Society/Culture Ruckus on the Rock

Remove this Banner Ad

Essentially, you're a dickhead if you choose to climb - best of luck to the tiny minority of tourists and the handful of angry white keyboard warriors in their losing battle.

Why is someone a dickhead for climbing the rock? People have been climbing the the rock for a 100 years and don't give me the BS that it is a sacred site.

Why is someone a dickhead for climbing the rock? People have been climbing the the rock for a 100 years and don't give me the BS that it is a sacred site.

Because the traditional owners politely ask you not to. It's not exactly a mystery.

Sure, Paddy Uluru may have thought differently in that one conversation I'm sure you're not in any way inventing out of desperation to make an internet point, but the current day Anangu leaders have made their feelings pretty clear.

You're the tourism equivalent of someone having a loud phone conversation in a crowded train carriage or double parking.

Because the traditional owners politely ask you not to. It's not exactly a mystery.

Sure, Paddy Uluru may have thought differently in that one conversation I'm sure you're not in any way inventing out of desperation to make an internet point, but the current day Anangu leaders have made their feelings pretty clear.

You're the tourism equivalent of someone having a loud phone conversation in a crowded train carriage or double parking.
He didn't invent it. He stole it from a website and didn't use quotes. He is also the local RSS feed. Only posts in videos/memes/articles.

When I was there 5 years ago, when ever there was a bus load of Japanese tourist on the way, they would close the climbing and open it when they left.
It's all about the cost of rescuing stranded climbers and nothing about sacred sites, get a clue noddy.

When I was there 5 years ago, when ever there was a bus load of Japanese tourist on the way, they would close the climbing and open it when they left.
It's all about the cost of rescuing stranded climbers and nothing about sacred sites, get a clue noddy.

I couldn't really care less what the motivation is - it's spelled out fairly plainly at the base they'd prefer people not climb.

You (and a comparatively tiny number of others) opt to proceed regardless. Hence; dickhead. Simply amazing that they don't want to spend money rescuing those of your ilk when you get into trouble mid-climb!

I couldn't really care less what the motivation is - it's spelled out fairly plainly at the base they'd prefer people not climb.

You (and a comparatively tiny number of others) opt to proceed regardless. Hence; dickhead. Simply amazing that they don't want to spend money rescuing those of your ilk when you get into trouble mid-climb!
I have climbed all over the olgas, finke gorge and kings canyon, the only difference is there is less international tourist and less chance of getting stranded.
The Olgos and kings canyon, to me, looks like they would have more cultural significance to the indigenous than ayers rock.

Last edited:
That's not rock, this is a rock.
Twice the size of Ayers rock, I got half way up and turned around.
And if it suddenly took on the profile of Uluru would we suddenly have punitive restrictions applied? It is also culturally significant. Also interested in the whole ownership question of a natural landform at least 1500 million years old.

Last edited:
And if it suddenly took on the profile of Uluru would we suddenly have punitive restrictions applied? It is also significant. Also interested in the whole ownership question of a natural landform at least 1500 million years old.

On the west side of mt augustus at sunset is breath taking, I will have to dig out some pics, it shits all over ayers rock.

Construction of the local resort cost the Australian taxpayer hundreds of millions of dollars and is staffed by approximately 40% indigenous people. What if this decision results in a sharp decline in tourism to the red centre?

It will.

You could argue that this could get caught up in the religious freedoms debate with Indigenous Australian using their faith as a reason to block people climbing Uluru in the same way that a faith based school has the right to block people from certain positions

...and that's exactly what's happening.

Well therein lies the challenge.

Need to be able to sell its significance as a cultural attraction that need not be climbed. It's an opportunity for indigenous Australians to share what the rock means to them to the wider world (if indeed that's what they want?)

Shifting many people away from their desire to "climb and conquer" to a desire to explore and understand is a challenge but not an insurmountable one.

It's a beautiful piece of nature with magnificent views from the top. It's of national significance not just relevant to local Indigenous people. There's conflicting views of whether the whole of the rock is sacred or just a few smaller sites.

A sensible compromise would be to restrict the climb to walks up the rock guided by local indigenous Australians who could explain the cultural significance of it and provide first aid assistance if that is an issue. Charge $30 or $40 per head or package it up with bush tucker, didgeridoo, dreamtime, boomerang etc experience.

Yet more than happy to stick their hand out for money for their fancy new resort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I blame Shane Howard and Goanna.

I blame the communist party in the 1950's who identified aboriginals as a means to their agendas.

This is where this stuff springs from.

RWNJ: All these muslims and immigrants are coming in and replacing us and our culture, we won't have culture left anymore

Aboriginals: stop climbing our rock and respect our culture. We have to protect it otherwise we might lose our culture

RWNJ: Why can't we climb the rock!! Booo, it's ours too, your culture sucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back