Ruck strategy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Why did he really retire then. What is he doing now, does he still live in sydney.

He retired from the game. If he had retired because of injury we’d have to pay his entire contract out and that isn’t the case.

I haven’t spoken to him so I can’t answer your other questions.

Why did he really retire then. What is he doing now, does he still live in sydney.

He is in Sydney attending Uni I think and still has a role with the Swans but I don't know what role that is. Potentially something they negotiated if it was a tap on the shoulder. He may have been told they want to blood the other rucks and game time may be limited in the coming years of his contract. His ankle may have meant a decent rehab and he may have thought lot to go through for limited games. Think it's then fair to say you are retiring as your body isn't up to it as that is what the club is also saying to him. I think most clubs show respect to the player in those situations. Time catches up and sometimes the bigger guys it happens almost over night. I would say a combination of reasons to retire.

If the Swans were to change their position on game time (Which I doubt they will) then maybe he would be willing to put himself through another tough rehab. All leans towards not happening but watching the ruck tonight i'd make the enquiry seeing as it wouldn't cost anything.

Cameron did a couple of good things so future signs are ok but we are going to get dominated there this year. Big ask to put together a winning season in that situation. Feel we will be thereabouts but it will be a deficiency come the big games.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
He is in Sydney attending Uni I think and still has a role with the Swans but I don't know what role that is. Potentially something they negotiated if it was a tap on the shoulder. He may have been told they want to blood the other rucks and game time may be limited in the coming years of his contract. His ankle may have meant a decent rehab and he may have thought lot to go through for limited games. Think it's then fair to say you are retiring as your body isn't up to it as that is what the club is also saying to him. I think most clubs show respect to the player in those situations. Time catches up and sometimes the bigger guys it happens almost over night. I would say a combination of reasons to retire.

If the Swans were to change their position on game time (Which I doubt they will) then maybe he would be willing to put himself through another tough rehab. All leans towards not happening but watching the ruck tonight i'd make the enquiry seeing as it wouldn't cost anything.

Cameron did a couple of good things so future signs are ok but we are going to get dominated there this year. Big ask to put together a winning season in that situation. Feel we will be thereabouts but it will be a deficiency come the big games.
Will it be a deficiency? Last I heard, Richmond won the 2017 AFL Premiership with 1 ruck and 1 tall(ish) forward. You play to your strengths, but you find a way to turn your weaknesses into strengths!

Will it be a deficiency? Last I heard, Richmond won the 2017 AFL Premiership with 1 ruck and 1 tall(ish) forward. You play to your strengths, but you find a way to turn your weaknesses into strengths!

A premiership is won one way and suddenly that's the only way to do it? All the other teams adopt the same approach?

Yes proves it can be done that way but you need to work on countering it not copying it.

The shorter kick approach seems to be getting a run but so far all I've seen is a Reliance on our defense to cover mid deficiency. We are the masters of this game but increase the pressure on the defense and cracks will form.

Think we would be the best in the comp if we could win the inside 50s more often and increase forward pressure which seems good at the moment. To achieve this, a ruck deficiency to a team that can lose the clearances is a problem.

Reality is we may not have that guy if another injury occurs and requires an adjustment of personnel and hope some can pinch hit. I look at it as a deficiency over a season. If SInclair can stay injury free I feel we can cover the issue. Cameron maybe not but he will get fast tracked which is at least a positive.

Think we would be the best in the comp if we could win the inside 50s more often and increase forward pressure which seems good at the moment. To achieve this, a ruck deficiency to a team that can lose the clearances is a problem.

Good point in a sage post.

Our ability to consistently win the ball inside 50 has been an issue for some years. Yes Rohan and Towers are ok at applying pressure on oppo defenders as they run the ball out but neither is adept at winning contested ball inside 50. Haywood has the better footy smarts but still lacks the body to consistently win contested ball. As it stands we are heavily reliant on Maxy3rd to win loose ball with his footy smarts and on our mids drifting forward.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
A premiership is won one way and suddenly that's the only way to do it? All the other teams adopt the same approach?

Yes proves it can be done that way but you need to work on countering it not copying it.

The shorter kick approach seems to be getting a run but so far all I've seen is a Reliance on our defense to cover mid deficiency. We are the masters of this game but increase the pressure on the defense and cracks will form.

Reality is we may not have that guy if another injury occurs and requires an adjustment of personnel and hope some can pinch hit. I look at it as a deficiency over a season. If SInclair can stay injury free I feel we can cover the issue. Cameron maybe not but he will get fast tracked which is at least a positive.
Did I say it was the ‘only way to do it’?

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Towers is going to be knakered after each game if the GWS JLT game is anything to go by. Robinson jumped in the ruck in the fourth to give him a breather. Cameron did alright, he'll improve leaps and bounds under Cox and with more game time. He's got a bit of mongrel does Cameron. Still, Sinkers starts round 1 with Towers as back up.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
There is zero chance that Cameron and Sinclair last the season. So what is the back up plan?

For mine, we have two options:
- Bring back Tippet
- Fast track Joel

I would be doing both.
I watched the entire Ressies practice match vs GWS. Amartey was very impressive FOR A KID, He has a great skill set, a good motor and plenty of ticker but he really struggled against Lobb, who is not as good a ruck as Simpson. His body really needs to develop more. He isn't Brodie Grundy or Paddy Rider, he's still pretty slight. If he lasts, he may well be our #1 ruck in 2-3 years but please let's not send him out against the likes of NicNat or big Maxy. Sinclair may not beat these guys but he can make a contest and back up again next week (usually).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Towers is going to be knakered after each game if the GWS JLT game is anything to go by. Robinson jumped in the ruck in the fourth to give him a breather. Cameron did alright, he'll improve leaps and bounds under Cox and with more game time. He's got a bit of mongrel does Cameron. Still, Sinkers starts round 1 with Towers as back up.

I agree. Towers was pretty good at what he had been asked to do, but the problem is that I think he really got beat up in that role as he is being asked to take on men who are 15cm taller than him and 20kg heavier. It is going to take a toll, and I don't think we can have Towers as the second ruckman every single week.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree. Towers was pretty good at what he had been asked to do, but the problem is that I think he really got beat up in that role as he is being asked to take on men who are 15cm taller than him and 20kg heavier. It is going to take a toll, and I don't think we can have Towers as the second ruckman every single week.
Hang on, hang on...beat up? His advantage as a non ruckman is that he can run rings around these dinosaurs.
There’s no extra energy in running and jumping in a Centre bounce contest, there’s no extra energy in a throw in (if there was, why was a 3rd man up a contentious issue?). I’m sorry, but a professional athlete, a utility at that, has all the credentials apart from height to be a ruck!

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Hang on, hang on...beat up? His advantage as a non ruckman is that he can run rings around these dinosaurs.
There’s no extra energy in running and jumping in a Centre bounce contest, there’s no extra energy in a throw in (if there was, why was a 3rd man up a contentious issue?). I’m sorry, but a professional athlete, a utility at that, has all the credentials apart from height to be a ruck!
Depending on the bounce, and from most throw ins, there is a lot of wrestling. Towers is great when he can get a run and jump, but wrestling with someone much bigger than you is exhausting. Outside of the centre bounce he will be up against it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Depending on the bounce, and from most throw ins, there is a lot of wrestling. Towers is great when he can get a run and jump, but wrestling with someone much bigger than you is exhausting. Outside of the centre bounce he will be up against it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good point. Definitely can’t argue with that!

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
The more I think about it, the more likely it is that AA will be put in the ruck.

I hope not, AA in ruck likely means Jones or Mills playing off HB which takes them away from the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back