NRL Rugby league ratings, crowd and the media discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL Round 11

This week is the last full round of matches before State of Origin kicks in. The top rating game on free to air tv was Thursday nights Sharks v Cowboys affair which reached 422,000 metro and 307,000 regional viewers. Total Free to air viewing for the round was 1.949 million.

On Foxtel the highest rating game of the week was Saturday evenings Eels v Raiders clash with 271,000 viwers on Fox League. ASTRA rated Foxleague the #2 Foxtel channel behind Foxfooty for the sixth week running.

For the season NRL free to air matches are down 14% on average with Sydney metro down 23% to a 273,000 average and Brisbane up 11% to 175,000. This season most Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth ratings are not available, however these matches shown on GEM colectively average 30,000 for the season.

Foxtel matches are down slightly, just 0.43% to an average of 236,000. (Syd 93,000 ave, Mel 14,000 Bris 46,000 Adl 3,000 Per 6,000 Metro 161,000 Reg 76,000).

In total the NRL ratings are down 5% overall down to a total of 43.03 million for 2017.

So for the double header games the crowd gets counted twice? I guess it's hard to allow for in totals and averages but to my way of thinking there was a combined crowd of 44,127 for the two games. It seems kind of strange to have it counted as 88,254.

It's the difference between Round 10 being the biggest round of the year and it being only 6th best.

So for the double header games the crowd gets counted twice? I guess it's hard to allow for in totals and averages but to my way of thinking there was a combined crowd of 44,127 for the two games. It seems kind of strange to have it counted as 88,254.

It's the difference between Round 10 being the biggest round of the year and it being only 6th best.

my understanding is thats how its officially counted, its how afltables counted previous ones as well

Yep its a simple mistake, hardly a conspiracy against the AFL.

I can now sleep easy tonight:p

Who said it was a conspiracy, it was obviously a simple error.

If we are talking conspiracies, then you may have a case if you look at some crowd stats.

2017NRLLow20_R11.png

Only 2 crowds in the 9k range and 11 crowds just over the 10k mark but lower than 11k

10,000 + certainly sounds a lot bigger and far more acceptable than 9,000 IMO.

Mathematically i wouldn't know the % of that likelihood happening, but i am guessing you could make a conspiracy out of that.

If we are talking conspiracies, then you may have a case if you look at some crowd stats.

2017NRLLow20_R11.png

Only 2 crowds in the 9k range and 11 crowds just over the 10k mark but lower than 11k

Mathematically i wouldn't know the % of that likelihood happening, but i am guessing you could make a conspiracy out of that.
There lies the problem with your entire post.

For the record, I've been at several of the games listed and I would have guessed the crowd was about right. But like you, I'm only guessing.

There lies the problem with your entire post.

For the record, I've been at several of the games listed and I would have guessed the crowd was about right. But like you, I'm only guessing.

Yes, i am guessing, i mean what would be the real point of adding on 10% or less to get you over the magical 10k mark ?.

Arguably it is just GST anyway.

Mind you, would it be odd if it was reversed and there were 2 games between 10 and 11k and 11 games between 9 and 10k ?.

Would that be panic stations at the NRL ?.

Last edited:
Yes, i am guessing, i mean what would be the real point of adding on 10% or less to get you over the magical 10k mark ?.

Arguably it is just GST anyway.

Mind you, would it be odd if it was reversed and there were 2 games between 10 and 11k and 11 games between 9 and 10k ?.

Would that be panic stations at the NRL ?.
I don't think they'd be freaking out if crowds were in between 9-10k rather than 10-11k. What would be the point?

I'm not really sure the amount of crowds around 10k is really where I want this thread to head. To a poster we'd all agree NRL crowds, especially in Sydney are nowhere near what they should be and I'd rather see us give thoughts on ways to improve crowds.

2017NRLLow20_R11.png

I thought the parra canberra crowd looked thicker then the dogs roosters crowd which was posted at 15k.

I'm not really sure the amount of crowds around 10k is really where I want this thread to head. To a poster we'd all agree NRL crowds, especially in Sydney are nowhere near what they should be and I'd rather see us give thoughts on ways to improve crowds.

Got to convince the clubs, and the NRL that ANZ Stadium is a poor venue for regular NRL matches, and should be kept for big events like Origin or public holiday events with a big buildup. Folks dont seem to like going there otherwise, and the clubs are only going for the most part because they either have no choice during finals or because they are getting paid.

The problem though is that the State would rather plug money into three showpiece stadiums that can hold other significant events like Wallabies and Socceroo fixtures, rather than invest in smaller suburban structures.

Ideally for the NRL clubs/fans - and perhaps Union and the A-league - the Government would have chosen either the SFS or ANZ to redevelop - not both - and spent the rest of the money on redeveloping those 20,000 seat venues still in use by NRL/Aleague clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why we expect them to be! They always have been around that mark.

NRL - Round 12, 2017

Note: this round only had 4 games with Origin scheduled for Wednesday night.

Friday nights Souths v Eels clash was the top rating game of the round on FTA with 440,000 watching on Nine and GEM while a further 317,000 are estimated to have watched on regional affiliates. Saturdays New Zealand v Brisbane game took the chocolates on Fox however, with 254,000 watching on Foxleague.

The Friday game was the top rating FTA game in Sydney (240,000), while Sundays Raiders v Roosters match was top rating on FTA in Brisbane (171,000). The Friday game is estimated to have rated higher in the regionals at 317k.

Saturdays Sharks v Dogs match was a winner on Fox in Sydney with 88k, 15k preferred the Friday night game in Melbourne, Brisbane took a shine to the Broncos/Warriors gig with 65,000. All Foxtel matches in Adelaide rated the bare minimum 1,000 and Perth showed a liking for the Saturday game with 16,000 watched on Foxleague.

Total ratings for the round are estimated at 2.29 million (estimates had to be used for both regionals on Thursday and Sunday, as well as GEM on Sunday). Metro FTA rated to 832,000 (-1%), Regional 599k (-2%) and Fox 859k (-13%). For the season Metro FTA have reached 13.965 million (-8%), Regionals 9.21 million (-11%) and Fox 21.6 million (-0.98%). Total season ratings 45.922 million (-5%). Note: This figure does not include New Zealand ratings - we have almost no idea what they are with no figures since 2014.

In the cities Sydney is down -28% to an average of 197k, while Brisbane is up 3% to 162,000. GEM (combined Mel-Adel-Per) ratings average 30,000. In the regions the average is down -7% to 263,000.

On Foxtel, Sydney average 91,000, Melbourne 14,000, Brisbane 45,000, Adelaide 2,500 and Perth 6,300. Metro rates 153,000, Regional 76,000.

ASTRA has rated Foxleague the number 2 STV channel for the 7th week in a row, behind Foxfooty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back