Ruck strategy?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope not, AA in ruck likely means Jones or Mills playing off HB which takes them away from the midfield.
In 'Ask the Coach' Longmire clearly stated that:

- Mills is an outstanding HB and that they are very hard to come by. Mills would be playing mostly at half back with 'occasional' rotations through the middle.
- As a team they are developing a pool of about 9 players who can rotate through the middle and Mills is one of them.

Sounds to me like you are going to be disappointed.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I don't buy that Mills is going to be more capable physically of playing midfield than he is in defence. He's still young of course so he's gonna get a bit stronger, but his physical traits seem better used in defence. He's not overly quick, not overly strong and is OK in contested situations. Meanwhile his strengths (intercept marking, ability to play small, medium and somewhat tall, reading the play) are all best used in defence. I'd be leaving him there for sure.

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
- Mills is an outstanding HB and that they are very hard to come by. Mills would be playing mostly at half back with 'occasional' rotations through the middle.
- As a team they are developing a pool of about 9 players who can rotate through the middle and Mills is one of them.
I agree with the coach. Mills is a bloody good half-back. Best to play him there, until or unless we unearth someone who could slot into that role.

Young Ryley Stoddart is showing some promise, and is a beautiful user/distributor of the ball..

I agree with the coach. Mills is a bloody good half-back. Best to play him there, until or unless we unearth someone who could slot into that role.

Young Ryley Stoddart is showing some promise, and is a beautiful user/distributor of the ball..
Me too, Mills is brilliant in that role. If young Stoddart reaches the same level as Mills I will be absolutely delighted, and if he does it in the same timeframes (ie in his second year) then we will have another star on our hands!

I can envision AA being caught HTB frequently if he plays at the stoppages so certainly don’t want him in the ruck unless it’s an absolute last resort.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

Reckon you've got that right. Jones will spend more time in the mids. I think we need Mills more at HB atm than in midfield. Next season might be a different story. Still see Mills being groomed as the next Macca.

Reckon you've got that right. Jones will spend more time in the mids. I think we need Mills more at HB atm than in midfield. Next season might be a different story. Still see Mills being groomed as the next Macca.
Yep. Agreed.

He shadowed Macca in his first season & has that same poise about him in traffic/congestion. Smart kid who reads the play well, covers his weaknesses well & plays to his strengths.

At this stage, if he was to play midfield, it would be on the outside as a link up player or pushing up from defence/playing behind the ball. Don't get me wrong, I rate Millsy very highly & think he could be one of our best midfielders but at this stage think I'd rather see Jones/Paps/Hewy given first crack in there.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
The best coach of recent times, Clarkson, recognised the strengths and weaknesses of each player and the list he had collectively, and then devised a game plan
which worked to the strengths and covered the weaknesses. Game plans which won.

The challenge for Horse and co is whether simply to "make do" in the ruck, or be creative and devise a stoppage strategy which recognises the lack of ruck strength, and plays to our midfield strength.

But will he do it?

Unfortunately I don't think he will. He is too conservative.

"The Swans won't try to lure Tippett back"

The standard HS paywall blurb 'There's more to this story' seems apt.

Andrew Ireland pretty much put it to rest a couple of days ago. Said technically he could play but Tippett took time to reach that decision to retire due to the lengthy rehab for the ankle. They will trust the guys on the list to do the job.

Wish they wouldn't always use the line technically he is still on the list etc it just keeps that slight speculation alive. Makes me think they are waiting to see how a rehab goes and if they cop any further ruck injuries before they close the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Ireland pretty much put it to rest a couple of days ago. Said technically he could play but Tippett took time to reach that decision to retire due to the lengthy rehab for the ankle. They will trust the guys on the list to do the job.

Wish they wouldn't always use the line technically he is still on the list etc it just keeps that slight speculation alive. Makes me think they are waiting to see how a rehab goes and if they cop any further ruck injuries before they close the door.

Could be, or maybe they dont want to be seen to bag tippett by saying nah no way dont need that w***er

With Nankervis effectively being Richmond's only ruckman surely we are also down to a 1 ruck,Towers/etc filling in, as required?

Well obviously that's your opinion and another chance at having a pot shot. Do your worst mate, if it pleases you.

I didnt mean I was calling him that, should of written it better

I mean they do not want to insult him by making it seem he is not up to it (if they thought that) so easier to say you never know

Sinclair has been disappointing so far IMO. When Charlie Dixon was moved into ruck it proved a very good move for Port. Sinclair doesn't compete much when the ball hits the deck and if he does impact a contest it's not usually clean.

Early days and I hope he improves as the season progresses but it's an area other teams can exploit. Naismith's injury is a big loss even if his usefulness was mainly in tap work. If our mids are pressured well enough our ruck deficiency is exposed.

Skystyler

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2007
Austinmer
AFL Club
Sydney
We know Sinclair's ceiling, and its not very high. I will be amazed if he lasts the whole season rucking solo. He's taking a beating and working his butt off.
I reckon this will be a problem for us all year.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Chicago Bulls
Looking head a bit here but I think we need to look at Tom Hickey from St Kilda. He doesn't seem to be in Richo's plans heading forward. Would be a much better option than Sinclair.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Get Preuss mid season

Problem solvered

I don't think the mid-season trading period is going to happen this year somehow, given discussions are still at an early stage. Probability of Tippo coming out of retirement slightly increased. :p

Get Preuss mid season

Problem solvered

I expect another trading ban if Sydney bring in a player to fill a need.

Especially if its completely within the guidelines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back