Ruckman top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I originally scoffed at you having Gawn so high up but I guess he really is the best of his generation. Almost a shoe in for A.A year in year out.

By fit I meant not injured, Gawn gets meaningless possessions because he genuinely kicks like s**t.

Naitanui wins the ball at the contest and is a far better tap ruckman.

The game big Gawny got dropped by the smallest man in the league? Pathetic.
The funniest thing is that the best year West Coast has had since Nik Nat got drafted was in 2018 when they won the premiership while he wasn't playing lol

Max won the AFLCA player of the year that year too.......

Who had to go out of the ruck in lieu of 19yo Luke Jackson, so that Melbourne could actually get control of the game.

Real inspiring stuff..

Probably not at 100% after he had just come of one of the greatest games ever by a ruckman, with a clear BOG 5 goal haul in the preliminary final.

Just had a look, NikNat kicked 3 for the whole year :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Never saw Farmer play, but from what I've heard he was probably the greatest ruckman of all time.

But it's a bit deceptive to say he was 6 x premiership player. He won 1 at the top level. Nobody is referring to Mitch White as a premiership player on here, and he was best on the ground in the VFL grand final.
No reason to believe that the levels between the state comps at the time were that different.

The funniest thing is that the best year West Coast has had since Nik Nat got drafted was in 2018 when they won the premiership while he wasn't playing lol

Max won the AFLCA player of the year that year too.......

Probably not at 100% after he had just come of one of the greatest games ever by a ruckman, with a clear BOG 5 goal haul in the preliminary final.

Just had a look, NikNat kicked 3 for the whole year :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Naitanui was a huge reason we made that GF in the first place, why does he destroy Gawn every time they play each other?

Naitanuis been better than Gawn when fit.
Based on what? He's never been a high TOG ruckman which is IMO a massive mark against him. He's never really been that dangerous if he were rested forward, even though his physical assets should make him an impossible match up. He does some really flashy things, some that are great but he doesn't do them consistently through the game. Nic Nat is probably the most explosive ruckman ever, he is insanely physically gifted but outside of bashing and crashing his way through a clearance (which is great to watch) if he doesn't win the tap he offers very little else around the ground. If he had a great tank or maybe better footy IQ he would be in the discussion but unfortunately he doesn't.

Yeah because he’s a ******* media darling, probably deserves 4 which is still good but it’s ridiculous the hype for him at this point.
You really want to talk about media darlings when you have been talking about Nic Nat? I live in Perth, the guy is everywhere, if he does a s**t the paper reports on it. He's one of the most overrated players in WA for a long while.

Who had to go out of the ruck in lieu of 19yo Luke Jackson, so that Melbourne could actually get control of the game.

Real inspiring stuff..
I love how you're refusing to mention that he kicked 5 goals in the PF, 4 of which came within about 10 minutes. Nic Nat could play a million games and he wouldn't be able to achieve that.

West Coast supporters can be so one-eyed sometimes.

Based on what? He's never been a high TOG ruckman which is IMO a massive mark against him. He's never really been that dangerous if he were rested forward, even though his physical assets should make him an impossible match up. He does some really flashy things, some that are great but he doesn't do them consistently through the game. Nic Nat is probably the most explosive ruckman ever, he is insanely physically gifted but outside of bashing and crashing his way through a clearance (which is great to watch) if he doesn't win the tap he offers very little else around the ground. If he had a great tank or maybe better footy IQ he would be in the discussion but unfortunately he doesn't.
Based on him being the best clearance ruckman of all time?

That “poor tank” and “Low footy IQ” led to having about 2 less effective disposals a game than Gawn in 20/21.

Meanwhile he was getting more clearances, more tackles and more hit outs to advantage, score involvements similar despite being in a worse team.

How is that offering very little else around the ground? Those 2 effective possessions the difference between a goat and a highlight reel apparently.

You really want to talk about media darlings when you have been talking about Nic Nat? I live in Perth, the guy is everywhere, if he does a s**t the paper reports on it. He's one of the most overrated players in WA for a long while.
Naitanui was overrated early on and it completely swung the other way after his first injury.

Gawn has been overrated for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I got you confused with Shueygod, who seems completely obsessed with the Gawn/Nic Nat debate.

But anyway, Gawn's a champ. Nic Nat is good too but I know who I'd prefer.
I will admit, even knowing what we do now, I'm not sure if I would draft Gawn before Nic Nat. I think he offers a bit more versatility than Gawn and I've always wondered if a position change may have been better for him, especially given that the eagles have always had pretty decent ruck stocks.

Naitanui was a huge reason we made that GF in the first place, why does he destroy Gawn every time they play each other?
He didn't play the last 6 games or finals

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Naitanui was overrated early on and it completely swung the other way after his first injury.

Gawn has been overrated for years.
Over rated players arn't 6 time AA's who have won the AFLCA award

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How was Gawnys efficiency in the GF? Reckon he probably hit more bulldog chests than Melbourne ones that day.
From memory his hit outs to advantage was around 50% But he also got over 20 disposals, took 5 marks and kicked a very nice goal that was taken off him.

Nic Nat, on the other hand, was virtually non-existent in the one GF he played.

Lmao Naitanui has played 32 more games over his career and has four less All-Australians, while averaging less disposals, less than half the marks, half the contested marks, significantly less hitouts and the same amount of goals.

But but, Nic is the king of one-percenters! (he averages less of those too).

One is a premiership captain, AFLCA player of the year and elite endurance athlete. One can play around half a game before collapsing.

Naitanui's a nice guy and a good ambassador for the sport, but don't pretend that he's in the same league as Gawn.

I will admit, even knowing what we do now, I'm not sure if I would draft Gawn before Nic Nat. I think he offers a bit more versatility than Gawn and I've always wondered if a position change may have been better for him, especially given that the eagles have always had pretty decent ruck stocks.
Lol, in what world is Naitanui more versatile? You can't play guys that big that are unable to mark the ball in any other position.

Gawn's one of the best contested marks of all time, and can play all over the ground (a testament to not only his ability, but his endurance).

Lmao Naitanui has played 32 more games over his career and has four less All-Australians, while averaging less disposals, less than half the marks, half the contested marks, significantly less hitouts and the same amount of goals.

But but, Nic is the king of one-percenters! (he averages less of those too).

One is a premiership captain, AFLCA player of the year and elite endurance athlete. One can play around half a game before collapsing.

Naitanui's a nice guy and a good ambassador for the sport, but don't pretend that he's in the same league as Gawn.
So he gets 2 less effective possessions, less marks, far more clearances, likely a similar number of hit outs to advantage and more tackles over their careers.

Gawn also has more flangers and turnovers.

Statistically it’s actually pretty even, guess it depends on if you want a few more marks and touches a game or one of the best clearance players in the comp.

Kind of like comparing Oliver and peak Andrew Gaff, I know who I’m taking between those two.

Last edited:
Lol, in what world is Naitanui more versatile? You can't play guys that big that are unable to mark the ball in any other position.

Gawn's one of the best contested marks of all time, and can play all over the ground (a testament to not only his ability, but his endurance).
You can’t play all over the ground when you spray kicks left and right, the only players who actually get away with that at AFL level are full backs and inside mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back