Rugby’s Olympic opportunity encourages talent to switch codes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Something to keep an eye on. And not just in the Rugby states. Friend of mine is an avid Crows supporter, and plays womens Union in Adelaide.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...tunity-encourages-talent-to-switch-codes.aspx

Six of the 12 Australian Women’s Sevens squad, plus the two travelling reserves, are from Queensland, some of who are products of the Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) QAS Women’s Sevens academy. Queenslanders Charlotte Caslick, Emilee Cherry, Gemma Etheridge, Evania Pelite, Amy Turner and travelling reserves Brooke Walker and Dominique Du Toit all switched codes from touch football, while Shannon Parry came from a hockey and tennis background.

A significant number of women from the current squad at the QRU academy have come from other sports, which include touch football, netball, rugby league, hockey and athletics.

Something to keep an eye on. And not just in the Rugby states. Friend of mine is an avid Crows supporter, and plays womens Union in Adelaide.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...tunity-encourages-talent-to-switch-codes.aspx
Personally doubt it is an issue for footy. Olympics every 4 years verse a semi Pro televised national league.

I actually think it will work out in reverse, 7s will attract women, mainly from touch, but only a small number will play for Australia. I think footy will cherry pick the talent from the code, or they will get bled white paying them all to keep them.

Wouldn't even be surprised to see some of the Olympians hats go in the ring for the inaugural footy league.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Personally doubt it is an issue for footy. Olympics every 4 years verse a semi Pro televised national league.

I actually think it will work out in reverse, 7s will attract women, mainly from touch, but only a small number will play for Australia. I think footy will cherry pick the talent from the code, or they will get bled white paying them all to keep them.

Wouldn't even be surprised to see some of the Olympians hats go in the ring for the inaugural footy league.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I think year 2 or 3 when the trial year is over, and the rest of the teams come in, and we've got an idea of what the actual wages will be - that will be the time for other sports to be concerned.

I think year 2 or 3 when the trial year is over, and the rest of the teams come in, and we've got an idea of what the actual wages will be - that will be the time for other sports to be concerned.
I will add some bits and pieces we found on Womens Sport in general incl our game.
Cricket Australia have set the income for the 180 Women Cricket players in State Cricket AND Big Bash - $18,000 per season. Another reference point for the AFL to use.

The Australian paper of Mon Aug 22 had article by Darren Davidson on Australian Womens Rugby League and its GROWTH.
Figures from the article which is behind a paywall.
400,000 playing -tackle,tag,touch.= of which 170,000 are school girls.
Growth of 26% in 2015.
The Jillaroos (National team who regularly play NZ it seems.) Attracted 500,000 people either at the ground or on TV last year.
The NRL are aiming for a Womens league in 2020/22 (Not in the article)

Womens sport is expanding quickly on the national stage and our game will be one of the major actors on that stage.

The WA Football Commission(Who are Independent from the AFL) has commissioned by a private Management Company a review of the whole footy structure in WA. One of the key areas will be Womens Footy. The WAFC want to know if the present set up can cater for the anticipated expansion of playing numbers in the future, and what recommendations are needed if it cannot not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back