Rules Ruckmen, are they really needed? šŸŖœ

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhyys

Rookie
Apr 14, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Iā€™m probably only a 1/3 serious by asking this, could you swap out your ruckman for an agile, big bodied midfielder? Obviously you wonā€™t win the hitouts, and will have a disadvantage at centre clearances, Like the lions, could they run some centre bounces utilising an extra mid over an ruckman that would be less agile? Is intentionally ruining the centre bounce ruck contest against the rules?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Iā€™m probably only a 1/3 serious by asking this, could you swap out your ruckman for an agile, big bodied midfielder? Obviously you wonā€™t win the hitouts, and will have a disadvantage at centre clearances, Like the lions, could they run some centre bounces utilising an extra mid over an ruckman that would be less agile? Is intentionally ruining the centre bounce ruck contest against the rules?

There are teams that have done this past and present, usually by replacing the second ruck with a big bodied player.

But long term it has never been a viable tactic (for the first ruck) for two reasons:

1. Rucks can be overrated but if you get destroyed in the ruck it makes a big difference to the game (especially in a final).
  2. If the opposition ruck is any good you have the problem of not have anyone to mind them around the ground. Imagine what a Max Gawn would do without someone near his size to mind him.
Was more viable when third man up was allowed.

Pies looking to recruit SOS ?

Spending a huge chunk of your cap on a ruck is rarely a good idea but you need above average to win a flag.

Pretty sure his youngest got picked up by our vfl squad

There are teams that have done this past and present, usually by replacing the second ruck with a big bodied player.

But long term it has never been a viable tactic (for the first ruck) for two reasons:

1. Rucks can be overrated but if you get destroyed in the ruck it makes a big difference to the game (especially in a final).
  2. If the opposition ruck is any good you have the problem of not have anyone to mind them around the ground. Imagine what a Max Gawn would do without someone near his size to mind him.
Was more viable when third man up was allowed.

I think I very well might of Jinxed Darcy Cameron.

Umpires can't bounce the ball half the time
They can't officiate the rollers of blocking in the rich properly.
Go netball and take it on turns to start from the middle

Umpires can't bounce the ball half the time
They can't officiate the rollers of blocking in the rich properly.
Go netball and take it on turns to start from the middle
I don't mean to remove the position completely, I was just thinking more of using it as a strategy, Collingwood is doing it now albeit not by choice, but it adds to what point I was making. Interesting discussion here about it

Now that its blown up in the media I wish this thread was created in the right subforum

Pies looking to recruit SOS ?

Spending a huge chunk of your cap on a ruck is rarely a good idea but you need above average to win a flag.
Disagree. Do not think Nank is any more than average but won 3.

In fact he is probably below average.

This may be an anomaly though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back