View attachment 1016144

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Notice anything interesting about Stuart Seborer's 1939 photograph?

Source》
"Fourth Spy Unearthed in U.S. Atomic Bomb Project" article published 24/11/2019 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/23/science/manhattan-project-atomic-spy.html?smid=tw-shareView attachment 990631

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
View attachment 990678
Stuart Seborer {Venona code name GODFATHER}

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Some more background to the Seborer spy ring {Venona code name ENORMOUS}

Stuart Seborer {Venona code name GODFATHER}

Max Seborer {Venona code name RELATIVE}

dfea3f175df62a84c74de7d6b97f928f.jpg

Oscar Seborer {Venona code name GODSEND}

137a762f9458e51565a8806966a46af2.jpg

The Seborers are all very interesting, but what ties to they have to the Somerton Man case you ask.

Well, let's look at a few things that we do know. Members of this family did work and live at Los Alamos, but previously they spent years in Palestine and England before that after leaving what's now Poland. They spoke Russian, were Jewish and some were into music and dance. Do we have proof that Jessica ever crossed paths in her formative years? Not yet, but let's delve a bit more. What do I see in the pictures of each of the Seborer brothers, that we have found pictures of.... appears to be the same ears and a hint of the same dental deformities, shared by the Somerton Man. OK so we have a family of ethnic Russian Jews living in the USA at the time of the Somerton Man arrival in Adelaide all potentially exposed to higher than average levels of radionucle, same as Somerton Man's hair, involved in espionage and passing coded messages from within the US Atomic weapons facilities, with a history of teaching Russian and maybe performing arts, a nest of communists, and with members in the US Military regularly on deployments in Japan, Asia and elsewhere. Although each of these specific members in this thread are not Somerton Man, there are other siblings, cousins and indeed a large number of relatives who could be. Next step is to find more photos and find which lines carried those weird ears.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
We were only discussing Soviet submarines in South Australian waters the other day, and viola, it jogs someone's memory!
First hand account follows.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
The only thing that I worried about using a genealogical search given that most believe that Robin inherited Somerton Man's ears and teeth is that I'd find some weird colt family like goings on, where Somerton Man was not only Robin's father, but also his Uncle, and Cousin all at the same time ;)

I ruled out all close relatives and in laws of Jessica, either with pictures or dates of death, or both as in one person who was nominated in a blog years ago, whose picture looks nothing like Somerton Man, and was well and truly alive for years after 1948.

Finally found it. In a war service record for a Jessie Pile, and a marriage record on Victoria's BDM website.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Careful you don't disappear down the rabbit hole. It's 70 years and these people didn't want things found out, so teasing out the details may not be possible.
It would appear that Jessie Pile's birth record in Victoria's BDM website had been expunged, but they missed her marriage record under Ronald Vincent Harkness. Although her war service record has not yet been digitised, the description of it exists and clearly shows next of kin as her father Alan Pile and her date and place of birth being Colac. So this confirms the provenance of the letter enquiring about Horace Pile's medals being from a neice or nephew, by the surname of Harkness, as asserted by the Victorian RSL.

PILE JESSIE : Service Number - VF509202 : Date of birth - 13 Feb 1925 : Place of birth - COLAC VIC : Place of enlistment - MELBOURNE VIC : Next of Kin - PILE ALAN

I haven't found any link between Horace Pile's sister's marriage and our nurse Jessica as yet, so don't get too excited. But for the curious, this is how far I've got atm to find one. Use tree view, if available to you.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I think that I've finally made some headway with nailing down Robert Victor Hemblys Scales ancestry

It would appear that his father lived in Wollongong. I wonder if his parents divorced? If his father shot through? Newspaper articles suggests that his mom was widowed. But his father appears to be live until 1983.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
doctored/stretched photo? No human has a neck that long!!
Most likely a squished photo to fit it into the publication that it came from. Although I cropped it for posting, it's still a raw copy. There s not enough detail though to make any comparisons to SM or RT for familiar likeness in regards to Oscar Seborer. It would've been nice to see if the suspected anomalies seen in the image of Stuart Seborer was evident in pictures of his siblings to determine if it's inherited though and whether we should peruse a genealogical link to SM. But so far there's no relatives that had gone missing in the 1940's.

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
An observation. It's a bit weird how a few of these family trees I'd looked at land during the 19th century in a Barracks Town for the Duke of Wellington's Regiment called Halifax in the West Riding area of England. Probably an irrelevant coincidence but a fascinating fact nonetheless.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Still looking for the cause of Somerton Man's enlarged spleen.
Another instance of chemical warfare experiments in Australia exposed.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
From Files of the Institute of National Remembrance and stamps of Solidarity

A person known as Stanislaw Kilianski (father's name is Francis) is number 625 on the list of SB Agents for the People's Republic of Poland.
Is this our Stanislaw Kilanski?
It appears to be.

We might have got our cold war spy who was to meet Kay Marshall. What other documents have been liberated from the former SB archives will we find? Why was he in Adelaide?
4391b3469f840e567a6ea03f2f761cf5.jpg
6476701bdc0e78ce2f4d95ab48d3b63a.jpg

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Further information about Tibor Kaldor is coming to hand.
At this point all indications are that the Tibor Kaldor who fled to London in 1934 and was subsequently sent to Australia to be interred as an enemy alien was in fact an imposter, possibly an illegal (Nazi spy) who was using the real Tibor Kaldor's identity.
The real Kaldor family appears to have been deported from Austria.
Tibor deported to a concentration camp early on and his mother deported to Lodz Ghetto in Poland later on.
They appeared to of not survived the holocaust.
Working through it all now.
The Tibor Kaldor who died in Adelaide - real identity is now uncertain.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Further information about Tibor Kaldor is coming to hand.
At this point all indications are that the Tibor Kaldor who fled to London in 1934 and was subsequently sent to Australia to be interred as an enemy alien was in fact an imposter, possibly an illegal (Nazi spy) who was using the real Tibor Kaldor's identity.
The real Kaldor family appears to have been deported from Austria.
Tibor deported to a concentration camp early on and his mother deported to Lodz Ghetto in Poland later on.
They appeared to of not survived the holocaust.
Working through it all now.
The Tibor Kaldor who died in Adelaide - real identity is now uncertain.

That's a good piece of work there Pete. The Tibor we were working on apparently came to London via Switzerland, Italy, and France. But, that was the story that this particular Tibor related to the British authorities when he entered the UK. That story may or may not be correct. To my recollection, he had no documents though there is a mention somewhere in the files of a passport. He had advertised his services in Melbourne as being a qualified German language teacher with PhD from Vienna, which turned out to also be incorrect. There was a Tibor Kaldor at Uni but that was Gratz and not Biebba, Vienna sounds more impressive perhaps.
I can see why you would think he may have been a Nazi spy but my cynical eye suggests that you also consider the likelihood, given his now exposed track record, that he could also have been in the employ of MI6. They would have had an interest in infiltrating the internment camps and what better way of using an illegal than this?

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mr. Pile scored a mention in the CPA Glenelg branch ASIO records, him plus about a dozen others.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Mi5 B branch

Robert Victor Hemblys Scales was working in B2 - Counter Espionage prior to coming to Australia. His name is in each of the above links. The take away from these pages and other such stories is If you needed an interrogation done, without anyone knowing about it, then he was your man.

Last edited:
Back