Unsolved Rubaiyat - Suspicious deaths, codes & spies

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain Spurgeon RAN, Military Attache to Washington pictured with other foreign observers to first nuclear weapons tests at Bikini Atoll in 1946

5f2b72e5dad83351e1655a34dcda2c47.jpg

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Professor M L E Oliphant also went to the first nuclear weapons tests at Bikini Atoll as a scientific observer

E W McAlpine went along as the reporter for Australian media

5647df050a7221797debbc0f7d3dd3fb.jpg

Side note on defectors:

"So as hard as it was for some KGB officers to stomach, they had to give the traitor a medal instead of shooting him. “Either Yurchenko is as smart as the devil himself,” one KGB officer concluded, “or he is the luckiest bastard alive.”"

"The Russians were candid. Yurchenko, they said, was living in Moscow. He worked as a security officer at a Moscow bank. And one day, they said, if there was any justice, his body would be found “somewhere along the Moscow River.” Sooner or later, Vitaly Yurchenko was going to pay."

Last edited:
A Final Rendezvous revisited

A friend of Mr Skirpov eh? No wonder ASIO had 3 files on Oliphant. This one's interesting, in as much as it's in the very timeframe that Skirpov received the burst transmitter from Moscow and passed it to "Sylvia" for delivery to Adelaide. similar timeframe when Oliphant was due to host visiting Russian scientists. This maybe the same flight that bought the burst transmitter to Australia.
A lot of redacted stuff and non disclosed pages in Oliphant's files btw

FamilySearch.Com has a Walter Ashton timeline ending in 1948.
Geni.com has a Albert Walter Ashton being issued a burial notice in NZ 1968.
However the Geni.com family tree swaps his forenames around. It maybe that they've conflated two different people by choosing the same birth year on both records and hence put him in the wrong family group, or as sometimes happens a person is declared legally dead after being missing for twenty years.
Only way to know is to get the 1968 burial notice from NZ for Albert Walter Ashton and see if it's the same man or see in what circumstances it was issued.
Couldn't find a death certificate in NZ so far, so I'm wondering if whoever's body it was shipped from overseas.
But so far, nothing to confirm it was him.

The FamilySearch.Com entry lists his wife and kids. The Geni.com entry does not, but lists the same siblings.

Presumably the FamilySearch.Com family tree was created by his immediate descendants and the Geni.com family tree by one of his siblings descendants. The FamilySearch.Com tree appears to be more reliable. There s no sources listed except what I added yesterday, which was to link both together

Aged 60 ie 1908

A Final Rendezvous revisited

A friend of Mr Skirpov eh? No wonder ASIO had 3 files on Oliphant. This one's interesting, in as much as it's in the very timeframe that Skirpov received the burst transmitter from Moscow and passed it to "Sylvia" for delivery to Adelaide. similar timeframe when Oliphant was due to host visiting Russian scientists. This maybe the same flight that bought the burst transmitter to Australia.
A lot of redacted stuff and non disclosed pages in Oliphant's files btw

Worth following up on ArthurEmmons 111rd, US Embassy and close association with Asio, Max Phillips? He was the Director in Canberra. ASIO were certainly aware of Oliphant and of one other.

LA-13638, "A Review of Criticality Accidents" 003731912 - NRCView attachment ML003731912.pdf

Extract:
The Philadelphia Incident

On September 2, 1944, three men entered the transfer room of the liquid thermal diffusion semi-works at the Philadelphia Navy Yard to repair a clogged tube. The tube they were working on consisted of two concentric pipes with liquid uranium hexafluoride circulating in the space between them and the innermost pipe contained high-pressure steam.
These men, all from different backgrounds and each representing a different facet of the complex Manhattan Engineer District, had one thing in common: they had all volunteered to work in a dangerous environment on a process that had only recently moved from the laboratory experimental stage to a pilot plant operation. Peter N. Bragg Jr., a chemical engineer from Arkansas, was hired in June by the Navy Research Lab; Douglas P. Meigs was an employee of the H. K. Ferguson Company of Cleveland, OH, the prime contractor for the thermal diffusion project; and Arnold Kramish, a physicist by education and a member of the Special Engineer Detachment (SED), was on loan from Oak Ridge, TN.
Kneeling on the floor with a Bunsen burner, Bragg and Meigs worked to free the clogged tube. Without warning, at 1:20 PM, there was a terrific explosion. As the tube shattered, the liquid uranium hexafluoride combined with the escaping steam and showered the two engineers with hydrofluoric acid, one of the most corrosive agents known. Within minutes, both Bragg and Meigs, with third degree burns all over their bodies, were dead and Kramish, also burned, was near death.
As the explosion ripped through the transfer room of the Naval Research Laboratory's thermal diffusion experimental pilot-plant, the battleship U.S.S. Wisconsin sat berthed not more than two hundred yards away. Just back from its "shakedown" cruise, the sailors on board were never made aware that they had been exposed to a cloud of uranium hexafluoride, nor were the firemen and others who responded to the scene. Although not highly radioactive, the uranium hexafluoride was nevertheless toxic.
Due to the extreme secrecy surrounding the Manhattan Project and specifically this experimental facility at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, General Leslie Groves immediately drew a veil over the incident. A press release was entitled only "Explosion at Navy Yard." Even the Philadelphia coroner was not made aware of the actual causes of death. It was not until many years later that the facts of the incident emerged.

