Rugby in Western and Northern Australia in July and August

Remove this Banner Ad

Schenkeli

Draftee
Dec 27, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi everyone, we wil be doing a road trip from Perth to Darwin and Cairns next year from 12.07. till 04.09.2020 - and then spend a few days in Sydney at the end.
We would like to watch some Rugby Live along the way - it doesn't need to be the top league which I guess is centered in the South and East of the Country. Some semi-professional / minor / hobby league would be fine as well. Is July / August a good time to watch Rugby? Are there any leagues active?
How would I find out about any match schedules in the area of Geraldton, Carnavon, Exmouth, Broom, Derby, Katherin, Darwin and Cairns in July and August?
Thanks for your help,
Thomas

Hi everyone, we wil be doing a road trip from Perth to Darwin and Cairns next year from 12.07. till 04.09.2020 - and then spend a few days in Sydney at the end.
We would like to watch some Rugby Live along the way - it doesn't need to be the top league which I guess is centered in the South and East of the Country. Some semi-professional / minor / hobby league would be fine as well. Is July / August a good time to watch Rugby? Are there any leagues active?
How would I find out about any match schedules in the area of Geraldton, Carnavon, Exmouth, Broom, Derby, Katherin, Darwin and Cairns in July and August?
Thanks for your help,
Thomas

Best looking at the respective state union websites and seeing if there are any teams in the towns you are heading through. I think you'll get Aussie Rules or Rugby League mainly, with Cairns your best chance of seeing any sort of Union. Outside Sydney and Brisbane, Union clubs are very slim on the ground.

Cairns is a great place to watch some good rugby with seven 1st grade clubs Barron Bulls who play at Machans Beach, Brothers who play next door to North Cairns Tigers Aussie Rules Club, Uni Mariners who play at James Cook Uni at Smithfield, Beaches Mudcrabs who play at Yorkeys Knob, Port Douglas Raiders in Port Douglas, Southside Crusaders who play in Edmonton and West Barlow, Wanderers RUC who play In Parramatta Park a few minutes from the city.
Plus their are the above clubs in Reserve Grade as well as Innisfail, Mareeba and Penrhyn.

The best clubs to watch are Barron, Uni, Beaches and Wanderers.
If you like flair then go to a Penrhyn game, Penrhyn is an island in the Cook Islands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back