ for Albert Walter Ashton and see if it's the same man or see in what circumstances it was issued.
Couldn't find a death certificate in NZ so far, so I'm wondering if whoever's body it was shipped from overseas.

The FamilySearch.Com entry lists his wife and kids. The Geni.com entry does not, but lists the same siblings.

Presumably the FamilySearch.Com family tree was created by his immediate descendants and the Geni.com family tree by one of his siblings descendants. The FamilySearch.Com tree appears to be more reliable. There s no sources listed except what I added yesterday, which was to link both together

Apparently the below is quoted upon a NZ blogger site....
1941-48 – Wally Ashton was a Communist candidate for the Auckland hospital board in 1941. A candidate for parliament, Auckland central in 1943. Sec of the Auckland trades council in 1943. 1943 sheepskins for Russia. April 1948 Ashton's body was never found. His abandoned car was found at Piha beach Auckland. He disappeared and went missing. (Spies and revolutionaries. Graeme John Hunt (c)2007 NZ).

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Apparently the below is quoted upon a NZ blogger site....
1941-48 – Wally Ashton was a Communist candidate for the Auckland hospital board in 1941. A candidate for parliament, Auckland central in 1943. Sec of the Auckland trades council in 1943. 1943 sheepskins for Russia. April 1948 Ashton's body was never found. His abandoned car was found at Piha beach Auckland. He disappeared and went missing. (Spies and revolutionaries. Graeme John Hunt (c)2007 NZ).

Only record in New Zealand archives is his divorce from Phyllis Irene Caroline Tisch

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

Albert Walter Ashton is a different person.
NZ BDM has him being married to a Mavis Sainsbury in 1933

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
In case you're wondering. The point of genealogical searching is to look for photographs of people that might be either Somerton Man or related to people who might be nominated as Somerton Man to look for the presence or absence of the peculiar physical characteristics that Somerton Man pocesses as these might be genetically passed down.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
In case you're wondering. The point of genealogical searching is to look for photographs of people that might be either Somerton Man or related to people who might be nominated as Somerton Man to look for the presence or absence of the peculiar physical characteristics that Somerton Man pocesses as these might be genetically passed down.

No pictures of Walter Ashton yet, but here's someone who might be related to him. Maybe a grandfather or a grand uncle. Not sure yet, but the photo is interesting.
ac3ac695d66f6200eed52e0695bfa282.jpg

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Albert Walter Ashton is a different person. NZ BDM has him being married to a Mavis Sainsbury in 1933 Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
No pictures of Walter Ashton yet, but here's someone who might be related to him. Maybe a grandfather or a grand uncle. Not sure yet, but the photo is interesting.

Managed to get to the Gazette, some records are digitised so will chase that down.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

May be able to get something from Old Police records, a euphemism for Special Branch. I have lodged a request and will copy you in.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is supposed to be Walter Ashton. b.26May1907. d.23Apr1948 from Ancestry.
View attachment 967283
This is supposed to be Walter Ashton. b.26May1907. d.23Apr1948 from Ancestry.
View attachment 967283
Great photo. Teeth may be a bit good for our man in SA but I guess it depends when this pic was taken. Does this guy look to be about mid 30s?

There are some issues about the Police photographs and will publish later this week, so I wouldn't be writing this man off just yet. Thanks for finding this, it's much appreciated.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
It would be good to know who the sailors were that reportedly smuggled him out of NZ. They would certainly be playing with fire if their identities were known by anyone protecting Ashton. Assuming Ashton did do a bunk with the loot, and wasn't bumped off by someone else to get the loot and leave the missing Ashton to wear the blame.

Last edited:

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It would be good to know who the sailors were that reportedly smuggled him out of NZ. They would certainly be playing with fire if their identities were known by anyone protecting Ashton. Assuming Ashton did do a bunk with the loot, and wasn't bumped off by someone else to get the loot.

Not out of the question that he did the bumping off?

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure if you will see this clearly but Ive found a mention of him in a NZ Police Gazette which lists his height as 5'7.5". Also says he has a scar on his abdomen and another small scar on his nose. Brown hair, blue eyes, fresh complexion. View attachment 967979
Not out of the question that he did the bumping off?
Any number of scenarios are possible. I wonder if there are credible reports of him being sighted alive after his car was found, besides rumours?
The amount that Ashton allegedly went on the lam with, in hindsight, was peanuts compared to how much his bitter arch foe, Thomas Frederick Anderson, admitted to embezzling from the union on his death bed.
One wonders, the true extent of the events surrounding the Ashton disappearance.

Last edited:
Back