Last edited:
LA-13638, "A Review of Criticality Accidents" 003731912 - NRCView attachment 980181

Extract:
The Philadelphia Incident

On September 2, 1944, three men entered the transfer room of the liquid thermal diffusion semi-works at the Philadelphia Navy Yard to repair a clogged tube. The tube they were working on consisted of two concentric pipes with liquid uranium hexafluoride circulating in the space between them and the innermost pipe contained high-pressure steam.
These men, all from different backgrounds and each representing a different facet of the complex Manhattan Engineer District, had one thing in common: they had all volunteered to work in a dangerous environment on a process that had only recently moved from the laboratory experimental stage to a pilot plant operation. Peter N. Bragg Jr., a chemical engineer from Arkansas, was hired in June by the Navy Research Lab; Douglas P. Meigs was an employee of the H. K. Ferguson Company of Cleveland, OH, the prime contractor for the thermal diffusion project; and Arnold Kramish, a physicist by education and a member of the Special Engineer Detachment (SED), was on loan from Oak Ridge, TN.
Kneeling on the floor with a Bunsen burner, Bragg and Meigs worked to free the clogged tube. Without warning, at 1:20 PM, there was a terrific explosion. As the tube shattered, the liquid uranium hexafluoride combined with the escaping steam and showered the two engineers with hydrofluoric acid, one of the most corrosive agents known. Within minutes, both Bragg and Meigs, with third degree burns all over their bodies, were dead and Kramish, also burned, was near death.
As the explosion ripped through the transfer room of the Naval Research Laboratory's thermal diffusion experimental pilot-plant, the battleship U.S.S. Wisconsin sat berthed not more than two hundred yards away. Just back from its "shakedown" cruise, the sailors on board were never made aware that they had been exposed to a cloud of uranium hexafluoride, nor were the firemen and others who responded to the scene. Although not highly radioactive, the uranium hexafluoride was nevertheless toxic.
Due to the extreme secrecy surrounding the Manhattan Project and specifically this experimental facility at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, General Leslie Groves immediately drew a veil over the incident. A press release was entitled only "Explosion at Navy Yard." Even the Philadelphia coroner was not made aware of the actual causes of death. It was not until many years later that the facts of the incident emerged.

There is much more to be told about the Philadelphia story and the push for the Hiroshima bomb. It will not be "rank revisionism" but rather the final lifting of the curtain of secrecy. Arnold Kramish, who worked on the Manhattan Project and for the Atomic Energy Commission, is writing a book about the Philadelphia experience discussed in this article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"I left out one very important thing. When we were preparing these cores [in Los Alamos], Louis Slotin was in charge of the critical assemblage and had to verify that these cores were safe to be put into a high explosive assembly, with the mockup assembly obviously with high explosives. You don’t mix the two in populated areas. And that afternoon we had to check some initiators, which were in the same laboratory where he was doing his experiment and demonstration, and had this famous accidents.
Rhodes: Could you characterize what he was doing, I’ve heard talk about a screwdriver?
Schreiber: He had essentially a spare core, which was some six plus kilograms of plutonium and which was 95% critical, and a normal uranium reflector, and beryllium reflector hemispheres – I don’t know the total thickness, probably yay so. It is super critical, because of the better reflective properties.
What he did was, he had a table like this with a stand, and put the bottom hemispheres on the table, put the core in, and then lowered the top half down using a screwdriver to lower the thing. Then he had a wooden wedge. I wasn’t over there; I was busy doing some other work within the same laboratory. And the thing slipped and it was super critical. He immediately flipped the top off.
Rhodes: The top being beryllium.
Schreiber: Went clattering on the floor. Everything went off scale, there was a blue flash, etc. He knew he had had it at that time. He kept his head. We all dashed out of the room and I went back around the corner with a meter and that went off scale, so I decided I better not go back in. I guess he called the hospital and told them to send the ambulance out. He and Al Graves were in there.
I was far enough away and Ted Pearlman, who worked with me, had come down in the jeep. So we went back and I stopped off to my apartment and told my wife that I was going to have to go and be checked into the hospital, but I was all right. Well, I was thirty feet away. So my silver coins, they were being measured to see how much radioactivity they had gotten, and it turned out that I wound up with 25R or something like that. They kept me out, took blood samples and stuff for a day or so. But anyhow, it didn’t bother my health, so I went on with going overseas.
Rhodes: Harry Daghlian had already—
Schreiber: That was another thing; this happened while I was still on Tinian.
Rhodes: Oh right, yeah."

Last edited:
lessons in the russian ballet during second world war

Picture taken of White Russian ballet school class in the rubble of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki apparently according to whoever posted it upon Pinterest

Raises some questions obviously. Who's instructing them for one, and how many White Russians were actually living in Nagasaki during WW2, seems more than is commonly thought?

But i have doubts if this is from Nagasaki nor in amongst any rubble. The background suggests it was taken elsewhere. IMO the assertion seems false.
a4097d2914847eec0224c72c25ececa1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back