Ruck strategy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
It would only be as a back-up if the unthinkable happened and either/both Sinclair and Cameron went down.

But if he is going to be the insurance policy the decision would need to be made in the next 2 to 3 weeks to give him time to build that fitness base which would need to be 8 to 10 weeks.

Even if it was to play him forward for the last 8 weeks of the year if Reid had to ruck.
With Reid’s Achilles and calf history? No thanks!

8 to 10 games from Tippett as a back-up plan from round 10 is a very viable option.

He has had a reasonable rest off the ankles, give him 3 months to build the fitness base and realistically who wouldn't want to give it one last shot at a premiership playing only the last 1/3 of the season.

I think it's a real possibility that he pulls on the boots, at least as a back-up plan.

Might have some legs. Why would Tom Harley even make an off the cuff comment if they weren't (or haven't already) going to have a chat. They have no choice but to give their current options a go and they may do the job but what's wrong with getting Tippett fit now for as you say a back up plan. Will Sinclair last a season with what looked to be a decent (in pain) ankle injury. I think the Swans can cover a handful of games with part time rucks but not a whole season.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Might have some legs. Why would Tom Harley even make an off the cuff comment if they weren't (or haven't already) going to have a chat. They have no choice but to give their current options a go and they may do the job but what's wrong with getting Tippett fit now for as you say a back up plan. Will Sinclair last a season with what looked to be a decent (in pain) ankle injury. I think the Swans can cover a handful of games with part time rucks but not a whole season.
Adam Goodes and Graeme Teasedale went alright as rucks!

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
To me it smells more like a media-led story than anything else.

I'd rather see them play Cameron and get games into him.

images.jpeg

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
I don't understand how Sinclair is our number 1 ruck. You've seen him ruck, yeah? I don't have his hitout stats handy, but from what I can remember they were unflattering to say the least.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd actually prefer Reid in the ruck than either Sinclair or Aliir. I think we're better structurally with Sinclair in the forward line and Aliir as an attacking defender. Naismith out certainly hurts our depth though.
He's not a great tap ruckman and he's a bit undersized around the ground, but he gives a good honest contest, more than you can say about Reid.

Aliir is another option but I suspect he'll end up being just as flaky as Reid, and he'll regularly give away 15kg+ and 6cm+.

For me Darcy Cameron will be taking the centre hit outs from Round 1. He's a bigger body but lacks a bit of athleticism, and I'd rather see Sinclair leading out of full forward than Cameron.

Cameron is like a ships anchor, Sinclair has a fair turn of pace on him. He destroyed Essendon and St Kilda leading out of the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
It messed with Goodesy's knees in a serious way. Both he and the club later regretted playing him in the ruck.
I am pretty sure everyone is comfortable taking that chance with Towers. And anyway, he seems to thrive in there. However, I don't want to see Reid or AA in there. Both are going to be critical in their key positions.

Btw - is Pink a backup option?

Unless they are Max Gawn, I do not place great value on ruckmen, provided they make a contest in the air and use their bodies on the ground. We'll end up using Towers and/or Allir to support Sinkers. Hopefully we rarely play both Sinkers and the Decameron in the same city on the same day, let alone the same game.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Unless they are Max Gawn, I do not place great value on ruckmen, provided they make a contest in the air and use their bodies on the ground. We'll end up using Towers and/or Allir to support Sinkers. Hopefully we rarely play both Sinkers and the Decameron in the same city on the same day, let alone the same game.
AA has proven to be very susceptible to injury. The last place we want him is in the ruck.

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I am pretty sure everyone is comfortable taking that chance with Towers. And anyway, he seems to thrive in there. However, I don't want to see Reid or AA in there. Both are going to be critical in their key positions.
Btw - is Pink a backup option?
Agreed.

I rate Toby Pink, but a 20 yro, and I wouldn't want to throw him to the wolves either, any more than the 23 yro Darcy Cameron.

It's a huge concern. A dominant ruckman like Aaron Sandilands can single-handedly take the game away from you. We're just going to be patient, and nurse Callum Sinclair through 2018.

And after all, realistically, Sam Naismith has never been the most physically resilient player.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back